Quality-Instructions Check

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by I2aven's_Sag, Dec 31, 2010.

Dec 31, 2010
  1. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Guide is from notebookreview. Wanted to get an outside opinion. Will probably perform the upgrade tomorrow.

Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tdlm7oowwe830t6

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Link is dead to me. You just want a wafer-thin and even layer with no bubbles if you can manage it. The Zalman thermal paste I use comes with a brush to make it as easy as applying nail varnish.

3. I2aven's_Sag
    OP

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Ahh that's unfortunate. I ordered some AS5 & Cleaning Solution to use next week, should get here by Tuesday. I'll re-apply that paste then, right now it's a crappy layer of OCZ Sidewinder (was my first time applying any type of thermal paste). Probably going to end up ordering a laptop cooler too, GDDR5 memory is definitely going to run hotter than GDDR3. I've heard you can use credit cards & so on as well to spread the paste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LMY3MM/ref=oss_product

Little worried about the application (since this one didn't go so well). From what I've been told, it's better to use less then a lot, and that the heatsink should spread it fine (so you don't have to worry about the creation of airbubbles). As always, thanks for the quick response Originality.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I just use the line method

basically just put a line of thermal paste down the middle of the chip
    then plop the HSF on, the pressure from the HSF will spread out the paste evenly