PSP 1000 will not turn on?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by sjones900, Jul 4, 2011.

Jul 4, 2011

PSP 1000 will not turn on? by sjones900 at 3:16 AM (1,756 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. sjones900
    OP

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    I have a PSP 1000 that I've tried to repair with a magic memory stick putting in the pandora battery with the magic memory stick and the pandora battery and holding the "L" button as indicated by PSPGrader. The PSP comes on for about 2 or 3 seconds and shuts off regardless of anything I do. Suggestions?

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Would the pandora battery happen to be charged?

Edit: Someone has to ask the obvious questions. :3

3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    My guess is the MMS is not configured properly; i.e. the files for DDC are not set u properly.

Take some steps back. What did you do with it, from the very beginning?

4. sjones900
    OP

United States
    The battery is fully charged and I followed the guide for the magic memory stick to a tee. This PSP has a sort of an issue. Originally it froze allot because the owner let somebody less educated about CFW borrow and the messed with the clock speeds and changed them to a very low clock speed. Ever since then it froze all the time. Now it won't even boot. I'm trying this to no avail.. any other suggestions? Does the CPU need to be reflowed? (Applied heat)

5. Schlupi

United States
    Even if the Clockspeed was changed, it SHOULD NOT interfere with DDC and the Pandora.

Once again, elaborate. What version of DDC did you use? what firmware were you on? What were you trying to go to?

If you can't boot into anything, try taking the battery out. plug the charger in and try to hold L when starting it up. Tell me the results.

6. sjones900
    OP

United States
    DDC? I just used PSP Grader 8 with OFW 5.00. All I'm trying to do is install OFW and get it running. I've tried using with the charger but it does not boot.

7. Schlupi

United States
    AH. I am silly. I missed that part. >_>

question. Is your memory stick an official Sony memory stick?

8. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Yes a SanDisk 2GB.

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Sandisk memory sticks should be MMS compatible, so that certainly wouldn't be the issue, unless it was a fake that you got off of eBay or something.

10. sjones900
    OP

United States
    No it was bought from the store. Actually its a 4GB.

11. Schlupi

United States
    Yeah... a fake memory stick could have created an issue somewhere along the line.

You said a friend messed with the clockspeed in the VSH menu, possibly? It's very well possible the messed with the Flash 0 or 1 if they had access to a computer with it, too, and THAT caused your brick. >_>

I'm not getting enough info to give a proper diagnosis. All I can say is try to set up the MMS again through a USB reader for the MS, and try again. Set the boot button to a face button instead of a shoulder button (or set it to autoboot).

12. sjones900
    OP

United States
    I'm not really sure what else I can say. I re-did the MMS Maker on a Sony 1GB Memory Card with no boot button making it auto boot. But it has the same result turns on for about 2 seconds and shuts off.

-EDIT-
    Update, the psp at least doe not turn off immediately anymore. I opened it up and blew some compressed air in it and now it at least stays on with the pandora battery. With regular batteries it does the usual. THe Magic memory stick doesn't seem to work, and my memory card reader doesn't inject the IPL. I was using a friends PSP to make it but now they're gone :/

13. sjones900
    OP

United States
    It turned on once and I continued to to try and install OFW 5.00 but it froze midway through the install and powered off. It hasn't come on since.

14. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's bricked.

1) Remake your MMS (best to do this on a machine running XP)

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sWU1bzdlA

15. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Okay it turned on and I re-installed 5.00 OFW successfully, but it still freezes. I have no idea what's wrong with this thing :/

-EDIT-
    Made a new discovery. The psp will turn on for sure when something is plugged into the headphone port. but if bumped or jiggled too much it will causes it to freeze.. I think that piece of the board is the cause of the problem. I don't know what it's called but it manages the d-pad, memcard, and headphones. Is it worth salvaging?

16. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Silly idea but is your battery in autoboot mode?

I don't know why they make those....

17. sjones900
    OP

United States
    No I have a pandora and a regular stock battery.

18. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Check the power switch isn't stuck or anything.... as soon as it starts to load, put the power switch in lock position (way at the bottom there). If it still powers off and you can't use any pandora flash technique then its hardware....

Perhaps if you yank out the battery and turn on your psp with just the power cord in to see whether its a pattery thing or not...

Hardware can be such an arse sometimes... My PSP 2K can only get something like 30seconds through a song before it skips to the next one and claim its a corrupted file. Restart the thing and the file is fine again... Firmware doesn't make any difference.... Trusted 1K is always great.. Had it when it first came out and never had any problems....

19. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand

Are you sure? The dpad works by a ribbon cable and the mem stick compartment is on the daughterboard...

But.. When does it freeze? Would you be able to get to hellcats and install a new FW from there?