PunEmu

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by giantpune, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010

PunEmu by giantpune at 6:54 PM (39,378 Views / 1 Likes) 132 replies

1. giantpune
    OP

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLz2Jy70Yk8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLz2Jy70Yk8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Warning: Spoilers inside!

this download contains all source, nfo, and a skeleton image containing only the legal files. all the cheat files are named to match my roms, if you want to be able to use the kickass cheat stuff, you must make sure your roms and the cheats have the same names. see the screenshot above for where to put gamegenie roms and whatnot.
    <a href="http://www.multiupload.com/2X98QGXTJ8" target="_blank">http://www.multiupload.com/2X98QGXTJ8</a>

i would also like to take this opportunity to plug qtwitgui, the tool i wrote to help in the development of this disc. <a href="http://code.google.com/p/qtwitgui/" target="_blank">http://code.google.com/p/qtwitgui/</a>

CHANGES....
    You can replace files in the archive with these.
    Updated snes.dol. xfcrowman has taken some of tantrics improvements from newer versions of snes9x-gx and applied those changes to the snes emulator in punemu.
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?wr7ddrkydfv4u61" target="_blank">dol</a> <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?orv8qw3j8ejwjkv" target="_blank">source</a>

The opening.bnr in the above archive is not the one i meant to be included. It is one that has "AssMan" as the name, and will show in the playlog as that. <a href="http://www.multiupload.com/3D0EZHEC1M" target="_blank">Here</a> is a link to one that will show PunEmu in the playlogs

please dont make posts like this asshat below me. if you dont see the point of this, then just shut up and dont use it. there are lots of people that DO see the point. ( like the fact that this gives every emulator the ability to play games from NTFS/ext2/3/4/WBFS for starters )

Margen67 likes this.

2. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Umm, maybe I'm missing something... but what's the point of this? Why would anyone choose to load emus off a disc rather than through the homebrew channel?

3. panmusic

Member panmusic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    Excellent job Giantpune!Thank you very much!
    I have 3 questions

1)Is it possible to save in the games you play?If yes,where the save files will be located?

2)Is it possible to manually add more roms ?

3)Do you cosider to add SMSPlus GX and hugo?

4. giantpune
    OP

United States
    1) read the nfo
    2) you have to. im not including any romzzz
    3) i considered SMSPlus. but most of the games for that emu are really just duplicates of ones available for GensPlus. it would have been a lot of works for little return

5. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    great work, i like it. shame wiisx or smsplus aint in there but i like what i see

6. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I might be wrong but from the first look it to run from the usb loader. Nice work pune [​IMG]

7. sr_corsario

Member sr_corsario GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Amazing!!!

Thats one of the best contributions since lonnnnng time!!

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    great work giantpune! I've been holding my breath waiting for this to be released for awhile now! It's always a challenge to keep the projects your working on a secret because they're always so awesome! I can't wait to see your next release! [​IMG]

9. musicman61554

Member musicman61554 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is RIDICULOUS. Way to rock it Giantpune. Also great music from Mr. Malmsteen.

10. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    So this is basically an emu loader, interface and channel are nice, yeah, but most of the video is spent in emulators as if you coded them yourself (and i don't see any credits to the original authors, only link to sourcecode, i think they should be the first to be thanked for that, no ?)

Also, despite the changes you said you made to the sources, I don't see any differences with official ones beside the nicer genplus cheat menu (which is btw implemented in the last version, with even a way to edit codes) and you seem to use outdated revisions...

All in one, this is good work putting all these emus together in a nice loader and I can see the use for that but I think calling this PuneEmu is a bit presomptuous ;-)

11. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Will you release updated versions once the emulators get updated?

12. giantpune
    OP

United States

you obviously didnt bother to read the nfo in the spoiler, the part of the first post that says "all the source code is in the download", or the credits window shown in the video. the only reason the emulators are outdated is because this has been sitting on my PC for a while waiting for GFX. when i started messing with each emulator, i grabbed the latest svn version. you are more than welcome to apply my changes to the latest version of each one. but they were good enough for everybody 2 months ago.

13. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Yes I appreciate your work, but lets say, a new version of Wii64 with better compatiblity (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark etc) get released. Are you going to update your punemu yourself or does the user itself has to update it?

14. giantpune
    OP

United States
    im definitely not updating it every time any of the emulators gets updated. ill probably do it for personal use, and depending on if there is something i see that i actually want. but for now, just assume that this is final release.

15. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Oh, i agree this is great work you did and you can be proud of it !

I was just talking about the video, which make it seems the biggest part of this project are the emulators themselves when the only real addition to them is the possibility to read ROM & cheat files from a Wii partition.

Also there is the fact all these emulators remain useless without a way to save sram, state, config, key mapping, etc... so you always will need a sd or usb device, which kind of defeats the original goal. Saving to NAND would be cool.

16. giantpune
    OP

United States
    would be cool, yes. but in general people are stupid. and i really didnt want to account for every little thing they could do wrong. the last thing i want is to hear peple saying that something i did bricked their wii even if they misused it somehow. and if i avoid writing to the nand, then i have very little chance of doing that.

about the video, of coarse it shows the emulators. the menu is only 3 screens and 7 buttons. i wanted to show the fact that each emulator can read all the stuff from the dvd. that was the main focus of the project. and i really didnt know how to show that without showing each emulator.

17. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    SMSPlus [​IMG]
    Read the above message: And to that, you bricked someones wii on the 30th reply to this thread, gratz! [​IMG]

18. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Well...I must admit I didn't get it at first. Why use a disc when you can use the homebrew itself as well?

Then again, gbatemp draws a lot of people who just will not use an USB drive. This'll be perfect for them. [​IMG]

But even then...if it creates an iso, I take it the created ISO can be used to load by backup loaders as well?

(just storing "one DVD" among the wii games in your USB loader may just be a more elegant solution than having to work with ISO forwarders to each homebrew folder)

In any case: thanks a lot for all the effort, giantpune. It's much appreciated. [​IMG]

19. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Can it play space invaders? [​IMG]

20. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Nice work. It is a cool project and i'm sure many people will find use for this. The only problem i can see is if an emulator gets updated with an awesome new feature, people will have to re-burn on a new disc. (assuming their is an updated version)

I think you should also find a safe way to save the files to NAND.

I will just stick with using homebrew and a usb device for now.