PSP 1001 Help

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by klideklown, Jan 10, 2011.

Jan 10, 2011

PSP 1001 Help by klideklown at 2:15 AM (964 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. klideklown
    OP

Newcomer klideklown Member

United States
    I've recently came in possession of a Phat PSP And I'm wishing to mod it to play some Homebrew's.

Yeah.. I've read the Stickies and what not - And i've been trying to softmod my PSP Using the "How to Softmod your PSP" sticky. ((Located Here))

First. Some Background.

It came with 3.93, and I upgradded it to 5.03 without a problem.
    I've done all the instructions.. To what I think is perfectly, and it didn't work.

One problem I've run into with the instructions.- It says the folders name is PHOTO - I don't have a folder named PHOTO in my Stick, i have one called PICTURE. Is that suposed to be?

Second, when I tried to Hover over the Picture TIFF provided, the PSP Frooze a bit, and shut itself down... But it said it was suposed to restart? Is what I'm experiancing a Crash? SOmetimes it didn't even shut down - It actually had the picture shown on screen without doing anything. Is there a definite way to tell if I'm in ChickHEN Mode? I've repeated the process of formating and resetting it back to default settings as well with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks Ahead of time.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The PSP will either shut down or restart. If it shuts down it's a crash, if it restarts it went into HEN mode.

The firmware version will say HEN after it if you go into CHickHEN mode.

The PSP is far more likely to shut down than have the HEN actually work. Be prepared to try it 50 times. Everybody hacking a fat with this method needs to go through this, you're not alone.

3. xakota

Member xakota GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just keep trying, it'll work eventually.

4. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    When you get ChickHEN to work, use HellCat's recovery flasher to create a Pandora Battery. Then create a Magic Memory Stick, and install 5.00 M33, then upgrade to 5.50 GEN-D3, then if you want, Prom-4. If your PSP's battery stops working, use just the AC adaptor to power it on, then plug in the battery WHILE IT'S ON, then press SELECT, and then on the menu that appears, select 'Create Normal Battery'. The battery will no longer be Pandora, and you can use it freely again.

5. JamesCID

Newcomer JamesCID Member

Mexico
    First, the PHOTO folder does exist, it's not the same as the PICTURE folder in the root, the Photo folder is located inside the PSP folder (MS0:/PSP/PHOTO)

As for triggering the HEN, either keep trying or look for ChickHEN variants, there are a couple of versions out there and MHUSpeed which is basically the same but on some PSPs works better.

Also, keep in mind faster (Sony and Sandisk ORIGINALS, as in Magic gate compatible) and smaller (Below 4GB; 1GB or less being optimal) memory Sticks are often better to trigger ChickHEN.

Uh, there are unnecessary steps in there, or redundant steps if you wanna see it that way. There's no need for a pandora battery or a MMS nor to install 5.00 M33 if you are going to get Gen D3 or GEN Prometheus.

Either run chickHEN, install GEN D-3, then Prome 4 if wanted ( hell, IIRC there's not even need to get Gen D3 to install prometheus 4).

Or get a pandora battery + MMS and get 5.00 M33-6 working via hellCat's recovery flasher.

6. Rydian

United States
    The alternate HENs are usually for the slim which has a larger amount of memory.

7. klideklown
    OP

United States
    Let me Rephrase. after opening all the folders on the memory stick - There is no PHOTO Folder to be found.

First attempt since I woke up, the PSP Totally restarted. Which I assume means its in HEN mode... I shall keep you updated.

System Software 503 ChickHEN R2. Yep.. Seems to have worked.

[​IMG] I didn't know if what was occuring was a crash or what was suposed to happen was the main concern. So Thank you all for your assistance!

8. klideklown
    OP

United States
    On a side note - I don't know what those mean, or were to find them. I'm off to google in search of an answer now!

Ahah! Yes.. How to update my CWF,.... Right on that guide.. Right x.x ... Didn't need google. But the links on the Guide seem to be broken at the moment.. Looking for a mirror

I see Filetrip has a few of the files, But I'm not sure if I need a certain version of them or not - So if anyone could provide a Direct link to what I need from GEN or Prom-4.. That would be awesome!

9. klideklown
    OP

United States
    I finished up following that guide, and it says i'm on 5.00 m33-6. So I'll just follow the How to Upgrade when I find the need to, if I find the need to and what not. Thank you for clarifying the problem I was having. Hopefully.. I won't have anymore problems x.x

10. Rydian

United States
    You'll want to do the update in order to play recent PSP games. If your main focus is homebrew/emulators then don't bother for now.

11. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Or just hit about two button for ISO Tool decryption and patching, or get pre-patched releases instead....

Also make sure you go into the recovery menu and enable the MS speed up option. Set it to All the time.