PSA: Switch may kill your SD card!

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Robfozz, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    I bought a 128gb microSD for my Switch on launch day. I realized the other day that it's hardly being used and I could just use internal storage for now so I took it out and put it in my PC. This is the only time Ive taken it out of the Switch since I bought the card. I start transferring some files and its impossibly slow. It took 15 minutes to transfer an MP3 and when it was done it was corrupted on the other end. So I think "Ok maybe the Switch did something weird for its format or something, I'll just reformat it." Try to format it through windows. "Windows cannot complete the format". I try several times with different formatting options, no dice. I try several formatting programs, errors all day. I try diskpart through a command line, failed. After all of this formatting nonsense I just say "I guess its stuck being only good for my Switch so I guess I'll just put it back in." Now the Switch wont read it correctly and says it's been damaged. There goes a 128gb microSD, completely rendered useless from I'm assuming the Switch.

Maybe it wasn't the Switch, maybe it was some weird freak accident, who knows really Ive never had something like this happen before and Im used to dealing with some formatting bullshit from my Homebrew and modding days.

Just figured I'd share this with you guys, if you put your Switch SD card into your PC and it's acting strange, just put it back into your system because its probably been wrecked.

Let me know if you guys have experienced anything like this before.

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Was this a cheap or a high end one?

When it comes to mSD failures they can vary, I've had some cards fail in months while others lasted years, all with different degrees of usage.

Zyteus and elBenyo like this.
  3. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Looks more like your windows killed the partition system.
    Try format it with GParted on a Linux system.
    After that recreate a partition, also with GParted.
    Should save your sd card.

The low speed problem is a cheap sd card problem.

4. Anfroid

Anfroid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2011
    United States
    Maybe the title should be changed as it's only happened to you. You make it sound like it's widespread.

5. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    More info about the sd card would be great like brand, speed, model or something. Where you bought it, etc. This is the first I've heard. You could've bought a cheap micro sd or even fake one.

edit: you can just return it or replace your defective sd card if you've just recently bought it.

Zyteus, TheVinAnator, elBenyo and 3 others like this.
  6. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    It happened to me when I bought a cheap SD card of 128GB....NEVER buy em' cheap. They often fail.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    PSA: SD cards with factory defects also exist

VMM, pandavova, chartube12 and 14 others like this.
  8. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    This sounds like an isolated case. What class card was this? Low end or cheap cards at notorious for these kinds of failures (not because of the switch but just in general.) Never go with the cheap low end card.

9. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    If the card was cheap, it's probably junk, could be fake. If it's a good card, they should replace it for you under warranty. Also, have you tried a low-level format program or just regular ones?

Xabring likes this.
  10. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    seems like a problem with your pc and not the switch.
    I had this happen when i was doing stuff with my raspberry pi. Windows couldnt read the formats correctly and mesed up alot of stuff.
    Ended up having to get other programs (on top of the paritation programs i already had) to fix the problem.

So i say try another program. Also make sure the card is good and the adapter you use is good.
    I had a few bad adapter cause write problems also.

Tomy Sakazaki likes this.
  11. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Where did you buy the sd card? Never buy them online, that's my advice, so so so many of them claim to have large amounts of storage and seemingly will read that they have a lot of storage as well, but when you actually find out its limit it will be a small fraction of that storage, and when you reach it's limit they'll often get corrupted.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    this^^

13. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    use h2testw

14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I sincerely doubt it was the switch. You more than likely bought a defective card.

Tomy Sakazaki likes this.
  15. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Never had any problems with my Sandisk cards. However, cheap shit? For sure.

Xabring likes this.
  16. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    PSA: flash storage lasts longer if it's not inserted into a device

17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    A lot of things last longer if you don't use it.

18. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    The moment I read the title I was betting it would be the SD card being cheap or counterfeit. You never mentioned the make or where you got it, and haven't replied to this thread.

Xabring likes this.
  19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I once had a problem with a 64GB Sandisk card, a long time ago when they were expensive as fuck.
    They don't seem to be wash machine friendly... should have used dry cleaning instead /s
    Afterwards each time I connected it to something it went up to like 80°C or something (would burn your fingers) and ofc didn't work.
    I have done that before with Samsung EVOs and they still worked (yes, I'm an idiot regarding forgetting things in my pockets)

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  20. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Life span may vary, but i hate sd cards in general, can't trust them. Memory stick pro duo while less popular never had one fail in 10 years, still work to this day. Vita memory cards may be expensive as unnecessary as it is, but never had it corrupt on me so yeah. STEP YOUR GAME UP SD CARDS. :mellow:

On the other hand, micro sd cards are just TOO small, trying yo remove them from devices is a pain with short nails,:ninja: