Hardware PSP 2001 refuses to play games

Silvermistshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this one about a week ago, it was free so I shouldn't complain as much, but it didn't come with a memory stick or anything. One of my friends who has a PSP 3000 with a memory stick and everything tried to put a game in it (with a UMD disk, not an ISO). It never even loaded the UMD icon apparently. The test was apparently a while before I got my hands on it, so some information may not be entirely accurate. Anyways, since the problem seems to be that it won't read UMDs worth anything, what shall I do? If I do have to bin it, I'd like to get one that is a model 2000 or older, with a version of 6.20 or earlier, might anyone be able to put their superior searching skills to use for that?

Silvermistshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it were me I'd hack it and sell it.

As for a new one, any specific reason it needs to be an earlier/2K model? Permanent CFW works on the 3000 and Go now.
It does? Holy crap, where have I been? Thanks for telling me. Will I still need to look for one with 6.20 firmware if I want it permanent?

As to the first point, I'll have to get a memory stick for that (new one will come with one, but oh well). Are hacked ones more valuable?

Silvermistshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I am guessing I will need a memory stick to use the USB connection, because windows says it doesn't recognise the psp whenever I plug it in. I'll probably go with 8gb, and figure out what to do if the new one comes with a memory stick too.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I am guessing I will need a memory stick to use the USB connection, because windows says it doesn't recognise the psp whenever I plug it in. I'll probably go with 8gb, and figure out what to do if the new one comes with a memory stick too.
they don't unless you buy bundles which don't happen that often

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Anything except for the latest 3000 models can be safely downgraded from 6.60 (current latest) to 6.20 to do a permanent hack. Pretty much if it's had 6.20 or less installed on it at any point in it's life, then it can be safely downgraded back to 6.20 to do a permanent hack. There's also a 6.60 permanent hack, but that one is reserved for the older/2K models, it doesn't work on anything like the 6.20 hack does.

And there's tons of people that aren't really tech-literate, but still want to pirate shit (and there's lots of people that simply don't know how and are lazy), so hacked systems can sell for more than vanilla depending on the buyer and model.

Silvermistshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything except for the latest 3000 models can be safely downgraded from 6.60 (current latest) to 6.20 to do a permanent hack. Pretty much if it's had 6.20 or less installed on it at any point in it's life, then it can be safely downgraded back to 6.20 to do a permanent hack. There's also a 6.60 permanent hack, but that one is reserved for the older/2K models, it doesn't work on anything like the 6.20 hack does.

And there's tons of people that aren't really tech-literate, but still want to pirate shit (and there's lots of people that simply don't know how and are lazy), so hacked systems can sell for more than vanilla depending on the buyer and model.
Yeah, I just hope UMD is the only thing it won't run, or it won't sell for even the normal asking price for a used one. And subtracting $25 for a 8GB memory stick leaves me with $75 if it manages to sell for a normal price, which leaves a bit of money still needed to afford a used 3000.

What place/site should I try to sell it at?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know where to sell a hacked one specifically to be honest (other than some place like craigslist), but picking up an earlier-model 3000 to hack should still be easy as there's tons of people that aren't aware of the 6.x hacks. Key words to look for are "5.03 gen-c" or any 3K model on a 5.x firmware, as that shows both that it's 6.20-compatible, and the owner is likely not aware of the 6.x hack and might let it go for less as they may think it's still inferior.

Silvermistshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't hack it using a USB apparently, even with a memory stick inserted windows (and the mac I tested) fails to recognise the PSP. I guess I'll try my home network later, but I'm only borrowing this card for now so I might have to wait until I get my own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.