QUERY: how to build/compile NDS homebrew source code

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by andwan0, Jan 21, 2010.

1. andwan0
    OP

Newcomer andwan0 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Does anyone know what one needs to build NDS homebrew source code? Especially for http://www.rodrigoroman.com/rrc2soft/nds_dszhongwen.html ? The author's website and documentation doesn't tell in easy/beginner/newbie terms how to build... and I think the developer has gone walkies.

If anyone can build the project and tell me what I need then much appreciated!

2. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Use DevkitPro and PALib.
    [​IMG]

(Use google btw)

3. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    palib is all just libraries. no compiler included. But you'll need palib for the headers still.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I've been wondering this myself... I grabbed DevkitPro and installed it, but it doesn't tell you how to compile the source to a usable file.
    I've already read over the Setting Up page -- http://www.devkitpro.org/setup.shtml -- but I think it's outdated since all that was already done during install.
    And their wiki -- http://wiki.devkitpro.org/index.php/Main_Page -- is... well, kind of bare. The placeholder text is still there for the various DevKit groups. Searching gives 1 result for "compile" and that's dealing with help via IRC.

So does anyone have a guide or tutorial?

5. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    umm... i think there should be dsbuild or someshit like that. You drag the include file into it or something and it builds. I haven't been doing any ds homebrew stuff lately.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Install devkitPro, open a command prompt/terminal, navigate to the directory in which the homebrew is (folder with "makefile" in it) and type "make". Simple as that. Depending on the homebrew, you may need to install PALib or other libraries to get it to compile properly.

7. andwan0
    OP

Newcomer andwan0 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I manage to install/setup devKitPro 1.5.0 as well as PALib (v 060917, 080823, 090801, 0912XX). Apparently I am having problems compiling because PALib has changed so much and many functions have either been removed or renamed.

I noted DSZhongwen latest source file dated 2007-08-15.. so am trying to find a PALib version dated around that time. If anyone knows PALib 2007 version then please point me in the right direction. Otherwise... how to fix?