OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah Soda Pop, an enjoyable beverage.
Unfortunately for some (Diabetics for instance) this pleasure seems out of reach. This is because regular soda has SUGAR(By sugar I am not talking about real cane sugar, but High-Fructose Corn Syrup that is x10 sweeter and cheaper!) and SUGAR can become lethal for Diabetics.(I.E. Get knocked into a comma, get an arm or leg amputated, death, etc.) So the solution? Soda that has sweeteners that tastes close to HFCS but without the dangers of sugar byproducts. Otherwise known as Diet soda. The term Diet most likely came from the fact that this soda was intended for those that wish to enjoy soda, but are on a diet that normally deprives those on said diet of anything sweet.

Wow, technology today is amazing! You can drink all the soda you want, and not die from consuming far too much sugar. Pleasure without the punishment.

O RLY?

Well...Diet Soda is not exactly as healthy as bottling companies make it out to be. In fact the main ingredients found in many diet sodas can be far more lethal than HFCS. Let's take a good look at two ingredients found only in diet soda.

1) Aspartame (An artificial sweetener)
2) Phenylalanine (A "dietary supplement")

Now wait, what's wrong with Aspartame? Alone, Aspartame won't kill a man, but when it is combines with Phenylalanine, it becomes a poison.

W-wait! I'm drinking POISON!?!
Unfortunately, yes you are indeed drinking poison. A sweet, addicting poison nonetheless.

According to many chemists and their research, dietitians, and websites such as as sweetpoison.com, this combination of chemicals can cause drastic effects on the human body when consumed over a set amount of time.

Will I be okay if I am not a soda "Chain Drinker" or "Sodaholic"?

No, the danger is the same to casual soda drinkers, but Sodaholics will hit the danger far sooner and get it harder than opposed to casual drinkers.

According to an acquaintance of mine (Whom has a habit of researching things alot.) drinking products with the Aspartame+Phenylalanine combination can cause your Thyroid Gland to become heavy, which can cause health problems and death.

There is also another ingredient found in most sodas that prevents IRON from being absorbed in the body, and yet another chemical that can weaken bone structure!

Wow, so should soda be abolished?

No, Soda is one of those "Slow Killers" that "If misused, much like over-the-counter medications can prove fatal."
In fact the FDA(Food-Drug Administration) sees no harm in the Aspartame+Phenylalanine combination when consumed normally (Like one glass a day, or three glasses a week.)

What the FDA fails to observe this that THIS IS AMERICA! The fattest, out of shape, and most disease infected people of the WORLD! (Or somewhat close)

Take a look around your local grocery store or shopping mall. You will see only a handful of fit people, the rest are out of shape. These are people that drink soda or other beverages that are intended for a "once in a while" use, not a "With every meal" use.

Well I'm fat, so I might as well just slowly die.

NO! You still have your youth! You still have time to reverse the effects of this deadly poison!

Well...what can I do?

You can start by either;

1) Reducing the amount of soda you drink in a month.

Here is a story that better explains method 1.

So there was this taxi driver that would have a 12 Pack of soda in his cab. At the end of the day, those 12 cans of soda were gone. One day, 12 cans of soda. The cab driver thought "Well this must not be very healthy tod be consuming all of those in one day!" So the cab driver came up with a plain. The next day the cab driver got a 12 pack of soda, and a 12 pack of bottled water. Every passing day, the cab driver exchanged 1 can of soda with 1 bottle of water. After 12 days the man was drinking nothing but water!

2) Dropping soda altogether.

*Warning, while dropping soda altogether might seem like an easy task at first, you need to take into consideration the drugs found in soda. Caffeine is found in most sodas and is habit-forming. If you just drop soda altogether, you will enter a state of caffeine withdrawal. During such withdrawals your body craves the caffeine and starts to act abnormally. Withdrawals can result in migraines, dizziness, sickness, and maybe depression. However, if you do not consume caffeine products within one week or more, then the withdrawal will wear off and you will return to normal heath.

You might just find yourself a bit lighter than you were before you stopped drinking soda! This is because even diet soda can cause weight gain. When you remove that from yourself, you lose the wait associated with it.

*Recovery

Now while it seems it would be easy to drop soda and never drink it again, there may be times where you'll be tempted. Even if you think you have control, you do not. If you do not have restraint, you will just take two steps forward just to take fifteen steps backward. If you do drink soda again, drink it like a fit person would. On rare occasions. Once a week, or twice a month seems to be a good rate, but you can go so far as to twice a week or once every two days and still be okay.

What are some soda alternatives?

1)Flavored Sparkling Water
If you go to your local grocery you should find some Flavored Sparkling Water/Flavored Carbonated Water.
This is similar to soda but with fewer chemicals.
It is Soda-water with a flavor. My Favorite one is Dark Cherry.

Now while it is not as harsh as soda, it can still be bad if used as a Water replacement.

2)Juice
No, Juicy Juice is not just for children! The best thing you can drink that tastes sweet is Juicy Juice, or some other knock-off brand. I like fruit punch and cherry flavors of Juicy Juice, but I haven't drank any in a long time!

3)Milk with syrup/powder mixes (Chocolate milk, Strawberry Milk, etc)
Unless you are lactose intolerant, flavored milk tastes good!
One powder mix I did enjoy was Cookies and Cream Milk, but unfortunately Nestle stopped making it! Dang it Nestle!

4) Koolaid
Oh yeah! Koolaid! It is basically flavoring and sugar mixed into water! No chemicals aside from those used to make the powder. No caffeine! There is a drawback though, if you are a diabetic, NO KOOLAID 4 U! As it contains sugar, it can be fatal to diabetics if consumed in alarming amounts.

5)WATER!
Water comes from the Earth, and from the sky! Heck, you are made of about 70% water! WATER IS YOU! THEREFORE WATER IS GOOD FOR YOU!

Closure:

Soda can be an enjoyable drink when consumed once in a while. The main thing to remember here is that with just about anything that you put into your body, too much of it can kill you! I don't wish to discourage or ban soda drinking unlike some other people in the world, however I do encourage people to avoid diet soda like the plague. Soda is a great treat on a hot summer day or after a hard day's work. There are plenty of flavors to sample and should be consumed slowly so one can enjoy all of the flavors that soda has to offer. America and other countries, take it slow, take it easy, and sip, don't swallow.

Discuss what you think about soda.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
tl;dr

I only read the summary/closure
biggrin.gif

campbell00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but such an opinionated post deserves (or warrants) an equally opinionated reaction. I did research, too: There is no conclusive evidence for the claims that you're making.

see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732

The FDA, which I trust way more than a gbatemp poster(no offense), lists the amount of safe intake of aspartame as the amount equivalent to 4 cans a day. The fact that you don't have any sources, aside from "your friend who does research...", makes this all the more questionable. It seems like you've all too quickly jumped on the paranoia bandwagon concerning diet soda. The fact is that we intake all sorts of chemicals, either voluntarily or not. For example, your pillow sheet is made up of a chemical that causes brain cancer. Have you ever heard of death by pillow sheet?

Also, there are no conclusive studies that PROVE that diet soda alone will cause weight gain. There have been studies that allege that it makes one feel hungrier, which can inadvertently lead to weight gain, but that's it.

tl;dr version: Prove it. I don't think you can.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@Campbell00

Yes this post is an opinionated summary of what I think I know about what diet soda does to somebody, but like you posted.
The FDA states that under normal consumption 4 cans a day, will not cause any health problems.

As for myself, I drink 6 Leaders of soda a week! So yeah...this was just kind of a "Hey, this is something else that has the potential to kill you but is not proven."

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I drink loads of Coke ect, and this isn't going to stop me, these days everything is bad for you and everything gives you cancer, I'm just going to live my life like I always have and ignore all of these types of things

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most diet sodas are switching to Apriva a.k.a. splenda which is a sugar alcohol not an artifical chemical sweetener. Trust me I had a surgery 3 years ago that requires I ingest no more than 3 grams of sugar in 1 hour or I can get very sick, so I know a lot on this topic. In fact alot of products are switching to apriva/splenda because it is made from REAL sugar and is just a sweet but doesn't raise blood sugar levels or coat the digestive tract. What you said about artifical sweeteners, them not being good for you, is likely true, but I have no proof, but splenda is not and I am biologically limited from real sugar so it is all I and those like me have.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you should have add drink soda everyday
because I drink soda every day, 1 to 2 cans everyday
yes I know it's bad for me, but I'm kinda addicted to it now

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Very, very old news but It seems no one here knows about it
mellow.gif

It actually fact it doesn't cause much damage, like booze your body learns to deal with the substances.

It's only going to kill you if you've never drank diet coke before and you drink 4L's in the one day (or something like that)

em2241992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soda is bad for you if you cannot control yourself. Diet Soda is cancer in a can, but I still drink because everything can give you cancer, in my opinion.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
em2241992 said:
Soda is bad for you if you cannot control yourself. Diet Soda is cancer in a can, but I still drink because everything can give you cancer, in my opinion.
That's like me saying, "thinking too hard can break your arm, in my opinion".

Things like that just can't be an opinion, it's either true or false. Also, there are very rarely any true all-encompassing statements, and that one is no exception.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:
5)WATER!
Water comes from the Earth, and from the sky! Heck, you are made of about 70% water! WATER IS YOU! THEREFORE WATER IS GOOD FOR YOU!
Lol. Human is me so would that be good for me to eat? You make it kind of sound like cannibalism
rofl.gif

Anyways, yeah soda is bad, but I'm a Sodaholic. the only time i don't drink soda is during football season b/c coach told me not to
frown.gif

You should also included that lite soda isn't as "deadly" as dark soda. And MSG is what weakens bone density but hey, they have that in most restaurants so eating out is a no also.(Unless they say the don't put MSG in their foods.)

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything can give you cancer these days so diet drinks having poison isn't going to stop me from drinking. It just tastes better (usually).

em2241992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
em2241992 said:

Things like that just can't be an opinion, it's either true or false. Also, there are very rarely any true all-encompassing statements, and that one is no exception.
Okay, then in moderation Soda is not harmful, but if anyone drinks it excessively it can be extremely bad for their health. Diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis in women, heart trouble from caffeine.
Diet Soda can also be incredibly dangerous because most of them are sweetened with Aspartame. Aspartame has scientific evidence which shows that it has a positive correlation with brain tumors. Additionally, artificial sweeteners consumed on an empty stomach makes the consumer crave carbs which usually makes them consume more food also resulting in obesity.
How is that?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
em2241992 said:
_Chaz_ said:
em2241992 said:

Okay, then in moderation Soda is not harmful, but if anyone drinks it excessively it can be extremely bad for their health. Diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis in women, heart trouble from caffeine.
Diet Soda can also be incredibly dangerous because most of them are sweetened with Aspartame. Aspartame has scientific evidence which shows that it has a positive correlation with brain tumors. Additionally, artificial sweeteners consumed on an empty stomach makes the consumer crave carbs which usually makes them consume more food also resulting in obesity.
How is that?
Not bad, but not exactly what I was addressing.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
already knew most of this, but I'm slowly getting tired of soda all together, but I chug down energy drinks, if I don't drink one at least every other day I start to get withdrawls from it, that reminds on my way to work tomorrow, I need to buy some

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
murkurie said:
already knew most of this, but I'm slowly getting tired of soda all together, but I chug down energy drinks, if I don't drink one at least every other day I start to get withdrawls from it, that reminds on my way to work tomorrow, I need to buy some

same, i don't drink a lot of fizzy drinks like coke but my god can i neck cans of relentless like no tomorrow, i am trying to cut them down and stick to fruit juice or smoothies which is more healthier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup