Hacking Homebrew PSP ROM Question

rangingcavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a DS Lite with an R4DS. I was thinking about getting a PSP (Slim) as well. Is finding, downloading, and running ROMS on a PSP as easy as it is on a DS? Thanks for your help.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I would say they aren't as easy to get as DS roms because they are usually much larger in size. But they are out there on the net just like Wii and PS2 games and such.

rangingcavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I guess I was more concerned with the whole process, not just finding them on the web. There seems to be a lot of confusing steps involved: pandora's batteries, firmware changes, etc. Using the R4DS is so easy and I was just wondering if playing ROMS/ISOs on a PSP was a huge headache or just as easy as doing so on a DS.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Well I meant finding the ISOs is easy.

However getting the PSP ready to play the ISOs is not as easy as using an R4. You do need to get a pandora battery and the correct files to go on a MS in order to "homebrew-enable" the PSP, which for a Slim is just installing CFW.
After that initial setup is done, updating firmware and running games and homebrew is easy.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
to be honest... I think the PSP things is a pain in the ass to do at first...
you have to see what firmware you have, and if you'll be able to downgrade it first.
then upgrade it with some home made firmware... it involves many steps and CAN brick your system... but after that, it's just as easy as using an r4. you just drag and drop the isos to the memorystick and then you run them from the psp... easy peasy.

BUT, some games might require a firmware higher than the custom one you have, so you have to upgrade it with the newest or wait for it to come.. and then there's the process again, you might brick it... but being careful and searching alot on forums will make the bricking less probably
smile.gif

decept

Trophies
Website
www.decept.net
XP
Country
United States
to be honest... I think the PSP things is a pain in the ass to do at first...
you have to see what firmware you have, and if you'll be able to downgrade it first.
then upgrade it with some home made firmware... it involves many steps and CAN brick your system... but after that, it's just as easy as using an r4. you just drag and drop the isos to the memorystick and then you run them from the psp... easy peasy.

BUT, some games might require a firmware higher than the custom one you have, so you have to upgrade it with the newest or wait for it to come.. and then there's the process again, you might brick it... but being careful and searching alot on forums will make the bricking less probably
smile.gif

With the Pandora Universal Downgrader you don't need to check what firmware you have anymore, it will downgrade any and all PSP's including the new slim ones.

Of course getting a Pandora battery made requires you to have a homebrew enabled PSP already, however they are ways around that as well.

Bottom line, I don't think its as complicated as you're making it out to be. It may not be as retard-friendly as a R4, but a little reading is all that you need to do.

rangingcavalier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I got a new PSP Slim and I have no idea what to do. All the info I've read says you need to have a PSP fat to make the Slim able to play homebrew. The problem is, I don't have access to a fat PSP. So, now what do I do?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
You need to get a pandora battery (normally made with phat PSP), some people sell them on ebay. Datel makes one called a "tool battery" thats supposed to do the same thing.

Then you also need the files that go on the MS to make it work, which are illegal to distribute because they contain files made by Sony, from my understanding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Black unmarked vans with red writing, will come to your house again if you do. +1