Puppy Linux vs DSL (Damn Small Linux)

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by al5911, Jun 20, 2010.

Jun 20, 2010
  1. al5911
    OP

Member al5911 GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    I tried Puppy linux v4.31 I believe, a while ago.Really like it but don't know how to costumize it to be look like windows (the gui).I tried GOOGLE but when read throu 2-4 pages, I didn't found what I'm looking for.Any one who can guide me or at least give a link/s to a good site for a beginner/NOOBS???

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am not so well versed in DSL (although it is very similar) but puppy is my liveCD of choice unless I need something extra/special (passwords, hardware tests, server/cluster and the like).

Anyhow this is not so much a puppy linux question but a general linux question- to get to your GUI takes a few steps including the x window manager and what you see (as well as stuff on top of that or instead of "basic" features on occasion- stuff like compiz).
    This is getting off topic though- the stock puppy linux distro uses JWM as do many built on it. "themes" is the word of choice here
    http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManagers/JWM-themes/ has a basic example for you to poke through but I sense http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23260 is probably what you want to look at.

Similar arrangements exist for icewm and the other various secondary window managers.

3. al5911
    OP

Member al5911 GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    Thanks sir for the links.Yep,I use my puppy linux just as a liveCD for now.I'm really interesting in linux but have very limited knowledge about linux.I'm for sure will learn more from the links/site s that you provide to me.Thanks again.