Purple screen after region change? Help!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Riveneye, Aug 23, 2011.

Aug 23, 2011
  1. Riveneye
    OP

Newcomer Riveneye Newbie

United States
    Alright I need some serious help.
    So a little while ago I was using my ntsc softmodded wii with 4.1 hardware to change the region to play some pal games. (dunno why I didn't just fiddle with neogamma)
    Anyway I was using the region changer on the wiibrew website and after I had confirmed to Europe and rebooted I got a giant purple and green screen on my tv. Tried restarting a couple of times and messing with it on different tvs but couldn't get the screen to go away.
    I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. I mean it doesn't look bricked. Should I try using a unbricking program or am I screwed. I obviously can't get to the menu so yea.....
    Anyway I'd be really grateful for some help

2. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Dont worry.

If you have bootmii on your wii you could restore your nand if you backed it up. Did you?

You could also try and see if preloader comes up, right after powering on your wii keep holding down the reset button, idk if this would be visible or not(hence the purple screen)

3. Riveneye
    OP

Newcomer Riveneye Newbie

United States
    Yea I have my nand backed up but its not launching preloader. So thats kinda ruled out.

4. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Ahm, do you have bootmii on boot2?

5. Riveneye
    OP

Newcomer Riveneye Newbie

United States
    I think boot2 is within system right? If so not quite sure but I doubt it. Way back when I did a halfass job of softmodding it. Its only been recent that I've went back and done it right.

6. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the purple/green screen at boot stumps me.... MauiFrog is the resident expert on region changed wii's.... you could try to draw his opinion in by PM-ing him....

let's determine if you have bootmii/boot2: (if your wii is old enough (ie. has a vulnerable boot1) and you "went back and did it right"--even recently...then you should have bootmii/boot2...) when you turn the wii on, you're looking for two quick drive light flashes... (single flash = no bootmii; two quick flashes = bootmii@boot2) ...if you get them, then just get the bootmii files on an SD card (you can get them from modmii), put the SD in the wii and boot...should boot into bootmii.

if you don't have bootmii/boot2, you can try savemiifrii (this is just a shot in the dark i'm afraid. if it works, then someone else can be of better assistance than me to get back to good.)

if neither of those work, you can still save your wii with your NAND backup by enlisting the help of someone well versed in Infectus to reflash your NAND (PM DeadlyFoez).

so, in short, there are options...the more drastic of them may cost you a bit, but you should be able to get this thing fixed since you have a NAND backup.

i imagine you lost priiloader because you installed a PAL system menu as part of your region change attempt. the installation of a SM effectively removes priiloader.

if you get this thing fixed...for future reference, you don't need to region change your wii to play out-of-region games....this can all be handled by the modification no matter if your launching games from disc or USB....

7. Riveneye
    OP

Newcomer Riveneye Newbie

United States
    Well after checking apparently bootmii isn't installed. Which is odd cause I used that when installing darkcorp. I think I'm gonna check into Savemii. Sounds like a good idea since as you said I'm sure I messed it up with a menu change. Plus going through my laptop I didn't see my nand files right away. SO that might be my only other choice anyway.

Anyway thanks for all the help thus far

8. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Lucky for you, I've been working on a solution for this. I got it working less than 2 days ago. It's still a beta, so I'll send you the link through a PM.

9. hvckz

Newcomer hvckz Advanced Member

Philippines
    i know you can still access RM,
    the best way is if you have a whole bunch cios installed.
    you can still boot an exploit disc to gain access to an application.
    i remember, mauifrog have a MMM disc. download it and load on RM. there you can use ARC again.
    and restore your settings...

10. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the green/purple screen is caused by a mismatching setting.txt and system menu. it is the same thing that causes the opera brick, just that on certain cases, it shows up as a green or purple screen.

the recovery menu still works, and the region checking in 4.1 is lax. you can fix it by autobooting SSBB-Pal and using smash stack. or if you still have any save-game exploits installed, just autoboot that game.

11. JoostinOnline

United States
    Instructions and link for top secret beta project = sent.

12. hvckz

Newcomer hvckz Advanced Member

Philippines
    can you send it to me too?

13. Riveneye
    OP

Newcomer Riveneye Newbie

United States
    Thanks for sending me the program joostin. Looks good although I'm not getting sound so it doesn't seem like thats gonna work. I'm gonna see if I can snag a gc controller from my neighbor. I got a couple of autoboot discs from a link mauifrog had on wiihacks. I'll let you know how that goes. Its funny I've been stalking the forums for years for my ds hacks and recently wii stuff. But it takes messing it up to make me join. O well consider this my formal introduction into the forums.

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    No, I only shared it with Riveneye because of his current situation. I'm not giving it out to anybody else.

@Riveneye: Can you connect the Wii remote?