Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo given this news is it still worth getting a Sky3DS to use with Ironhax so I can play the rom of Dragonball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2? I've wanted to play it since it came out last year.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Soo given this news is it still worth getting a Sky3DS to use with Ironhax so I can play the rom of Dragonball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2? I've wanted to play it since it came out last year.
Ironhax doesn't have anything to do with Sky. If you are talking about region-free you can use a Cubic Ninja rom on your Sky3DS to run Ninjax 2.0.
If you only want to play one game, better to just buy it (and use Ironhax to use region-free - hopefully that gets released soon).
If you want to play lots of games, get a Sky, but be aware you might have to purchase real copies of soon-to-be released titles.

Reactions: Monodon

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
This situation doesn't seem that bad. I practically own every 3DS game (except for two) with my Sky3DS. All for like €70 - €80

Sky3DS has given what they could. We should be grateful. I sound like I think Sky3DS is God or something, I know.

At least Sky3DS didn't brick anyone's console for any reason, unlike the "glorious" Gateway.

Oh and who knows, maybe Sky3DS will fix this.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This situation doesn't seem that bad. I practically own every 3DS game (except for two) with my Sky3DS. All for like €70 - €80

Sky3DS has given what they could. We should be grateful. I sound like I think Sky3DS is God or something, I know.

At least Sky3DS didn't brick anyone's console for any reason, unlike the "glorious" Gateway.

Oh and who knows, maybe Sky3DS will fix this.

Sorry if you didn't read further into why they implement the brick code. Also I'm only sticking it to the people who claimed that sky3ds was invincible, they know who they are. They probably created another account and is hiding out.

Read the details and know what you are getting. And nothing is ever invincible when the gaming system is capable of being updated.

tarnowsky

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If these AP checks have anything to do with the card then why do they only work on two new games? They must be software related meaning it's the ROM that needs to be "updated". Please read the OP of this thread. The cards are not banned or anything.

If you said that to me in person, I would murder you.
What "features" from the "3DS community" does Sky3DS use?
All the card does is emulate a game card. Now, please explain to me what these "features" are.
And your last statement pisses me off more than anything. Let me explain this as clearly as possible.

GATEWAY - RUNS - ON - FIRMWARE - THAT - CAN - BE - EXPLOITED - EASILY.

SKY3DS - IS - FOR - PEOPLE - ON - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARE. - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARES - CANNOT - BE - EXPLOITED - AND - SO - GATEWAY - CAN - DO - MORE

The amount of Gateway Nazis is unbelievable.
Are you trying to troll? All extra features Sky3DS has were developed by other people/teams... The situation is clear here. Those who bought into Sky3DS were trolled along. The card was going to meet an end sometime hence why GW thought ahead and created emuNAND, even though I'm sure they'll (most likely someone else) will figure out how to bypass in time. As for your silly GW vs. Sky3DS arguments. It's extremely pointless to try and argue that Sky3DS is better when it's quite clear GW is a smarter group with a stronger following. No matter what way you put it, Sky3DS is just an overpriced "flashcard" that will never compete with the amount of features other companies already have.

Also It doesn't matter if it support higher firmware. Honestly it doesn't. Do some simple research and order a console from Canada. They still have ones on older firmware, it's not hard. Sky3DS supporting higher firmware doesn't justify it's price. That's why most bought GW you know.

Now let's stop these silly arguments, no one gives a fuck about each others flashcard so quit trying to make it seem so.

Reactions: Deleted User

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been out of the loop for awhile - have we deduced Happy Home not working on CFW due to this to AP? I've tried a clean dump of it and it still will not boot. Hope things get cleared up sooner rather than later.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to troll? All extra features Sky3DS has were developed by other people/teams... The situation is clear here. Those who bought into Sky3DS were trolled along. The card was going to meet an end sometime hence why GW thought ahead and created emuNAND, even though I'm sure they'll (most likely someone else) will figure out how to bypass in time. As for your silly GW vs. Sky3DS arguments. It's extremely pointless to try and argue that Sky3DS is better when it's quite clear GW is a smarter group with a stronger following. No matter what way you put it, Sky3DS is just an overpriced "flashcard" that will never compete with the amount of features other companies already have.

Also It doesn't matter if it support higher firmware. Honestly it doesn't. Do some simple research and order a console from Canada. They still have ones on older firmware, it's not hard. Sky3DS supporting higher firmware doesn't justify it's price. That's why most bought GW you know.

Now let's stop these silly arguments, no one gives a fuck about each others flashcard so quit trying to make it seem so.

Shhhh....Just let him say what he wants....

Reactions: Zidapi

Kaytsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Nonetheless Sky is still a good option for people with N3DS's >9.2 FW. It's usually been trashed for being overpriced and whatnot...well hundreds of games for 80-90$, that's not a bad deal. I don't own either one so...

That being said for me personally neither of them are viable option for me at the moment, I don't want to exclude myself from OFW updates as N3DS user so Sky at the moment is still "better" option for me. Some games among hundreds not working isn't such a big deal for me as I usually buy retail versions of the games I really like anyway.

P.S. I do have a R4 so I don't have to carry my GBA with me aswell.

Edit: For o3DS I might or rather would go with GW for it's continuity and support. I'll just have to wait and see which one comes first; GW with latest emuNand support for N3DS or Sky with it's rainbow colored card . It wouldn't hurt if it also was flashable. Non updatable cards just feel greedy and unprofessional.

Last edited by Kaytsu,
Reactions: grasuxxl

MaNiAlJoWo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you said that to me in person, I would murder you.
What "features" from the "3DS community" does Sky3DS use?
All the card does is emulate a game card. Now, please explain to me what these "features" are.
And your last statement pisses me off more than anything. Let me explain this as clearly as possible.

GATEWAY - RUNS - ON - FIRMWARE - THAT - CAN - BE - EXPLOITED - EASILY.

SKY3DS - IS - FOR - PEOPLE - ON - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARE. - THE - LATEST - FIRMWARES - CANNOT - BE - EXPLOITED - AND - SO - GATEWAY - CAN - DO - MORE

The amount of Gateway Nazis is unbelievable.
Attention, attention. The internet tough guy is in the house. Hide your women and kids and pray for not beeing killed.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Back when people were cracking the 10 game limit on the red cards some interesting information was starting to come out on the sky3ds.

one was that the winbond chip which does shit with headers can be reprogrammed. unknown If they included the hooks to make it user updateable though.
the other was that the asix chip in the sky3ds doesn't exist on the asix parts page and that the info seems to be silkscreened over top of the actual chip identifier. seems like people lost interest in trying to figure out what the chip actually is soon after the 10 game limit was broken. did anyone ever identify the chip or is it still unknown?
if the chip is secretly upgradeable its possible they hold back on releasing firmware to stop clones from happening and they like money of reselling cards although I doubt people would be willing to rebuy again.

something else I was wondering about is if we can take a .3ds game and decrypt it into a .cia why cant reverse those steps and take a .cia and rebuild it into a .3ds that sky3ds would understand? kinda like rom injecting, would get around the piracy check but also maybe open the door for region free.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
something else I was wondering about is if we can take a .3ds game and decrypt it into a .cia why cant reverse those steps and take a .cia and rebuild it into a .3ds that sky3ds would understand? kinda like rom injecting, would get around the piracy check but also maybe open the door for region free.
Because everything need to be signed by Nintendo! That's why.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe some people are on the latest firmware and they just want to play games?

If you only want to play games, why buy another console on a lower firmware AND a Gateway card when you can just buy a Sky3DS card?

I am not saying Sky3DS is better, I'm saying you simply can't say one is better than the other. Yes, Gateway has more features. What I don't understand is, is the fact that there are certain Gateway users who give out to people who don't concern them in any way when they buy a Sky3DS.

Sky3DS is immune to firmware updates
Gateway is not

Gateway is immune to anti-piracy checks
Sky3DS is not

Sky3DS is "invincible", it's two games that are not.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe some people are on the latest firmware and they just want to play games?

If you only want to play games, why buy another console on a lower firmware AND a Gateway card when you can just buy a Sky3DS card?

I am not saying Sky3DS is better, I'm saying you simply can't say one is better than the other. Yes, Gateway has more features. What I don't understand is, is the fact that there are certain Gateway users who give out to people who don't concern them in any way when they buy a Sky3DS.

Sky3DS is immune to firmware updates
Partially true. Nintendo could block it with a firmware update (because Sky3DS is sloppy), but Sky3DS team could release a new card that circumvent the block.

Father Crilly

GBAtemp's Phoney Priest
Trophies
XP
Country
Partially true. Nintendo could block it with a firmware update (because Sky3DS is sloppy), but Sky3DS team could release a new card that circumvent the block.

But a Sky3DS is the same as any cartridge except it has, ahem, "removable storage". It's like taking the software out of one cartridge and putting it on another.

I'm a Sky3DS user. I'm on firmware 9.7. I'm not going to update it anymore, because (call me paranoid) Nintendo might release a stealth update.

Anyway, how would it be possible to detect a Sky3DS over a proper card?

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But a Sky3DS is the same as any cartridge except it has, ahem, "removable storage". It's like taking the software out of one cartridge and putting it on another.

I'm a Sky3DS user. I'm on firmware 9.7. I'm not going to update it anymore, because (call me paranoid) Nintendo might release a stealth update.

Anyway, how would it be possible to detect a Sky3DS over a proper card?
Because, as I said, Sky3DS is sloppy. They did not make it exactly like another card: they just did the minimum for it to be accepted by the console.
Let's say Nintendo send an unconventional command to Sky3DS: Sky3DS wouldn't react correctly.

Orkna

Trophies
XP
Country
Like they did with Xbox 360. Microsoft started to send commands to the DVD drives that only the original drive firmware could answer correct. Wrong answer from modified firmware? Bam. Banned console!

Sure. They found a way around that too but it didn't happen over a day.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like they did with Xbox 360. Microsoft started to send commands to the DVD drives that only the original drive firmware could answer correct. Wrong answer from modified firmware? Bam. Banned console!

Sure. They found a way around that too but it didn't happen over a day.
The problem with cartridges is that they are a blackbox. But yes, it's something similar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT