PSP 3k Not Charing From Mains.

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kouen Hasuki, Jan 10, 2013.

Jan 10, 2013
  1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    Just wanted some other opinions on this one.

I have a silver PSP 3k which otherwise works perfectly... However it cannot charge from the wall charger at all. Charging from USB is fine as long as the unit is on (and in USB Mode when I am not in my CFW)

I Have been able to narrow it down some that it is not the Jack itself as power passes through the cables to the motherboard fine so, I'm thinking its the Motherboard charging fuse.

One person mentioned it could be an idea to Solder a wire from one of the USB pins to the Mains in terminal on the motherboard so I can charge from USB Regardless if the system was on or not, However I had to remind them that it wouldn't matter since power from the Mains terminals on the board don't actually charge anything.

One thing that could fix it is bypassing the fuse itself on the motherboard but I'll admit im a bit wary of that given a fuse is there to protect the rest of the device.

An external Battery charger for if the battery got too low to get the unit on and into USB mode since it normally takes a few seconds from getting into USB mode for it to kick in is another idea but a in unit fix of some sort would be better to me.

However I'm looking for second opinions and maybe a link to an external charger too that people know are tried and work well, I have already blown money on 2 that wouldn't charge any 3rd party batteries (Since I wouldn't risk any of my official Sony Batteries with cheaper Chinese battery chargers without first testing it)

Thanks for your time

2. sliver123

Member sliver123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    is the charger defective ? have you tried using other wall sockets ? Perhaps the one your trying to use is dead.

3. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Norway
    Nope all 3 used was live and charge a PSP 1k and 2k perfect, I also tested with a multimeter the DC Jack of the 3k and the power makes it to the mobo

4. sliver123

Netherlands
    did ya try using an different battery ? when you tryd charging with wall was there a light green or orange or nothing ?

5. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Norway
    Yup 4 Different batteries all work in my 3k and 1k and the 3k can charge them all via usb, but as I have stated in my OP I know what the fault is.

What im looking for is ideas on the fix :P

6. sliver123

Netherlands
    i try looking fo a solution but for now i don t know if i can help :)

7. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States