Hacking PSV Homebrew VS 3DS Homebrew

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I for one like many like playing games with actual buttons and not virtual ones on a screen so playing with emulator's on a tablet is a no no for me.

This

For me playing a game on a tablet with a PS3 controller or Wii U controller takes away the portability.

And this.
I find the Vita Dpad up there with the best on portables, eual to the 3Ds XL or the First NDS. Also I look to play fighters and rpgs on the go, so Vita has its fair share plus CPS1,2,NeoGeo and so on emulation.

I still will keep my 3Ds but mostly for RPG´s and stuff.

Reactions: MartinDocNewland

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the vita is locked to 444mhz, psp is 333mhz big lol. I wouldnt buy the vita for an emulation station.

I hope people here understand that 333mhz of Vita is way way way way way way way better than 333mhz of PSP.

Also 333mhz for low api is actually way more than 1.8Ghz of jumbled mess of Android/iOS system.

Case in point Killzone on Vita.

Also both CPU and GPU are 4 core modules and current emulators rarely use more than 1 cpu core and 1 gpu core.

To get power out of vita you need to first code for 4 core cpus and 4 core gpus but yeah it would be coold to overclock cpu or gpu a bit.,

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I doubt that most 3DS users care about homebrew, so I don't think raw sales numbers are that useful. Homebrew is never driven by demand.
That doesn't mean that the 3DS scene has less power users. The sales gap between the two consoles is so huge that the 3DS still wins in the number of people who care about homebrew over Vita. Additionally, I know that not everybody in the 3DS scene uses homebrew but the same could be said for the Vita too. All in all, I could say that homebrew wise, the Vita beats 3DS only in raw power, not userbase.

Last edited by SnakeOil992,

MRsonic699

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I doubt that most 3DS users care about homebrew, so I don't think raw sales numbers are that useful. Homebrew is never driven by demand.
I like your point. 'Cause now you look at the Vita users and we're like "we need moooooore", and that's one of the homebrew driving forces. I somehow feel like Vita users love their systems more than 3DS users, dunno.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you want a handheld that has mature homebrew right now, then go with a New 3DS because the homebrew scene is already a few years old therefore there's already a huge amount of homebrew. The scene is in a very mature state. The memory cards are also cheaper because you can use standard MicroSD cards.

If you want to buy into the potential for great homebrew in the future, then get the Vita. The scene is essentially only two weeks old (not counting Rejuvenate) so there's not a huge amount of homebrew right now and most of it not in a very mature state. But the hardware specs being what they are, it has the potential to surpass the New 3DS as a homebrew device in the future. The memory cards are expensive, however - my 64GB card was obscenely expensive, and it probably the largest capacity card they will make,

Reactions: MKKhanzo

maczilla

Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda

If you're expecting gpu bound emulators on the ps vita I think you're dreaming. Killzone case in point? Yea because GPUS! case in point.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
The comparison between PSV and 3DS scenes' is pointless at this time. Our 3DS scene is far more established than it's Sony counterpart.

I own a Vita and have been a member of the hacking scene since the first vHBL exploits, i really like the console but i can't see it's homebrew scene exploding like the PSPs and 3DS's did.

Reactions: SnakeOil992

Sabishinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's not much life left in the Vita, even with homebrew bubbling up just a teensy bit. There's a few retroarch emulators, most of which work better and natively on the 3DS, and then there's DeSMume, which in my opinion is coming along quite well. I'd say go with the 3DS for homebrew, though. Vita is pretty dead, until piracy hits that is.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I for one like many like playing games with actual buttons and not virtual ones on a screen so playing with emulator's on a tablet is a no no for me. Well I can see the potential of a dreamcast, maybe 3do or Saturn emulation on a Vita and that excites me. Owning a Nvidia Shield Portable myself I know what works and what doesn't on it and emulation like 3do or Saturn doesn't work as well as I would have wanted it to

True, just making a point that there are other viable options when you have to consider price. The Nvidia Shield tablet was more of an example and is significantly stronger than the portable, so the comparison between each other is slightly different. As you've mentioned in a later post, the external controller is a deterrent in getting a tablet, so I'll further elaborate on this point in a different direction with different devices outside of your Shield portable (even though the portable is stronger than the vita already...).

The memory cards on top of the already expensive outdated hardware is pretty poor on Sony's part, but there aren't many devices out there that could run as many indie games and console adaptations as the vita unless you've looked at the GPD Win and if the goal is basic games and emulation then the GPD XD is also fine. I have a feeling that the Android and Windows versions of emulators are more capable (with as much time as both operating systems have been out and will continue to be upgraded, the devs have more incentive with these systems than either the 3ds and vita) than both the 3ds and vita could be and with either a GPD XD (cheaper android device with buttons and has expandable storage via sd card) or GPD Win (more expensive Windows device with expandable storage) you're looking at systems where emulation and support are more viable (theoretically the dreamcast emulator should work better on your portable than the vita with the current support for the platform indefinitely).

I don't have to talk about native games on android in general...not really many games out there that I could care about outside of what can be emulated, and compared to the vita, most of the games are really lackluster in terms of length and plot, but it seems like you aren't interested in vita games anyways since you weren't interested in its library (you sold the device twice before??). But still...another plus for the vita in this regard. However for the GPD Win, there's Steam and plenty of other game options as well as the device being a lot stronger than the vita and has support for expandable SD storage. Sure, the GPD Win might be slightly more expensive, but when you stack a vita with the cost of memory cards and the couple of pricey games you might be buying for it (even during sales times, pc deals kind of steal the show) your investment is pretty solid with the GPD. Edit: Also...in this regard, all games are "cross-play" from your PC to your handheld in the way PS4 is to the Vita sometimes lol.

I'd also like to make a note on your virtual and physical button preference. As far as the button quality goes, yeah, no debates here... the Vita beats out the 2 devices I mentioned, but what about L2 and R2 support? Both devices as well as the New 3DS supports these type of buttons as well, while the Vita requires virtual buttons...unless you're willing to sacrifice a stick or the start and select buttons.

Edit: I'd like to point out that I do have the Vita, New 3DS, Shield Tablet, and PC to support these claims and personally use my vita often for portable versions of PS exclusives like the Ratchet and Clank series, Persona 4, and Gravity Rush...just wanted to voice an opinion since price and content availability is the topic aforementioned.

TL: DR Your Shield Portable is better than a Vita and a New 3DS for emulation, you should get a GPD win if you want more games than what is offered by all 3 platforms and for the best emulation. If you don't like the vita library, why buy another one? There are less buttons on the vita than the others. Damn, them vita memory cards are expensive.

Edit: thought I should add a TL: DR section since I wrote a long rant...

Last edited by atlboyz_247,
Reactions: satan89

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Those writing off the Vita scene already have short memories. The Vita scene has actually taken off much quicker than any homebrew scene I can think of.

I remember the beginning of the 3DS scene. The only emulators to note were blargSnes and a quick-and-dirty port of GameYob, both of which lacked sound and had poor compatibility. This remained the case for a few months and people doubted that the 3DS scene would ever really take off in a big way like the PSP scene did. Over time, the emulators matured (including the aforementioned), we got more and more homebrew, a wider variety of hacks and exploits emerged making it easier for people to get into the scene. It matured and grew until now, an A9LH-enabled N3DS is probably the best homebrew-capable handheld you can buy. Compared with the slow maturation process of the 3DS scene, the Vita under HENkaku has flown out of the gate.

Scenes also have their spikes and lulls, periods of massive activity and relative inactivity. With the 3DS, the scene spiked when MSET was released, when Ninjhax was released, when Gateway released their downgrader,when the 9.2 kernel exploit was released, early .cia installers, CFW, the 9.9 exploit, A9LH, and even most recently the 11.0 Freakyforms exploit brought in loads of new users. The scene had it's dry periods, but picked up again when these new innovations brought in new users and new developers. The Vita will likely go through this same process.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: satan89

Bishibazu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That doesn't mean that the 3DS scene has less power users. The sales gap between the two consoles is so huge that the 3DS still wins in the number of people who care about homebrew over Vita. Additionally, I know that not everybody in the 3DS scene uses homebrew but the same could be said for the Vita too. All in all, I could say that homebrew wise, the Vita beats 3DS only in raw power, not userbase.

That's the sad truth..
It makes me laugh when people go for the cheapest console because "money" but end up pirating it anyway.
I know the answer already: "but devs are going for the 3ds! why should I buy a dead console?!?"
That's the result of years of bandwagoning for the 3ds.
Beware here, I'm not saying that the PSVita is superior in every way. Of course the 3ds had sale priorities because of franchises like Super Mario, Zelda and Pokémon but the way people reacted to the whole scene is what I don't accept. The "vita is dead" thing started circulating online like a meme and people slowly started to agree with that just because everyone was doing it. We also have to count that 2011 was the year Android/iOS microtransaction "games" were spreading like tumors across the world.

My last hope is that the whole HENkaku thing will keep making the Vita scene arise from the grave, with psvita games piracy being the icing on the cake.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's the sad truth..
It makes me laugh when people go for the cheapest console because "money" but end up pirating it anyway.
I know the answer already: "but devs are going for the 3ds! why should I buy a dead console?!?"
That's the result of years of bandwagoning for the 3ds.
Beware here, I'm not saying that the PSVita is superior in every way. Of course the 3ds had sale priorities because of franchises like Super Mario, Zelda and Pokémon but the way people reacted to the whole scene is what I don't accept. The "vita is dead" thing started circulating online like a meme and people slowly started to agree with that just because everyone was doing it. We also have to count that 2011 was the year Android/iOS microtransaction "games" were spreading like tumors across the world.

My last hope is that the whole HENkaku thing will keep making the Vita scene arise from the grave, with psvita games piracy being the icing on the cake.
The Vita is not dead(bad pun). It's a great console and its users are quite passionate about it, but in my opinion its homebrew scene will just not grow to be as the giant that the 3DS scene has become. Great things WILL come however. I am not a Nintendo fanboy, but the sad truth is that herd mentality has stopped people from buying a Vita on their tracks. To be honest, I did buy the 3DS over the Vita but that's because 3DS games are just more appealing to me. The price tags of both the N3DS and the Vita are the same here in Greece, so it was just a matter of better game library for me.

D

Deleted User

3ds is by far more popular, so it will allways (probably) have more hb content and hb devs. The vita is more powerful, so it depends on what u call good hb- most (90%+) of ppl buy console for (hacked) games, not for hb. So I think the 3ds will be still more popular among hb devs, meaenning more content, meanning "better" homebrew.
About retroarch- itll work faster on vita if possible. But 3ds has VC and injection (99% comatibiliy) so...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Vita is not dead(bad pun). It's a great console and its users are quite passionate about it, but in my opinion its homebrew scene will just not grow to be as the giant that the 3DS scene has become. Great things WILL come however. I am not a Nintendo fanboy, but the sad truth is that herd mentality has stopped people from buying a Vita on their tracks. To be honest, I did buy the 3DS over the Vita but that's because 3DS games are just more appealing to me. The price tags of both the N3DS and the Vita are the same here in Greece, so it was just a matter of better game library for me.
Hmmm... vita IS dead. Look at the sales... the 3ds has HUGE library of games, it won this gen in hendheld by more then 2 times the ammount of sales of psvita and has been in hacking scene pretty much from day 1 (vs vita, 5 years later...). It actually has better specs and controlls, and Im really sad it didnt sell good, but its the truth and we cant just lie about vita being alive... I will buy one in a few years from now, but now I have 900+ games to play on my 3ds so...

Also mosta ppl buy o3ds which is by far more cheap then vita, and has only 2 games (+snes vc) which it doesnt support so its more apealing to lotta ppl...

Bishibazu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
3ds is by far more popular, so it will allways (probably) have more hb content and hb devs. The vita is more powerful, so it depends on what u call good hb- most (90%+) of ppl buy console for (hacked) games, not for hb. So I think the 3ds will be still more popular among hb devs, meaenning more content, meanning "better" homebrew.
About retroarch- itll work faster on vita if possible. But 3ds has VC and injection (99% comatibiliy) so...

Well, there are hardware limitations that prevents devs to go further.
Whatever speculations or not, time will answer our questions and I think that as @sj33 said, the vita scene bursted out so we may even overcome the 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc...