GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I am really a total newb and new to PSP and planning to buy a PSP-3000 soon...

So my question is that are all version of PSP-3000 hackable yet?
Can someone tell me which one is hackable and which one is not?
And also, where do I purchase one? One that is guaranteed hackable?
(I am looking for a fully hacked PSP one that can boot iso, homebrews, and the likes)

Help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!

P.S. If this questions has been around for many times.. my apology.. a thread link related to this matter will be appreciated..

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, while the PSPs must be hacked in a special way (Pandora doesn't work, and don't you dare try to use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher!) via CFWE or 5.03 GEN-A, they load homebrew, ISOs, and plugins. However, you can only put the PSP in standby (slide the switch up quickly and release compared to a full shutdown which is sliding the switch up and holding it until the PSP turns off). There's no harm in this, as the battery is hardly affected. There's no impact on the battery over 24 hours of continuous standby.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So basically i can buy any PSP 3000 around? Do they all come with 5.03 firmware? In what circumstances would it be above 5.03 firmware? (i.e. because i bought it in a wrong store or because it is the newest? or something like that..)
What if i turned it off instead of stand by? What would happen?
biggrin.gif

And why can't I turn it off? Would i break it?
Are there possible fix for this in the future?

(I have a cousin who's in new york and he'll come visit us soon and he knows a lot about PSPs but he'll come quite late this year and I can't wait that much longer so;... I want him to do everything (the hacking stuff) in my upcoming PSP and teach me everything about it xD just so you know)

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
mmmm let's as long as you don't try to buy bundles i think you should be fine oh and ask your store about how long that stock have been in store, most of them are fine actually

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TheDestroyer said:
So basically i can buy any PSP 3000 around? Do they all come with 5.03 firmware? In what circumstances would it be above 5.03 firmware? (i.e. because i bought it in a wrong store or because it is the newest? or something like that..)
What if i turned it off instead of stand by? What would happen?
biggrin.gif

And why can't I turn it off? Would i break it?
Are there possible fix for this in the future?

(I have a cousin who's in new york and he'll come visit us soon and he knows a lot about PSPs but he'll come quite late this year and I can't wait that much longer so;... I want him to do everything (the hacking stuff) in my upcoming PSP and teach me everything about it xD just so you know)
Well, I don't think there's a way of telling what firmware is on the PSP until you buy it, unless you try before you buy at EB Games or something. I know I got the Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters bundle and it had firmware 4.something.
Well, shutting off the PSP clears the RAM, and most of the CFW files are stored in the RAM because they can't be in the flash0. If all the files were in the PSP's flash0, it would be bricked. Therefore, when you shut off your PSP and the RAM is cleared, it will turn on to normal firmware. Then you have to re-apply ChickHEN and then go back and reload your custom firmware, being careful to NOT re-flash it as it's not needed. All you need to do is reboot into it. There's nothing to it once you get the hang of it, and recovering from a crash (PSP freezes and shuts off) takes 5 minutes or less, provided ChickHEN decides to cooperate instead of PMS on you and refuse to load for about 50 times.
tongue.gif

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That really sucks then..
So what do you suggest I go with? PSP 2000 slim? ( I know that there are only minor differences between 3000 and 2000.. brightness and microphone i think... )
Are they all hackable and does not have the same problem as PSP 3000?

Thanks again..

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TheDestroyer said:
That really sucks then..
So what do you suggest I go with? PSP 2000 slim? ( I know that there are only minor differences between 3000 and 2000.. brightness and microphone i think... )
Are they all hackable and does not have the same problem as PSP 3000?

Thanks again..
Well, if putting a PSP in standby is something you don't want to do, then go for a PSP 2000. But even then, some of those are unhackable like the 3000 as well. Always double-check and make sure the PSP 2000 doesn't have a TA088v3 or higher motherboard. Use PSPIdent (run ChickHEN and use that) to determine which motherboard the PSP has.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Well, if putting a PSP in standby is something you don't want to do, then go for a PSP 2000.

