Gaming PSP Mini's

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking about PSP Mini's today, and I was considering the small size of the games. Now, I'm well aware that most of them are poop. What I'm wondering is, is which ones do you guys feel are good? And do not say Angry Birds. >:(

I know there are some good ones, and have seen a few common ones already from what I've been watching. You guys seem to be pretty ok at picking good games though, so I figured I would ask.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming you are actually buying them (and therefore don't want to waste your money), there are a few good ones. A Space Shooter for Two Bucks is nice, though it might be too easy if you are used to other space shooters (you can take quite a few hits before dying, the only penalty for dying is going back to the last checkpoint, and there are 2-3 checkpoints per level including one checkpoint right before each boss). Age of Zombies is pretty good too. Karoshi is an interesting puzzle game (there is a Flash version, but this one has all new levels). Finally, Zenonia is a decent action-rpg.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
They're like the DSiware of the PSP basically.

Not true. There are the same as a regular PSP game downloaded off of PSN. You can use npdecrypter to convert them to an ISO and play them just like any other game. In fact, once the Cobra USB payload is reversed and implemented in PS3 CFW you will probably be able to (try to) run any PSP game on the PS3 (how well they will work is another matter, as the PSP emulator was designed to run Minis and not regular games).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Adventures of 2D rotating Octopus Character
Zenonia (people argue about this one)
Young Thor
Monsters Probably Stole My Princess
Freekscape
Soccer Bashi
Shift Extended

There are also a load of TD games there which people like.....can't say as i loathe Tower Defence. Minis are generally rubbish though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
Nathan Drake said:
They're like the DSiware of the PSP basically.

Not true. There are the same as a regular PSP game downloaded off of PSN. You can use npdecrypter to convert them to an ISO and play them just like any other game. In fact, once the Cobra USB payload is reversed and implemented in PS3 CFW you will probably be able to (try to) run any PSP game on the PS3 (how well they will work is another matter, as the PSP emulator was designed to run Minis and not regular games).I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking in a technical sense like that...

QUOTE(mrgone @ Jun 28 2011, 03:57 AM)
pinball fantasies & pinball dreams
ported from the amiga
Yeah I like these, played the SNES versions, and with the PSP ones you can press select to rotate the screen and hold the PSP like a pinball table, kinda'... but these games may seem dated.

We need some Epic Pinball on the PSP... that was a great one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's been some decent reviews for Whose That Flying!? and A Space Shooter For Two Bucks. I haven't tried them myself so I can't attest to them.

I can suggest Fieldrunners though. Very easy pick-up-and-play tower defense game with a lot of strategy to it. It's available almost everywhere. Also there's like Peggle (I'm pretty sure that's a Mini) and Tetris which are obviously worth playing.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rydian said:
mrgone said:
pinball fantasies & pinball dreams
ported from the amiga
Yeah I like these, played the SNES versions, and with the PSP ones you can press select to rotate the screen and hold the PSP like a pinball table, kinda'... but these games may seem dated.

We need some Epic Pinball on the PSP... that was a great one.

the SNES versions are graphical crap compared to the amiga and psp versions

Hannah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The decision to open up the PSP to smaller snack-sized downloadable games is hard to fault. After all, it's often from these low-risk, high-concept projects that the brightest ideas emerge. Heading off competition from the iPhone is also clearly a factor, which is why the initial 13-strong line-up feels less than convincing - despite some absolutely fantastic titles.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There is definitely some following suit with the likes of iDevices here (especially seeing Angry Birds), though a few of the Minis I have are nothing but bigger versions of flash games I had played awhile back. Despite that, I find the likes of Shift on the PSP to be fun, same with Mr.Karoshi: Suicide Salesman. Bloons appears to be a step backwards from the flash counterpart with controls that work far better with a mouse rather than an analog nub.

A couple original titles I've played have been fun (well, what I assume to be original anyways). Young Thor feels like a better made version of the DS Thor game, while Twin Blades is just some zombie killing fun. I haven't tried out Age of Zombies yet, but I did try the Pinball ones. For one odd reason or another, the ball in both Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Dreams likes to fall straight down the center of the board fairly often.

In the long run, they all give the 20 to 30 minutes of enjoyment at a time that you would come to expect from an iDevice title.

Oh yeah, and Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess is a fine, enjoyable game.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
to name a few :

fly fu : funny beat em all with flies excellent design
cannon fodder paper wars : great strategy/defense game really creative
space shooter for 2 bucks, flying hamster, sky force : great shmups
farm frenzy : good sim management

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum