adriande2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so a few months ago I dropped my PSP for the first time ever. A few days later, I noticed that when I played a game, it would freeze. I thought it was the iso at first, so I tried a different one. Same results. It also happens in the menu, homebrew, and normal UMD. After a while I noticed I had about 5 mins(at best) until it froze. So, later, I took it to a game store nearby to try to get it fixed, they couldn't even find the problem. I took it apart and put it back together right after without finding a noticeable problem but found my max time until it froze was up to about 10 mins.

Here's all the information:
-Freezes no matter what I'm using on my PSP.
-It took a fall of about 3 feet.
-It works perfectly fine for about 10 mins max(times vary) until it freezes.
-Sometimes when I try to turn it on the power light will just go on then off(mostly right after it freezes).
-Original PSP 1000 series.
-Custom firmware(Prometheus 5.50) was installed but not touched at all near the time it stopped working
-I have tried reverting flash0 to an earlier state, reformatting flash1, removing the UMD, removing the memory stick, and removing the battery. None of these worked.

So is this fixable or not? Will I have to buy a new motherboard or just replace/tweak a little part?
Even just a little information would be appreciated.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Duskye said:
You sure that it's not your Memory Stick?

He tried it with and without the memory stick. Same result.

I would guess overheating myself. You might have cracked something on the motherboard too that is a lot harder to spot. It's hard to be sure since it isn't a software problem.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade.

Frankly, it seems you've tried most conceivable options. Yet the most glaring part of this is the extent you're going to salvage a PSP 1000 which has been obsolete for years. Brand new PSP 3000s are MSRP $130 at the very moment you're reading all of this. For all the time and effort you're spending, and the cost of replacing the motherboard, you would still have the same old screen, no warranty, and no idea what else might be damaged or on its way out in the near future.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
dib said:
Yet the most glaring part of this is the extent you're going to salvage a PSP 1000 which has been obsolete for years. Brand new PSP 3000s are MSRP $130 at the very moment you're reading all of this.

Why is it obsolete? I'd beg to differ of course...sure the d-pad is a tad annoying at times but that's really the only issue, and in no way renders it obsolete. Running from the MS the RAM differences are all but irrelevant the majority of the time and the screen pics we had previously illustrate how little it really matters.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like a dry joint on the m-board - a crack in a solder joint that expands as the PSP warms up and causes the crash. Try turning on the PSP and putting it in the freezer compartment in a ziploc bag - see how long it runs before crashing. If you want to save the console a used motherboard is your cheapest option - you say you've dissasemled it once anyway right - or get your local "we fix everything" shop to do it. Or buy a used unit, I see them for as little as $60 with no accessories.

Jamio88

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
Sounds like a dry joint on the m-board - a crack in a solder joint that expands as the PSP warms up and causes the crash. Try turning on the PSP and putting it in the freezer compartment in a ziploc bag - see how long it runs before crashing. If you want to save the console a used motherboard is your cheapest option - you say you've dissasemled it once anyway right - or get your local "we fix everything" shop to do it. Or buy a used unit, I see them for as little as $60 with no accessories.

I concur. This sounds like an issue with your motherboard. Short of replacing the whole thing (would look on eBay for a cheap one), your only other option would be to replace the PSP itself.

On a side note though, If you can not salvage it and would be interested in selling/donating for CFW sake let me know. I am working on a few custom things and need a guine pig (I have already programmed things for Wii, DS, PSP3k1, and HTC WM, but this will be a first for a whole CFW).

Best of luck to you on an easy fix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"