Hacking psp slim unbrick

KB89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to be a noob, but I need some help. I bought a PSP SLIM 2001 - BLACK. A little while on ebay. It was marked as broken/as is. I bought it, because I thought it would be a fun project to try to fix (i've never had a psp). I got it and it didn't come with a battery or memory stick. So I bought a used, but good condition battery for the slim.

I bought a mini-sd card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mory_stick_pro_duo-_-9SIA1EK0JY5424-_-Product that one to be exact.

and I bought a wall charger http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Wall-C...pt=US_Video_Game_Chargers&hash=item1e7d299945 this one here.

So... I got the charger first and plugged it up to the psp slim with no battery and tried to start it, nothing happened. I don't know if this is what is suppose to happen or not, because I've never had a PSP at all. I blamed it on not having a battery.

Battery comes in... I pop the battery in and turn it on. Green light comes on for a minute then turns off by itself. So I'm thinking it's bricked at this point. I plug the charger in along with the battery into the psp and I have an orange light that shows its charging. After awhile of charging (until the charging light goes off) I try to turn it on again and still nothing happens just a Green light then goes off.

So at this point I'm thinking it's bricked, because of the youtube videos I've been watching. So I order the memory stick. Memory stick comes in and I use PSPGRADER VERSION 8. I use the EBOOT.PBP for version 5.0 (cause I guess that's what I should do right?).

Then I cut my battery open... this is where I think something is wrong. I cut the battery open. I have cut a line by the "19" on the batteries board. I know where to cut to make this a pandora battery. And I've almost cut through the board and it's the psp is still not automatically powering on whenever I put in the battery after I cut the line multiple times.

I don't know what to do from here...

I have:
BATTERY (CUT DEEP ON THE LINE FOR PANDORA)
PSP-2001-BLACK
CHINA CHARGER

Also. the PSP has never been disassembled until now. I did that yesterday to figure out if a cable was loose inside, but I found nothing to be out of the ordinary.

I think that A: I DIDN'T CUT THE LINE TO MAKE IT INTO A PANDORA BATTERY ALL THE WAY (but god i'm almost through the board) or B: A PANDORA IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY PSP2001

Is there any advice you guys can give.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's far easier to mod a Phat battery, and they do work in Slims. You can also order pre-modded batteries if you don't have a steady hand. My old Pandora Phat Battery I hard modded back in the M33 days and it was an easy job.

KB89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it matter at all that I don't know the firmware that the Slim came with or what it previously had on it?

EDIT: If your answer is no, then what firmware would you recommend on a slim?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, my previous post did not convey that I believed your battery to be broken (if you accidentally touch the pin that you need to break to the one next to it, the battery will be no good), not to mention you typed you sliced through the board.

If your PSP is fully hackable, then it does not matter what firmware it's on since when you use the battery with the magic memory stick (you typed you're using Grader) you'll end up on 5.00 M33-4 (if memory serves). I recommend just going up to 6.60 and either choosing ME or Pro (or just install both if you really want).

Pro: It's a Lite CFW that also supports cIPL patching for a more full like experience. It has a better ISO driver (Inferno) for playing dumped UMDs from your memory stick. It has good compatibility with newer Homebrew, but has poor compatibility with older Homebrew. It also has the ability to play ad hoc games online, but requires specific settings and a plugin, even then tends to be a bit shaky depending on the game. Get the unofficial build here as it has bug fixes that the official version doesn't.

ME: It's a full CFW made by Neur0n. It's touted as being the rightful successor to DAX's M33, but that's just some enthusiasts getting far too into it. It doesn't have the ISO driver (Inferno) for better ISO compatibility, but it is compatible with Leda and can run just about any Homebrew (with the exception of IRShell and a couple of others) with the Leda plugin installed. It also is a bit more customizable and just has better Homebrew compatibility over all. It also has a Lite version for 3000s and Gos. Grab ME from here.

Overall, it's just personal taste. ME tends to be favored by those that like to heavily muck about with the PSP and have older homebrew they want to use. Pro tends to work well for anyone that just wants to run games and emulators. Try them both out if you want, there's no harm in it.

KB89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info.

also, i haven't cut through the board yet, just pretty deep on the line. Also, whenever I put my battery in the system doesn't automatically power on, BUT it does show green light whenever I flip the power switch after inserting the battery. :wacko: Which makes me think I haven't cut through the line yet. If I had a magnifying glass I should be able to see if I did or not.

Also I read about how a pandora needs almost full charge in order to work. Do you know if this is true?

Maybe since my battery was used, it charges, but not enough to or to full capacity to work as a pandora.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info.

also, i haven't cut through the board yet, just pretty deep on the line. Also, whenever I put my battery in the system doesn't automatically power on, BUT it does show green light whenever I flip the power switch after inserting the battery. :wacko: Which makes me think I haven't cut through the line yet. If I had a magnifying glass I should be able to see if I did or not.

Also I read about how a pandora needs almost full charge in order to work. Do you know if this is true?

Maybe since my battery was used, it charges, but not enough to or to full capacity to work as a pandora.
My old Pandora Battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, but if I put it in then plug in the PSP to a charger, it works fine. It doesn't need a full charge. It can cause problems if the firmware installer detects that the charge is low, but there are work-a-rounds for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey