OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi

I've been trying to read up on custom themes that may cause bricking.
But I don't really know how to tell if a theme can brick my PSP or not.

I have like 8 custom themes on my PSP Phat, all of which ONLY change the wallpaper, icons, and theme color (to one of the default colors). Nothing else is changed, no sounds, boots, anything.

So how will I know if a theme is "dangerous"?

Thanks.
moogle.gif

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't exactly tell if a theme can brick your PSP or not. You could always use the Custom Theme Flasher (I forgot what it was called, it was a homebrew) and install it using that. If it's messed up, then the installer won't install the theme onto your PSP.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
You can't tell if it will brick or not. That's why 85% of the people (yeah, I just made that percentage up, but most of the people) use .ctf themes. Ctf themes are guaranteed to never brick your PSP.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, so .CTF themes are safe then. Thanks for the replies.
smile.gif

What file format are the flash themes, just out of curiousity and since I'm here anyways?

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
If they're flash0 themes, then they don't have a format. They will be a bunch of files, and you have to browse through your PSP's flash0 folder and replace the files there with the theme files. It's a lot more complicated IMO. CTF themes are simple to use, you can change them on-the-go, and they are more widely used.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
If they're flash0 themes, then they don't have a format. They will be a bunch of files, and you have to browse through your PSP's flash0 folder and replace the files there with the theme files. It's a lot more complicated IMO. CTF themes are simple to use, you can change them on-the-go, and they are more widely used.

Ohhh right. Yeah the f0 folder is a whole bunch of files. I changed the click sound. xD
Sweet thanks for the help and info.
moogle.gif

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A thing about flashing files in f0:
Is bricking random?

So say I wanted to switch the XMB "click" files (when you move around the XMB, forgot what the name of the file is called), does it always have a chance of bricking? Or ONLY if something goes wrong? Or if you do it right, it'll be 100% okay?

Sorry if this is unclear, it's a weird question to ask. O.o

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe if your firmware doesnt support the file you will semi-brick
(Happened to me w/ custom opening plugin.rco)
I think you would have to seriously **** up all the flashes (0,1,2...) for it to not boot at least to the recovery menu.

You can simply restore the original files over the broken ones from the backup you made before...you made a backup right?

smileipb2.png

But for god's sake please use cxmb for modifying the XMB but if you just want to change sounds... well... I guess you're all set...

Gameboots are more fun though
biggrin.gif

(run's away)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i did was, enter the recovery menu and access the flash0. i copied all the files and folders to my pc. now i have a backup of the flash0 (WOOHOO).
bricking is not random, its all about the user. if you had a file that was meant for another firmware, you will have problems (if not a brick). if you have backed up your f0, then you will have less trouble when recovering from a brick. cuz, you can just delete your f0 (on the psp), then copy your f0 (from the pc) to your psp. whamo! you just recovered from your brick.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Really? It's that easy?
So if I do brick, I can just turn off my PSP, connect my PSP (or Memory Stick) to my PC, delete/replace the f0 folder and it won't be bricked anymore? O.o

That seems too easy.
ohmy.gif

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, just to be sure that when you copy the f0 from the psp. you have all files and folders shown. in windows explorer go to tools>folder options>view, you will see an option to enable "show hidden files and folders". click that circle, if have not already done that. its easy, i have my f0 backed up as a .rar. so, if im drunk and playing with the flash i wont fuck up my back up. LOL

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah the recovery menu is built in a portion that flash0 isnt. so even if flash0 is effed up the a you can boot to the recovery menu and use your backup you made.

Happy flashing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-