Purchasing New PSP Battery, Suggestions

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by grifterb, Feb 22, 2016.

1. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    I noticed that my PSP 3004 battery does not last as long as it used to. I do not know if there is anything that I can do to fix this problem, but I assume that as is the case with all batteries this one has reached the end of it's lifespan.

Apparently there are some 3rd party products out there as well as some rare 1st party ones. Now, there are some pictures of the alternatives that I have. I could not find any english reviews (or any reviews at all) for any of these. If you are familiar with any of these products please inform me, so that I can purchase the right one.

By the way, if I am not mistaken 1000 series and 2000/3000 series use different batteries, so these ones must be 2000/3000 batteries. If there is any mistake please let me know:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which one of these would you recommend?

2. Regene

Regene Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Don't get any of those. Sony discontinued PSP batteries years ago so those official ones you posted will probably be dead & bloated since it hasn't been charged for years. I bought an unopened official Sony battery in 2014 and was bloated and didn't work. Just my personal experience. The first battery you posted with the white big letters idk since I never bought one of those. I've heard people having issues with those. It's a trial and error thing. You might get one that works or you don't. And the capacity is 2400 mAH? That's fishy. To get that amount in a PSP battery, the battery has to be bigger like the PSP 1000 battery. So those slim batteries that claims to have 2400 or 3400 mAh capacity is something to stay away from.

The battery that I'm using for almost a year now is the Lenmar brand. I have the 1000 mAh battery for my PSP 2000 (will also work for the 3000) and it's great.

[​IMG]

In case you have issues with a Lenmar PSP battery from Amazon, you can exchange it within the first 30 days from Amazon or you can use the one year warranty from Lenmar itself. It is a bit pricey compared to those cheap generic $5 batteries you see around Amazon & ebay. I have this Lenmar battery and a Lenmar Ipod 5th generation battery so I never had any issues with the Lenmar brand. Now in Amazon.com the slim Lenmar battery did get a 3 1/2 out of 5 rating out of 60+ reviews so a few had issues but can be easily fixed as I mentioned before regarding the exchange or warranty.

The other option is getting a used Sony Official battery on ebay but they are expensive. Like around $30. The issue sometimes is that there are counterfeit Sony batteries so it's hard to tell who to trust. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Regene, Feb 22, 2016
  3. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, but now I am also thinking about another alternative, a Sony USB charger. The problem is, I am not sure if the USB charging speed of psp is enough to keep up with the depletion speed.

4. maczilla

maczilla GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Bermuda
    Last edited by maczilla, Apr 3, 2016
  5. ilovecookiez

ilovecookiez Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    Mexico
    Those batteries that advertise themselves as having over 1600mAh are full of crap, I once got one of those and my PSP turned off even though the battery was reporting to be at half capacity. Turns out they spoof the capacity so the PSP thinks it's got like 8 hours when it actually has less than two. That wouldn't be so bad if it didn't mess with the PSP's auto hibernating feature.

Anyway I've just fixed my PSP after letting it collect dust for half a year but now my battery's acting strange. I've been thinking of replacing the cells like some people do with laptop batteries, has anyone tried that with the PSP's battery?