PSP-4000 announced; IT PLAYS PS2 GAMES?!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2008
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"Sony let out details about a new console they are planning on releasing this year before christmas.

In an unanticipated move, Sony have announced details on their next portable gaming console in its PlayStation® Portable range, dubbed PSP-4000.

In a statement at a recent press conference, SCEE president David Reeves announced the decision for the hardware update.

What's unusual about this move is that it follows the release of Sony's new console, the PSP-3000, which hit the shelves less than a month ago. Speculators believe that this sooner than expected update was made by Sony in an attempt to give it a competitive advantage over Nintendo's new DSi.

Details on this new model were sketchy however. Reeves announced that the new model is expected to be available before Christmas this year, but the price had yet to be finalized. The new model builds on the PSP-2000's "slim and lite" design, and the PSP-3000's improved screen and built-in microphone, and adds an improved processing unit.

Sony announced details on making PlayStation® 2 games available for download via its PlayStation® Store, which could then be transferred to and played on the PSP-4000.

Critics of the PSP™ say that the system's main weakness is it's lack of quality games, and some believe that Sony is relying on the strength and popularity of its aging console to improve the sales of its current generation systems, the PlayStation® Portable and PlayStation® 3. "

Console Spot

I'll add on to this as I find more articles about the PSP 4k. Discuss!

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    HOLY SHIT

EDIT: this is real right? [​IMG]

3. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    shit....awesome...
    playstation 2 games on psp ? can the graphics coop with the psp hardware?

i knew this was coming but i thought for ps3.

4. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I assume this is a joke? PSP-3000 released like a week ago?
    Would be cool to play PS2 games on the PSP though...

5. da_head

Canada
    i'm pondering how the psp can handle the graphics, and the controls? (needs an extra analog stick, and l2, r2?)

6. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    And where are the 4.7 GB games going to be stored? I call bull.

7. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    What.

They just killed the LCD screen on the 3k model, but now PS2 games? And they plan to do this in the clear of ~2 months? They'd best be trolling.

8. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    probably it will have an internal hard drive and a much powerful graphics.

and an internal camera like the dsi

9. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well, I would imagine it's real. If you think about it, it makes sense that a new PSP4000 is coming out... so they have to add something to it. If they just fix the screen, they're basically admitting to their mistake. However... it sounds very fishy. Why does it say that the games will be available for PSP-4000? How come it doesn't say that PS2 games will be available for ALL PSP's?

That would mean that the PSP-4000 got some major improvements, including graphical improvements... which basically makes the PSP-4000 and "PSP2", since it could open up a whole new range of games for it. (With better graphics and better processing)

Also, how would the PSP-4000 take care of the missing R2 and L2 buttons? (This is kind of a moot point, since I'm sure they'll just do what they did with PSX emulation...)

10. SonicRax

Member SonicRax Egg-Mayo: The Movie

United Kingdom
    Lies. This CAN'T be true. x_x

Then again, I suppose it could, what with the shitload of Negative Reps the PSP "Brite-but-not-that-brite-cuz-it-was-a-stupid-idea-making-Sony-DIM," Sony probably think they have to redeem their little handheld in one way or another. Ah well. xD

If they did do the same thing they do with PS1/PSX emulation, games like Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be able to play properly. Because the D-Pad is required for scrolling through the Battle Interface, and the Analog Stick is required for movement in that game, it'd be impossible to map both key inputs on one Analog, because it wouldn't function correctly. Not to mention, this new PSP would need two analog sticks, which Sony should've done by now, but haven't bothered to yet. If they did put that in however, I could see it working. Somewhat.

11. da_head

Canada
    "The new model builds on the PSP-2000's "slim and lite" design"

LOLWUT?

12. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Yeah, as for the PS2 game downloads, there could be a number of solutions...

Internal harddrive
    Huge price drop in memory sticks
    Compressed PS2 games...?

Honestly, even if they don't look perfect, PS2 emulation would be such a dream come true. I was forced to sell my PS2 by my mom, and the PS2 was my favorite console ever. I had it for 4 years or so, and it was really fun... so a portable PS2 would be amazing.

13. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I call shenanigans! No source other than a random post some dude made on a message board.

14. SaltyDog

Member SaltyDog GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With Sony Europe and Amazon not taking any more orders for the PSP-3000 this does make sense. Obviously you would have L2 and R2 plus dual analog on a new PSP. Even the DSi is dumping its slot 2 so that means no rumble pack support, plus knowing that big-N is adding a front facing camera, I would bet a Wario Ware game would make use of that making older DS's obsolete. Sony really needs to come up with something grand and PS2 emulation would do it. And, not all games are 4GB plus compression like they did for the PSX games coupled with an internal drive or large memory sticks is very viable.

15. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    lul wut? PS2 games on a PSP? Has hell frozen over? If thats the case, then they should make it so we can play Wii on it [​IMG]

But yeah, that'd be awesome. I'd honestly buy one if that were true...even though I have a PS2. But its portable! [​IMG]

Edit:

If I remembered correctly, Sony pulled all the 3000 PSP off the shelves because of the problems it had. Maybe they are using the 4000 to bounce back. That's just what I think.

16. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    I would say that the PSP PS2 games would be less graphically superior than their original PS2 counterparts, converted games in a sense - not an "emulation" of direct PS2 titles. But who knows.

17. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    Consolespot is down aswell... I find this hard to believe considering no other site has the same article

18. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    1. Bull
    2. Bull
    3. Bull
    4. BULLSHIT.

19. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    You guys should take this news article very lightly... although it does actually make sense for the new PSP to be able to emulate the PS2, this is the ONLY NEWS SOURCE that had the announcement of the PSP-4k listed. I looked on QJ, Kotaku, Siliconera, etc etc and ConsoleSpot was the only site that had any details about this. For all we know, it could be fake.

tl;dr Wait until another reliable site lists the announcement of the PSP4k before you start speculating.

20. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Woah... PS2 emulation...

I've considered buying a PSP many times, but primarily because of the homebrew (read: emulation). Playing PSX-games would be great, but not great enough to buy another handheld for. PS2 emulation would be awesome! I have both a GameCube and an Xbox, but I've missed a lot of great PS2-games. It's time to play those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.