Gaming PSP 1.5 to Custom Firmware

DualEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1.5 PSP I bought off a friend of mine. Now I'm completely new to the custom firmware scene, so I'm going to sound like a complete moron for asking this. I also lack a spare battery and memory stick to run Pandora in the case of something happening. I've searched for a comprehensive guide on how to pull this off but found nothing. Is there any chance of someone guiding me through upgrading a fat PSP from vanilla 1.5 to the latest stable firmware?

Sorry in advance if this topic has been done to death. Thanks in advance.

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT:. You know what this is just so out of date dont bother reading it.

this is not up to date completely but you need to get to 3.52 before you can do any thing else so this guide is a very good start. The actual steps are in the 3.03 guid follow that but every time it says 3.03 use 3.52. I can guide you through if you dont know. http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=75846

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I recently did this and it's really simple.
First you gotta get your 1.5 to 3.40 OE-A. I used this guide - http://igizmore.blogspot.com/2007/06/340-o...stallation.html
Once you've got this I believe you can play homebrew and downloaded iso's and cso's using this firmware but I never tried so I don't know how good the compatibility with games and homebrew are.

If you want to get the latest firmware you can follow the next set of instructions.
Upgrade your OE-A firmware to 3.52M33. I used this guide - http://www.krizka.net/2007/08/24/upgrade-y...are-to-352-m33/

Once you got that you gotta upgrade once again to 3.80M33. I used this guide- http://www.krizka.net/2008/01/16/how-to-in...-2-on-your-psp/

Finally once you've got 3.80 they've put this really neat feature in there where you can now use the Network Upgrade to update your firmware to the latest available!

Simple! I'm using the latest one out atm 3.90 and I haven't have a problem yet.

DualEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance I can do this with the A/C charger plugged in or is the battery required to run during the process? Also how long should the process of flashing/upgrading take? I remember back in high school someone pulling this off during a class, but I just want to make sure.

Sorry for all the questions.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You need your battery to be at least 75% full to do this. I don't really know how long the whole process takes since I made a pandora's battery and the magic memory stick, then did all this in one go, plus I had to go around looking for tutorials etc. and that took me a couple of hours.

I think just upgrading cwf shouldn't take too long, maybe an hour? Probably less.

WiiSAT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DualEdge said:
Am I required to apply the M33-4 patch before moving on to the 3.80 update?
Yes. And after installing 3.52M33-4 you can update straight to 3.90M33-2 if you wish, no need for 3.80 first.

DualEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather not venture off on my own yet, but I'm seeing a rather official looking update screen for the 3.80 upgrade. Should I have no followed the tutorial and copied the GAME380\UPDATE folder instead of the GAME\UPDATE folder? This might just be paranoia from the bunch of black screens I've been seeing.

WiiSAT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DualEdge said:
I'd rather not venture off on my own yet, but I'm seeing a rather official looking update screen for the 3.80 upgrade. Should I have no followed the tutorial and copied the UPDATE380 folder instead of the UPDATE folder? This might just be paranoia from the bunch of black screens I've been seeing.
The M33 updates to 3.80 and 3.90 are in fact done with Sony's updater. If you selected the update program from the memory card it should have gone to a black screen saying it verified the .PBP files, and asking you if you want to continue. After that the M33 update is indeed done with Sony's updater, and it's fine to continue then.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quick question: Can the Network Update option that was modified in 3.80 custom firmwares and up move right up to a new main version (from 3.80 to 3.90) or just to patches for that version (3.80 to 3.80-X)?

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
psp slims require a homebrew capable psp or at least a pandoras battery. The battery can be hard moded by cutting a pin *dangerous* or you can make one from a homebrew enabled psp or you can buy a tool battery off the net. Once you have the battery get the magic memory stick installer and install that to a memory card. Alls set put it all together and thats you done. For a much more detailed guide ill send you here. http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=94439

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2