PSP face buttons clicking loudly?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by 3DSXLGamer, Feb 9, 2014.

1. 3DSXLGamer
    OP

3DSXLGamer GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2013
    Canada
    Animal Forest
    I have a "refurbished" PSP 3000 from EBGames I got from a while back and the systems works fine except that the X button makes a loud clicking sound when pressed and released, the O button also does it but to a lesser extent.

It's a pretty nit picking flaw but it makes it hard for late night gaming with these loud button presses. :(

Would ordering a face plate and just switching out the buttons would fix this or is it something under the buttons?

2. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    If it bothers you, it'd be worth getting a replacement button set. On the D-pad, there is a separate rubber layer that goes between the directional keys and the sensor pad that actually registers the input. For the action button set, the buttons themselves are integrated to the rubber.

On the outside chance, it might be the sensor pad for the action buttons that is the culprit, depending on how old the PSP in question is. But I'm more inclined to believe that replacing the button set will be the more likely 'fix,' even though I personally feel that clicky buttons are far better than mushy ones.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I agree with codezero.
    Clicky buttons are better then mushy ones.
    You dun accidentally press one then.

4. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Actually for me, one gripe with mushy buttons is pressing them and having the system not register your input.

5. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    I love PSP buttons and I dislike clicky style buttons like on the DSi and 3DSXL. (DSL had mushy buttons and I remember liking those a lot) But maybe the click ones are not so bad after you wear them in. When you first get them though they feel very stiff and that makes it hard to play something like Harmoknight.

Dunno what I'd do in your place. Ideally I could check out your PSP myself to see how bad the clicking is.

It also depends whether you play the system in private or with other people in the room.
    What might bug me is the fact that only X button has it, O button to a lesser degree and square/triangle not at all. Lack of symmetry there! But then again X button is used way more than the others so it actually kinda makes sense oh snap.
    A heavily used PSP will have a mushier X button but a nice triangle button. Your system has potentially prevented that. Maybe gamestop does it on purpose, maybe the systems they get shipped to repair systems tend to have really used x buttons so this is their solution.

6. 3DSXLGamer
    OP

3DSXLGamer GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2013
    Canada
    Animal Forest
    I do prefer clicker buttons but this is just like unnecessary noise. I got supersonic hearing, my computers so damn loud and I bought a new hard drive but heard it very faintly clicking one in awhile, turns out it was on its way out and got a replacement! Upon further inspection square seems to be the lest clickest of them all, like with all the rest I can hear when it's being clicked in and released but with square I get a rubbery feeling with a little bit of a click, If I click on the left side I get a click matching the rest, more on the right and its real quiet.

Not sure how soon I can order faceplate, should I get another colour then silver? not sure what would go nice with it. :unsure:

7. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    On a side-note, are PSP triggers supposed to click loudly? My left trigger isn't bad, but the right one has clacked rather noisily since I bought it.