Would there be a possible fix for this in the future? if yes, i might consider PSP 3000.. but if not, i would perhaps go with PSP 2000..
But again like you said.. standby or turning it off doesn't make much difference in terms of battery life and does not affect the whole system (being on stand by mode for eternity)..
then having a psp 3000 is the best option?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It may not be the BEST option... if you try to mess with it too much you can still brick it (like installing plugins or using some weird homebrew) but if you use it for just ISOs and emulators then you won't have any problems. Of course, you can brick a 1000 or hackable 2000, but at least there you can Pandora it and fix it. With this, you're screwed for now. There's something special with the motherboard the new 2000s and all 3000s use. It's called Pre-IPL or something. People haven't cracked that yet, but when they do, you better believe we'll be seeing some permanent CFW on the PSP 3000 scene.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You said people haven't cracked that, yet...So perhaps its better to wait then? I mean until they've figure out the permanent CFW for PSP 3000s? Are they working on it?

I dun use unverified homebrews.. so probably i'm far from breaking it.. and i only want emulators (particularly psx, i miss my old games so much
frown.gif
)and able to load iso's..

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Then take my word for it, get a PSP 3000 and use one of the two CFWs out there for it (CFWE or 5.03 GEN-A... according to the people CFWE is more stable, but I've had no problems with 5.03 GEN-A). If you use 5.03 GEN-A, I've got something that just might help you: Link. It's got everything you need to get custom firmware on your PSP, but give it a close read before you even start or you can brick your PSP. If you get a 3000, be sure to download the 3000 version. Downloading the 2000 version will end up in a brick, which has already been proven on the PSPSlimHacks forums.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks people! especially skyline969.. you helped a lot..
smile.gif

Now i am starting to know the basics.. i guess ill read more about advance stuffs.,.
And again.. thanks! cheers~
grog.gif

EDIT: btw, do you guys know any youtube video tutorial about installing CFWs on PSP 3000s? That would help..
EDIT 2: NVM I found it!
smile.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TheDestroyer said:
Okay thanks people! especially skyline969.. you helped a lot..
smile.gif

Now i am starting to know the basics.. i guess ill read more about advance stuffs.,.
And again.. thanks! cheers~
grog.gif

EDIT: btw, do you guys know any youtube video tutorial about installing CFWs on PSP 3000s? That would help..
EDIT 2: NVM I found it!
smile.gif
Just make sure you only use CFWE or 5.03 GEN-A. Any other custom firmware on a PSP 3000 WILL brick it.

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it irreversible? the breaking part?
I don't have my PSP yet.. but soon..
maybe months so i don't have to worry it at the meantime.. but thanks for reminding me..
Oh and after you've used the 5.03 GEN-A (perhaps ill use it) can you put psx emu on it and be able to play psx games?
And also be able to load iso? or do you need to do something else before you could load iso?..
if this is on the guide you gave me just ignore the questions..
smile.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, if you brick it, it's currently irreversible as there isn't a recovery battery that works in the PSP 3000. The Pandora battery, as you probably know, does not work in the PSP 3000 at all.

And yes, 5.03 GEN-A can load PSX games (provided you convert them properly) and ISOs. No worries, I'm on a roll here! You got questions? Keep firing 'em to me. Like your display pic, I'm answering these questions like Doug pwns noobs on CS: Source - BOOM HEADSHOT!
rofl2.gif

TheDestroyer

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
hehe yea right.. well,

"(provided you convert them properly)"

What is that mean? do you need to convert them first into some other format? So base on your statement i wont need a psx emulator for it is included (built-in?) on the custom firmware..?
Do they come on drag and drop basis (the game files)? I know the memory card that PSP is using.. memory stick pro duo..
i'm thinking of buying 16gb that would be good enough huh.. considering game files are like 1 gig or more each.. I could compressed iso's though and i know some guide..
I wish PSPs are as simple as NDS lol >.>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end