Python

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sora de Eclaune, Jun 3, 2011.

Jun 3, 2011

Python by Sora de Eclaune at 6:26 AM (620 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I was going to make a visual novel with Ren'py, so I started learning the Python programming language, but in the end it turned out that Ren'py wasn't what I wanted to use at all. It did not have all of the features I was looking for.

How exactly would I get started in making a visual novel from scratch, and for the Nintendo DS (or at least able to be converted to work on the Nintendo DS somehow)? I was looking to make a little visual novel with more than sound, images, and text... With video and RPG elements and inventory, as well.

My grasp of the language right now isn't all that great, but I assure you that I can at least work with most anything you give me.

2. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Ren'py can do the things you described (videos and RPG elements), as far as I know. I started a visual novel on it (still in the planning stages, i'm still at a loss for visuals). It's pretty packed with features.

As for making a VN for the DS, I have no idea unfortunately.

I'm sure you probably did, but did you check out Ren'pys tutorial? It's handy and makes things seem so simple.

3. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States

I have tried working with Ren'py, but a lot of the times when I needed full-screen elements, it would either ignore the command altogether or glitch the visual novel to the point that the only way to fix that was to take out the command. I checked multiple times that my code wasn't having any conflicts, but I couldn't find any reason for the glitching.

It also repeatedly glitched whenever I attempted to use character shortcuts. It would either ignore the shortcuts and produce a nameplate with one letter on it or it would produce an error that crashed the game. And when I attempted to make it have no nameplate at all (for narrators and the like) it would ignore the command and give a nameplate anyway.

I ended up getting frustrated with the system and deleted anything having to do with Ren'py from my system.

4. Hells Malice

Canada
    Weird, I didn't have any issues like that when I was practicing all the different things.

Aside from Ren'py I can't think of any real VN engine to use. Besides the Blade engine, but I ditched that thing in a flash.

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Well what if I created my own engine? Would that work?

6. Hells Malice

Canada
    The effort required to create your own engine is fairly staggering, and the chances of it being better then Ren'py would be slim (no offense, they have a team who made it, and it probably took 'em a while still).
    Unless you have a programming background i'm not aware of (which is possible).

I'm starting to wonder if it was the engines fault, or perhaps you made a small error when typing the code?
    Ren'py may simplify things but it does directly interpret python code as far as i'm aware. Making 1 mistake will completely fuck it up. So it's perfectly possible for you to have made an error somewhere.

I wont pretend to be a master of this kind of thing, but i'm pretty good at troubleshooting. If you feel like it, you could give it a go again, and if stuff goes wrong again, you could PM me the lines of code you're trying to use.

7. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Well, I did try a template code, just in case, but that didn't really work either.