PSP VS DS LITE!

Which handheld would you guys get?(or already have)

• PSP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DS

• Why not get both? I can afford it :)

• Total voters

bustyman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
da_head said:
bustyman100 said:
I did the NSMB intro video test and found that my m3 Real with slot-2 expansion cart kills my DS battery in 3.5 hours flat. Using the same test the Acekard 2 plus EZ Flash 3-in-1 combo gave me about 4 hours. (I kept the slot two cards in there because people say that they drain power even if not in use- can some one confirm this with tests?) The PSP gives me about 4 hours of game play if I don't use the UMD drive. Are all DS flashcarts this bad with the battery drain?
wth? 3.5 hours?? i think there's something wrong with ur ds' battery. btw. whats the nsmb intro video test?

EDIT: and what brightness do u keep it on usually?

Umm, the "NSMB intro video" thing is a test that I have seen several flash cart reviewers use. It is just leaving New Super Mario Brothers running and looping the little video where Princess Peach gets abducted and Mario and Luigi run around like idiots. I leave the brightness and sound on full.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my DS batteries, because I have 2 official nintendo stock batteries. One is a week old and I always discharge it completely before I recharge it to avoid the fabled "battery memory syndrome". And I remember playing Etrain Odyssey on my old R4 with a 1 GB SD for 5-6 hours at a time. So I have good reason to believe that either the M3, the slot 2 thingy, or the 4GB SDHC card, or any combination thereof is the culprit. Too bad I gave my r4 and 1GB SD card away and I can't test them side by side.

I would try to do more of these battery drain tests, but I always get distracted and have to abandon it halfway to get my gaming fix X_x. Btw, to kevenka, Band Brothers is a Jap only game. It was one of the launch titles, so it's pretty old now.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
i remember buyin the PSP 1st (the DSLite was announced to be released the same month over here... so i had to wait for the new model), enjoyed it like a mad man, and like 3-4 months later, had the chance to buy the DSLite, so i did it.

nowadays, while the PSP still amazes me with his graphics and stuff (i LOVE the NeoGEo and CPS 1&2 emulation in it... leave alone PS1 emulation, thats another league), i find myself playin more the DS, since the games that comes out in it, are the ones i really like (starting with 2D sprite art... i REALLY love that kinda stuff!!!), so while my vote went for "why not gettin both?... i can afford it", truth is, i preffer the NDS (but am currently playin Eiyuu Densetsu Sora no Kiseki SC on the PSP).

GizmoDuck

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS Lite and PSP, and love them both equally. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

DS:
+ Unique controls = unique games
+ Castlevania, Pokemon, Phoenix Wright series
+ Great for playing with friends (Mario Kart, FF:CC)

PSP:
+ Nice big screen
+ Custom firmware
+ Superior emulation capabilities (PSX!)
+ Better graphics = better atmosphere for games

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shadowboy said:
BIAS! Should be psp slim v.s. ds lite, cause psp is outdated.

That said, psp. GBA + PS1 emulation @ perfection = win.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion
smile.gif

but how was I being bias? I mean, the purpose was to decide which handheld was better, the sony handheld system or nintendos. And judging from this forum, I should be happy with just a DS lite rather than getting both ^^ Also, I feel like I did pick the better choice of the 2(I think the DS) b/c the PSP isn't coming out with much great games except the already metioned MGS and FF games.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm just going to add this because the most legitimate arguments have been made already and I thought I'd weighed in on this already but have'nt.

I am really not into PSP I have nothing against it, If I found one in the street tomorrow then it'd be cool and I'd keep it for a bit, then probably sell it to buy DS accessories or something if no one claimed it.

However, for me the PSP's best selling point would be its Multimedia capabilities but in this day and age, you could buy a more efficient PMP for cheaper than a PSP simply because you'd need to get a few more things to make the PSP worthwhile as a Media Player. The PSP does wonders in emulation, but then you could get a GP2x and have emulation AND media capabilities so I still dont see the need for the PSP.

I dont know how much of an improvement the Slim and Lite is over the PSP Original, or if you mean just simply PSP and not the remodeled version, but I got my DS because of its games, portability, the multiplayer seems fairly painless and I felt comfortable getting it. I plan to get more units through out the year for my little brothers because it'd be great for us to play together around the globe if we could and they can play together effortlessly.

Plus, from my very, very basic understanding of PSP modding, it seems like a bit of a hassle--not impossible, far from it,--but a hassle to get it "hacked" open. I like the idea that plugging in a MicroSD and a normal sized "Flashed" game card allows me to play with and make homebrew, or even ROMS.

So it really depends on whats going to work for you and meet your needs. Want Emulation but not so great of portability and some mulitplayer--PSP all the way. Wanna play with your friends in quick games or play globally--wanna play some new funny or wacky games or try your hand at rather painless programming--get a DS.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both. Original DS system since Christmas 05 I want to say, bought myself a PSP last January. Obviously played the most out of the DS due to its age, but the PSP has been played quite a bit and stuffing it with emulators has greatly expanded its playtime. That and I have a Slot-2 flashcart which is somewhat limited in use (I guess) so I generally keep my DS for just DS games, and the PSP does PSP, PSX, Genesis, Gameboy, Game Gear, and NES games (no SNES for now). I seriously am looking at getting a second PSP memory stick so I can put old PS1 games on there and keep my current stick for new games.

gizmo_gal: Actually, the PSP only really requires two things: A memory stick with the CFW on it, and then a battery to put the PSP into service mode to get the CFW on there in the first place. No need to really open the system apart from opening the battery cover and having that second battery. Before the slot-1 devices came into the forefront, people hacking their DSes had to use a PassKey or FlashMe on their system, the latter requiring you to open the battery cover and then to short out a circuit so the flashing software does its work. DS Lites made this complicated by adding a little metal tab that powers off the system if metal touches it--basically, the risk of bricking your system goes way up with a Lite if you're not careful. PSP has both local and worldwide wireless play, blah blah blah.

Again, I have both, so I happen to like both. ;P

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
You can compromise with the GP2x's emulation abilities if you want then, gizmo_gal. I'll be waiting playing PSX games full speed on my PSP.

The DS Lite is a huge improvement over the DS Phat vs the PSP Slim is barely an improvement argument makes no sense. It only got smaller because it's ancient technology! (it's a portable 1996 console minus the ability to make textures look tolerable) And the DSL didn't get twice the RAM of the DS Phat did it? How is the multiplayer painless? Either deal with playing random assholes while they cheat and disconnect, or get a long random string of numbers to play with a friend? Sounds like fun.

It is very easy to mod a PSP, buy a $10 special battery, run a program, press X. Bam. Done.

PSP also has (in most infrastructure games) a much more robust online system. Screw friend codes. It also has a lot of single UMD and multi-UMD multiplayer games. PSP has simple programming too--if it didn't why would there be so many crappy Lua games made for it.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Final question is...Why get 2 handheld console rather than get 1 handheld and one home? or do you guys already have the 1 home console and can afford 2 handhelds?

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
gizmo_gal: Actually, the PSP only really requires two things: A memory stick with the CFW on it, and then a battery to put the PSP into service mode to get the CFW on there in the first place. No need to really open the system apart from opening the battery cover and having that second battery. Before the slot-1 devices came into the forefront, people hacking their DSes had to use a PassKey or FlashMe on their system, the latter requiring you to open the battery cover and then to short out a circuit so the flashing software does its work. DS Lites made this complicated by adding a little metal tab that powers off the system if metal touches it--basically, the risk of bricking your system goes way up with a Lite if you're not careful. PSP has both local and worldwide wireless play, blah blah blah.

Again, I have both, so I happen to like both. ;P

Wow, you made that really very simple, thanks for that, Doomsday Forte
smile.gif

As for DS, I knew that, but I doubt that people are still looking for those devices and using those methods.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to step on anyones toes. I dont have anything against or for the PSP, I'm just a moderate gamer and I support my favorites but I dont really bas. If I could afford one, who knows I might pick one up, as I've never played PS1, but either way, for me, as a person, the DS works better than I THINK that a PSP would. I know that DS would work best for my brothers and plus they want DS's not PSP's and I explained to them the differences and showed them several games and they voted for DS's.

Plus, I dont really like Sony as a company, but thats neither here nor there.

ajbrinham

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've owned both systems and theres no doubt PSP prevails. In the end it plays movies witha decent size screen as well as playing games on a bigger screen.

Can't be beaten.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lul at the mainly one sided poll
but what did anyone suspect when you make it on an almost all Nintendo fourm?

any way I has both as sig says... >_>

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Both have their features; their ups and downs.

There's a ton of these topics...but oh well -

DS I like because of itss gaming library and the easiness of playing backups.
PSP I like because of its media-ness and the emulators it has.

They're both good, and can't really be compared.

Don't let this topic spiral into a flame war folks...I'll be watching.
ph34r.gif

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it should flame b/c people are just explaining why they chose one over the other, and as to why I made this topic was to see if it was a good idea to get a PSP even though I have a DS. So far, I am glad I haven't bought the PSP b/c many people are apparently happy with just a DS handheld console.(plus, I searched before posting this and none seemed to exist)

Keywords on search: PSP DS

Evilkoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love both DS and PSP. PSP has some great multiplayer games and a cannon MGS of course
smile.gif
. Great emulators too! DS I love for obvious reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1