OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
icon17.gif.png
PSPgo 6.20 kernel exploit found
but still no HEN release in sight
A2997503.jpg

A Kernel exploit for the PSPgo v6.20 firmware has been found, however he hackers wish to keep it private at this time. Please read the spoiler below for more information.

Some recent developments in the PSP homebrew scene has the community revving up again. Apparently a few coders now have access to a possible kernel exploit for newer PSP firmwares, two of which are coyotebean and Team Typhoon. Coyotebean revealed on the lan.st forums a few days ago that a confirmed kernel key for the 6.20 PSPgo does exist, and an exploit for the 5.70 PSP go exists as well.

While kernel exploits like this invariably raise the community's hopes for the release of a new custom firmware, coyotebean has stated that there will not be any type of an enabler. Pretty much the only thing we can hope for right now is that one of the other teams with an exploit release their own HEN or CFW. The thing is, that may not even come to pass. Wagic coder Wololo explains:

There is an implicit agreement among hackers that these exploits should not be disclosed, because kernel exploits have become extremely rare since firmware 6.00 (it is believed a major cleanup of Sony’s code happened at that time to protect the psp go), so it is quite likely that these kernel exploits are actually one single exploit (so revealing it would ruin the efforts of other teams that try to keep it secret). Also, depending on the hacker, kernel exploits are kept secret for personal and/or ethical reasons .

Contributed by fgghjjkll

icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Link2999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little old, but still it's news. Right now I'm just waiting for a full speed n64 emulator (DaedalusX64) to work 100% on the GO. GPSP Kai is just going to have to hold me over.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hackmii had an article about this kind of thing recently. Lots of groups don't release their exploits because they don't want piracy (which, while bad and all, also causes companies to tighten their security, as seen with the PS3) and there's no real way to stop pirated games while allowing homebrew as long as unethical coders have access to the exploit...

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
I really can't fathom why they're holding on to it. It's not as if Sony will be introducing new hardware any time soon, so there's nothing "later" to hold out for.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"fimeware"?
unsure.gif

OP needs fixing.

I'll probably still be fine with my 1000 for now, and for now the 3DS is getting more attention from me...
wink.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ViRGE said:
I really can't fathom why they're holding on to it. It's not as if Sony will be introducing new hardware any time soon, so there's nothing "later" to hold out for.

Because having an exploit can help finding and testing new exploits on newer firmwares. Kernel mode exploits are hard to find, so are generally kept until there is more than one known, and something particularly useful can be done. Some devs also don't release their kernel mode exploits because of piracy, notably Team Typhoon, whose ChickHEN was abused for piracy by the temporary CFWs, and so despite their efforts to prevent piracy (blocking a few calls commonly used by ISO loaders), piracy went ahead, and understandably IMO, they will not release their (already shown) HEN for newer firmwares.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end