Hacking PSA: Unique Cartridge ID Sharing

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They haven't banned for buying a used game, my response was to do with concern of buying a used game, only to find it's id banned (assuming bans on game id rather than console). I don't think that would stop Nintendo doing it if they could.

Banning the ID of a used cart would only effect the market the same way banned xboxs did. Buy used and it's possible it can't go online. In this case, buying a used game there is a chance it couldn't go online, in xbox case, buying a used console had the chance it was banned and couldn't go online.

If Microsoft was fine to ban consoles, even if it meant someone could buy a used console to find it's banned, I don't know why Nintendo would suddenly be concerned that someone would buy a used game just to find it's banned.
Oh no, I absolutely agree with you now, I think I just may have misunderstood you. Not providing support for secondhand carts that were purchased banned is fine in my book, as well as secondhand consoles. That's part of the risk of buying secondhand. However, I was saying that banning consoles purchased firsthand for using a flagged secondhand game would be wrong, in my opinion. :)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The unique ID is similar to CD-Keys for PC games. If you start sharing your CD Key with random strangers, sooner or later someone will start cheating with it. (even though cheating isn't quite possible yet on the 3DS, but that might change in the future). If that person gets caught, that key gets banned, which means you get banned to because you have the same key. So just use caution when deciding to share it. If at a later date, you find that you got banned...you only have yourself to blame.

That's it in a nutshell. Treat it like a game CD-Key or something akin to that. ;)

Reactions: BvanBart

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
The unique ID is similar to CD-Keys for PC games. If you start sharing your CD Key with random strangers, sooner or later someone will start cheating with it. (even though cheating isn't quite possible yet on the 3DS, but that might change in the future). If that person gets caught, that key gets banned, which means you get banned to because you have the same key. So just use caution when deciding to share it. If at a later date, you find that you got banned...you only have yourself to blame.

That's it in a nutshell. Treat it like a game CD-Key or something akin to that. ;)
How come cd keys work for "pirated" games then?

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't someone just change the id to anything? Are they generated using some algorithm? It would be nice to have more info on the subject.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Because they know the algorithm used to check the key. It's also why 99% of pirated games aren't gonna work online outside of a hacked server.

Couldn't someone just change the id to anything? Are they generated using some algorithm? It would be nice to have more info on the subject.

I don't think we really know how they're generated at this point.

This discussion is great but this is only "IF" Nintendo starts banning which hasnt started yet

Better to be cautious than to be the first one banned.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long until some GameStop employee takes the IDs from the "new" games there(the ones they open) thus leaving people who even buy what's supposed to be new screwed over.

Reactions: BvanBart

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long until some GameStop employee takes the IDs from the "new" games there(the ones they open) thus leaving people who even buy what's supposed to be new screwed over.

Hell, they're probably gonna read your post and start doing it now. If I worked at gamestop I'd dump every cart I got my hands on, but im kind of an amoral person.

Reactions: Woodbin

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bigger issue I see here, is people are only presuming that using duplicate cart ID's is the only way of being banned. They could do something as simple as checking for emuNAND and ban the entire console for it if they see it running on a game online (or heck, maybe even an offline game for all we know). No one knows what checks Nintendo has up their sleeves, if any, and what sort of banning, if any will happen. For all we know, running a gateway cart might be as clear as day for them to see on their end and people MAY already be sitting on a list waiting for console bans -- that's purely speculative at this point, though.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

I'm talking about "Modern" pc games that use online functionality. Games that have a singleplayer component may still function offline even if it's CD key is banned. Hence why if game carts get banned (assuming Nintendo doesn't decide to also ban consoles), then that game simply can't use online services anymore. I didn't say it would prevent game piracy or brake the entire game.

lamentofking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no pr disaster plz

Oh, and by the way, why are people still talking about UNIQUE ID BANS? It's been discussed to hell, yet people keep asking the same questions over and over.

Because some people are just finding out that Gateway now supports online play for game dumps. Heck I'm one of those people. I for one would have found out about all of this sooner if it hadn't been for the fact that I'm at a University atm. Also another reason for all of these questions is because there isn't a definite answer yet. Your average user is used to finding a definite answer for whatever it is they are looking for on the Internet.

In accordance to the PSA, once I found out that you have to have a unique id I just left the GW update alone. Until there is more research on this whole unique id thing, I'll be playing only my real cart games online.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A little clarification on my end:

We don't know what might happen in the future, the existence of this part of the ROM was just announced. We don't really know how the ID's are used by the servers and what are the ramifications of their misuse in the long run.

The purpose of this PSA is to make users aware of the issue - we assume that the ID's are unique for a reason. Again, you are free to use yours as you please, we merely underline that this is a brand-new field that we know little about.

So far there haven't been any bans at all resulting from the misuse of ID's, but there may be some in the future. The same applies to using flash carts online in general.

Again, your unique ID's are only as unique as you let them be. We care about our user's safety when using their mods and flash kits, so we inform you guys about important issues we consider to be risks. We're not trying to be doom and gloom prophets, we just want you guys safe.

The general rule is that what's put on the Internet stays on the Internet. If you share your cartridge ID's, you do it at your own volition, it's a gamble you take. ;)

Reactions: WhiteMaze

groit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bigger issue I see here, is people are only presuming that using duplicate cart ID's is the only way of being banned. They could do something as simple as checking for emuNAND and ban the entire console for it if they see it running on a game online (or heck, maybe even an offline game for all we know). No one knows what checks Nintendo has up their sleeves, if any, and what sort of banning, if any will happen. For all we know, running a gateway cart might be as clear as day for them to see on their end and people MAY already be sitting on a list waiting for console bans -- that's purely speculative at this point, though.
You are also on a list. The NSA is watching o.0

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are also on a list. The NSA is watching o.0
So it's okay for Santa to have a list of who's been naughty and nice because he gives you a present once a year, but when the government that looks after you 365 days a year makes one they're the devil? Double standards, man - not cool! :angry:

Reactions: CathyRina

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
I want to see ninty start banning - if they can only ban by the game ID and people work out the numbering system ninty is going to have a pr disaster on its hand when littly jimmy cant play pokemon online no more

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can