Gaming PSP Disc overwrite?

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, about a month ago, I bought Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, and really enjoyed it, however I've only a 1GB Memory stick, so memory's pretty tight. I know to have decent load times, you have to install data, and I did, but then I got Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, deleted the Birth by Sleep Install data, and Installed Peace Walker. Well, fast forward to yesterday, I deleted my PSOne Classics: Metal Gear Solid (The biggest contributor to my memory crisis), and went to do a full install of Birth by Sleep, but when it hit 32%, the memory access LED stopped flashing, and everything animated as it should, but the install refused to progress any further, and said it couldn't access the Memory Stick. I tried it with 400 MB, and it did the same thing at 50%. The 200MB Installation worked fine, but when I loaded my save game, I went to the cutscene of Snow White crying in the forest (as Ventus), and it just kept loading and loading. I took out the disc and there is a ring on the disc. Is there any way I can, say, put the disc in my computer (after, of course, taking it out of the case), and burn the game files back onto the disc?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As far as I'm aware, PSP discs (as with all game discs) are write once. Once they get damaged, which is very common, you have to either buy a new disc, or try one of the disc repair methods (one of which is to rub a banana skin over it to fill in the scratched ridge). There is no permanent fix.

Also, I recommend soft modding your PSP and buying a bigger MMC (they're fairly cheap these days) to play your games as ISOs.

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuuuuuuu- I am not shelling out ANOTHER $20 for that damn game. I'd very much prefer to stick with OFW,and, uh... Those Memory Sticks are NOT cheap.
P.S. I call BS on the banana thing

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Fuuuuuuu- I am not shelling out ANOTHER $20 for that damn game. I'd very much prefer to stick with OFW,and, uh... Those Memory Sticks are NOT cheap.
P.S. I call BS on the banana thing

MicroSD are cheap, buy the adapter.
And OFW have no pros nowdays, only cons.

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have an 8GB MicroSD, but, I'm uh... broke.:cry: I know, but I just prefer to keep it legit, you know? (Despite having OFW homebrews on my Memory Stick)

Reactions: raulpica

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could pop open the UMD carefully and try the toothpaste fix on it. It's worth a shot since you don't have anything to lose.

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wrap my head around how that would work. I mean, the PSP is designed for only one storage device. While it could consider both MicroSDs as one, any saved data would be split between the two, and would cause issues unless those two were always used together.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
:blink: seriously :blink:
how could you think that psp games where writable, and even if they where, how would writing them back onto the same damaged disk help in any way, only options are
1) trying some sort of disk repair
2)buying another copy
3) getting a copy and playing it from the Memory card with a iso loader/CFW
4) borrowing another copy, getting past the bit that's freezing and save....then hope that nowhere else freezes

... No offense... but that's Fking stupid...
its a better idea than writing to a UMD disk lol

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, for future reference, no game you buy in a real store is rewritable, they are all read only. imagine people could just save whatever data on a game disk and destroy their games left and right.

and if the disk has a ring (i assume you mean it has like a big scratch that goes all around?) then the disk is dead one way or another. Toothpaste only works on the most miniscule scratches, if at all. and even then, most toothpastes cause more damage than they solve.

you'll have to get another copy or an iso to play from memorycard (its about 1,5gb in size)
do you have any kind of guarantee? maybe you could return it, because these games should be pretty much safe from scratch damage due to their umd nature. if it created a circular scratch all around, something with the umd casing has to be wrong. unless you somehow got sand into the umd case...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have my PSP-2001 soft-modded permanently with CILP flasher and it runs 660 PRO-C (whatever-the-latest-build-number-is).

There are ZERO downsides to soft-modding, only advantages gained. So by sticking with OFW, you are only limiting yourself mate. :/

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the memory access LED stopped flashing, and everything animated as it should, but the install refused to progress any further, and said it couldn't access the Memory Stick

How do you know its not your memory stick which does have a problem?

btw, if buying a adaptor or a card is not an option and the problems is the disc.

either try to find a ripped version of the game, to pass the broken part.

and you are pretty dumb if you want to stay with OFW... no offense. but there is really no reason not to softmod it.. only advantages, in the old days you could even stream games from a computer using usb if you didnt have a big memory stick (but its very faulty and not stable)

or just buy a second copy of the game from ebay\pawnshops or other places...

at this time and moment i found an auction with 2 bids on it (1.50€). if you really want the game

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
and you are pretty dumb if you want to stay with OFW... no offense.

If the OP has made it clear that he does not want to softmod his PSP, that is his choice. It's already been explained that there are no (significant) disadvantages to CFW. In the end, you are being "pretty dumb" to insist, and how you phrased your "non offensive" comment. Not that the OP has been much better, but that's a different matter.

Because UMD writers were not sold to the public, I don't think we can specifically confirm whether UMDs are writable. Still there's little reason to believe they would be.

To quote Wiki, "Specifications: ECMA-365: Data Interchange on 60 mm Read-Only ODC – Capacity: 1.8 GB (UMD)". This confirms that UMDs are write-once and read-only. Once it's been produced, a DVD writer laser will not be able to make any changes to the disc.

I can't wrap my head around how that would work. I mean, the PSP is designed for only one storage device. While it could consider both MicroSDs as one, any saved data would be split between the two, and would cause issues unless those two were always used together.

If you put a single mSD card in, it will work as normal. If you put two in, it will automatically configure them in RAID (not sure if RAID 0 or JBOD). To set it up, you will need to use the PSP itself to format the adaptor, which will then make it readable. Taking one mSD out or swapping the slots will make all the data unreadable (unless you put it back how it was originally).

Also, the banana and toothpaste methods are genuine, with varying degrees of success. Other methods exist (including some professional products that do the exact same thing), as many Xbox 360 owners will know about. Sometimes it works, sometimes the ring on the disc makes it a permanent coaster. By that point, as mentioned, you either find a replacement, or a workaround (since repairs won't work, softmodding/pirating is the last option).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you put two in, it will automatically configure them in RAID (not sure if RAID 0 or JBOD)
OT Time: JBOD is just what the name says: "Just a bunch of disks". It lets you access every disk as a separate drive even if you're running them on a RAID controller.

Most certainly the adapter is not doing RAID. RAID requires a controller (either software or hardware) and it's quite expensive in terms of CPU cycles when you're doing it via software. It's obviously not doing it in hardware either as that would require a controller and these adapters are sold for peanuts.

I've also tried accessing just one of the cards using a normal reader and... The data is there! Even if only "half" of the memory card. ...or so I remember.

What I suppose these adapters are doing is just a cheap trick. The IC inside just concatenates the two microSDs virtually in the partition table (that's why it doesn't care about the sizes you put in) and then fools the devices transmitting an header that says that you're using a X+Y MB memory card. The IC then deviates the writes and reads as needed to access data in the upper/lower halves of the memory card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao