Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

Felixraku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Has anyone recently heard anything from Sky3DS?

Because Gateway bypasses the anti-piracy check completely, I am now convinced that if Sky3DS are going to want to stay in the game then we'll be seeing a new coloured card. I know that I previously thought that it was software related, I take that back.

Nope. If it worked like that then it would affect sales.

I could buy a physical game for €40 and keep the digital copy while I sell the physical one for €35.

The sky3ds card doesn't contain an interface for users to update the firmware of flashcard(Gateway has the method.)
That's why maybe sky3ds need a new card(in the future, maybe) to bypass the new anti-piracy check.

by the way, i think, using or not using piracy, is everyone's self affair. Ever it's illegal, everyone takes the responsibility by oneself.
It's not the business of other players. The others don't have to interfere.

Reactions: Quantumcat

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone recently heard anything from Sky3DS?

Because Gateway bypasses the anti-piracy check completely, I am now convinced that if Sky3DS are going to want to stay in the game then we'll be seeing a new coloured card. I know that I previously thought that it was software related, I take that back.

Nope. If it worked like that then it would affect sales.

I could buy a physical game for €40 and keep the digital copy while I sell the physical one for €35.

they say they're working on it. stuff like this can take time so give them to the end of the month at least then maybe ask for an update on progress. even the gateway team took months at times to get around certain things and that team has more options with work arounds whereas sky3ds needs to act like the real cart.

this is what we know.
-sky3ds main chip is unknown. it says its an asix chip but the model doesn't exist, the company logo is incorrect and its a messy silkscreenover the original chip identifier. asix could be making chips under the table for the sky team but its more likely sky is trying to hide what their real hardware is to avoid clones.
-if their chip is updateable they still have to create a new diskwriter and firmware for the card as well as figure out how to deal with the protection itself.
-they are aware releasing firmware could open the door to clones which could cut into their profit. that said flash cards are largely sold based off positive word of mouth and shown support from the team itself. its why people recommend gateway over its clones. if the sky3ds team wants the continued support of its fans they need to update the firmware(would also make red cards into blue ones) and not try to resell another card.

Time will tell what happens. Im sure they follow this forum so hopefully they do the right thing. For now we simply have to wait for their response.

The sky3ds card doesn't contain an interface for users to update the firmware of flashcard(Gateway has the method.)
That's why maybe sky3ds need a new card(in the future, maybe) to bypass the new anti-piracy check.

you don't need a interface to update firmware. it can be done through button presses/holds on the blue/red button itself.

Last edited by nervx,

hunter010709

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, now that I see the DMCA info I agree that it is technically illegal to have backups of any media if you have to circumvent any kind of DRM to do it. It used to be illegal to rip CDs too, but the recording industry backed off at some point. It is currently illegal to backup copy-protected DVDs and Blu-rays to a home server as well, in addition to backing up games. So I guess I don't see the point of any of that. I own all the content already so saying I can't place-shift it for my convenience seems pretty arbitrary.

Nintendo could easily make this a non-issue if they allowed a digital copy for every physical copy you own (like the digital copy you get with movies now). Say you buy the game physically, let me download a copy to the console of my choice. ALSO, let me deactivate it (and uninstall it) to install on another console if I upgrade / sell / lose it, and let the deactivation happen on an account system like Sony has to simplify the process. I'm not holding my breath, but if that happened I would have no issue dumping the Sky3DS as that is solely what I'm using it for.

So have you dumped the sky yet, or was that statement above a lie? But your telling the truth about never using a pirated game with sky, never tested before you bought etc....

You know it makes no difference to anyone, so i don't know why the effort to convince people you don't pirate.

At the end of the day, it may be true you do, it may be true you don't, only you can really know the truth on that, but one thing i do know is true is hardly any, if any at all believe you and that isn't going to change regardless of how many times you tell us otherwise.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

they say they're working on it. stuff like this can take time so give them to the end of the month at least then maybe ask for an update on progress. even the gateway team took months at times to get around certain things and that team has more options with work arounds whereas sky3ds needs to act like the real cart.

this is what we know.
-sky3ds main chip is unknown. it says its an asix chip but the model doesn't exist, the company logo is incorrect and its a messy silkscreenover the original chip identifier. asix could be making chips under the table for the sky team but its more likely sky is trying to hide what their real hardware is to avoid clones.
-if their chip is updateable they still have to create a new diskwriter and firmware for the card as well as figure out how to deal with the protection itself.
-they are aware releasing firmware could open the door to clones which could cut into their profit. that said flash cards are largely sold based off positive word of mouth and shown support from the team itself. its why people recommend gateway over its clones. if the sky3ds team wants the continued support of its fans they need to update the firmware(would also make red cards into blue ones) and not try to resell another card.

Time will tell what happens. For now we simply have to wait a while.

Good points, unless someone has got into the guts of it, we can't although many do, say it is definitely not upgradeable. To this day i haven't seen that anyone has worked out the full specs and workability of the card, so we just have to wait.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good points, unless someone has got into the guts of it, we can't although many do, say it is definitely not upgradeable. To this day i haven't seen that anyone has worked out the full specs and workability of the card, so we just have to wait.

not updateable claims are due to the asic tag on the chip. asics are not rewriteable.
however because the markings on the chip appear to be fake its impossible to know for sure what the chip really is. ive asked ASIX and they said they don't make the chip but im not 100% about the response. Recently I requested any information they can provide on the chip but it takes them a while to respond so well see what they say.

Last edited by nervx,

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not updateable claims are due to the asic tag on the chip. as, but ics are not rewriteable.
however because the markings on the chip appear to be fake its impossible to know for sure what the chip really is. ive asked ASIX and they said they don't make the chip but im not 100% about the response. Recently I requested any information they can provide on the chip but it takes them a while to respond so well see what they say.
I think it is cool to learn about the underpinnings of things, but trying to figuring out some Chinese hardware is practically impossible without sophisticated equipment. If they are using a Chinese foundry they can put any part number they want on a chip. Even if the implemented chip is updatable, some type of dongle or in-circuit programmer would be required along with software and the update file. Seems like a tall order to me. Perhaps a ROM patching solution is required here, like in the days of old.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it is cool to learn about the underpinnings of things, but trying to figuring out some Chinese hardware is practically impossible without sophisticated equipment. If they are using a Chinese foundry they can put any part number they want on a chip. Even if the implemented chip is updatable, some type of dongle or in-circuit programmer would be required along with software and the update file. Seems like a tall order to me. Perhaps a ROM patching solution is required here, like in the days of old.

ya I figure its a custom chip or at least not the one the label claims it to be. if asix verifies its not one of theirs again then that nullifies the people claiming its not updateable because then no one will actually know what the chip is. might help cut down on the trolling.

a dongle is viable and cheap solution but it isn't necessary if they have the card set correctly. could be as simple as a double press then hold of the button for X seconds or whatever which triggers the card to check for firmware on the sd card and update.

xrM

Trophies
XP
Country
not updateable claims are due to the asic tag on the chip. asics are not rewriteable.
Do keep us informed, I'm really curious as to what asic sky uses as well.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know it makes no difference to anyone, so i don't know why the effort to convince people you don't pirate.

At the end of the day, it may be true you do, it may be true you don't, only you can really know the truth on that, but one thing i do know is true is hardly any, if any at all believe you and that isn't going to change regardless of how many times you tell us otherwise.

I'm not trying to convince anyone. I was responding to one person who called me a liar, that's all. I don't care who believes me, it's an internet forum for goodness' sake. I could post a picture of my 3DS (25 games) and DS (50+ games) physical game collection but as you said, no one really cares.

Regarding the legality of the Sky3DS, I haven't found any compelling evidence saying I would be arrested for owning it, particularly if it doesn't contain any illegally-procured games. For me, I consider it fair use of my purchased property. Feel free to disagree.

Reactions: Zidapi

esmrjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey i dont really care but i wanted to point out you have to throw away your sky3ds if you dont want to be called a liar on the internet lol.

If you can show me a U.S. law that says owning a flashcard is illegal I'll get rid of my Sky3DS right now..

OK, now that I see the DMCA info I agree that it is technically illegal to have backups of any media if you have to circumvent any kind of DRM to do it.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're absolutely correct. I'll admit right here that I misspoke about throwing away my Sky3DS. I didn't take into account the possibility that it was illegal to make backups of things you own, I was only thinking it was illegal to download games you don't own. In retrospect I should have said something like 'if there is any chance of being prosecuted for just owning a Sky3DS I'll get rid of it'.

That said, I feel I'm obeying the spirit, if not the letter, of the law here. The DMCA is meant to protect the rights of content creators. I pay for my content and so am respecting those rights. Copying it to a flashcard for convenience doesn't hurt content creators. In fact I would argue I'm more likely to buy games if I CAN play them on a flashcard. Without the convenience of a flashcard I'm less likely to just accumulate more games since it's harder to manage a collection like that on the go.

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Small question for you guys, do you think that an homebrew can be a workaround to launch the newer games with Sky3DS? (Using Ironhax, a kind of fix to launch Fire Emblem for exemple, a bit like the region free but to counter anti piracy measure)

I dunno if it is possible, I don't have any knowledge about that kind of stuff.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're absolutely correct. I'll admit right here that I misspoke about throwing away my Sky3DS. I didn't take into account the possibility that it was illegal to make backups of things you own, I was only thinking it was illegal to download games you don't own. In retrospect I should have said something like 'if there is any chance of being prosecuted for just owning a Sky3DS I'll get rid of it'.

That said, I feel I'm obeying the spirit, if not the letter, of the law here. The DMCA is meant to protect the rights of content creators. I pay for my content and so am respecting those rights. Copying it to a flashcard for convenience doesn't hurt content creators. In fact I would argue I'm more likely to buy games if I CAN play them on a flashcard. Without the convenience of a flashcard I'm less likely to just accumulate more games since it's harder to manage a collection like that on the go.
I think you make some great points in your justification for using a Sky3DS. As you said, you've already paid the content creators for their work. I too have a solid collection of 3DS/DS games (63/153), and have in the past used flashcarts to consolidate my collection when traveling.

The fact is Nintendo are more interested in manufacturers and distributors of flashcarts than those who use them. Nintendo are all too happy to acknowledge that you are legally allowed to backup your games, but the fact remains that there are no legal means to do so.

hunter010709

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you make some great points in your justification for using a Sky3DS. As you said, you've already paid the content creators for their work. I too have a solid collection of 3DS/DS games (63/153), and have in the past used flashcarts to consolidate my collection when traveling.

The fact is Nintendo are more interested in manufacturers and distributors of flashcarts than those who use them. Nintendo are all too happy to acknowledge that you are legally allowed to backup your games, but the fact remains that there are no legal means to do so.

Where, when?

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do keep us informed, I'm really curious as to what asic sky uses as well.

I received a response from Asix's technical team this morning. I included a picture of the chip along with the information request and they were very clear that they are not the makers of the sky3ds chip.

So now the markings on the chip are confirmed fake (probably to throw of clone attempts) and claims of sky3ds is not updatable because of those markings are now void.

Some people have seen small bits of text under the false asix info but unless sky3ds owners start pulling their carts apart and one of us are lucky enough to get one where the silkscreen failed Its hard to track down this chip any further. Maybe if someone has a dead sky3ds they can try to remove the asix logo without erasing the text under it by steaming it and carefully peeking it off.

D

Deleted-355425

how easy are they to take apart? i have a 100x digital microscope hooked up to a monitor at work :yayps3:

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I received a response from Asix's technical team this morning. I included a picture of the chip along with the information request and they were very clear that they are not the makers of the sky3ds chip.

So now the markings on the chip are confirmed fake (probably to throw of clone attempts) and claims of sky3ds is not updatable because of those markings are now void.

Some people have seen small bits of text under the false asix info but unless sky3ds owners start pulling their carts apart and one of us are lucky enough to get one where the silkscreen failed Its hard to track down this chip any further. Maybe if someone has a dead sky3ds they can try to remove the asix logo without erasing the text under it by steaming it and carefully peeking it off.
Can you provide a screenshot of the reply from asix? You know somebody is going to ask, or call you a liar at some point. So it'd be nice to be able to link to some proof when that time arises. Cheers.

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I just read through this entire 25 page thread of FUD, flaming and trolling and I feel a bit exhausted. I just bought a N3DS and the first thing I did was put in Xenoblade and upgrade my firmware to 9.5 so that I could actually play something on my new system. I sure appreciate being treated like an idiot because gateway owners feel like waving their pricks at the Sky3ds owners.

So I see that Sky3ds is the only option for me now, and not even a very attractive one given its current situation. I guess waiting is the name of the game, either for a new sky card, or a price drop on the blue button cards.

What does anyone think about the possibility of a gateway update to support newer fw? I see 9.2fw was released on oct 29 of last year, and gw put out an update on dec 18. That's a pretty good turnaround until you realize it's been 9 months since the last update for new fw support.

Gateway does look like the better option than having to cycle through dozens of roms one at a time with the blue button. But hey, I should have thought about that before I started to play my new game like a chump.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Small question for you guys, do you think that an homebrew can be a workaround to launch the newer games with Sky3DS? (Using Ironhax, a kind of fix to launch Fire Emblem for exemple, a bit like the region free but to counter anti piracy measure)

I dunno if it is possible, I don't have any knowledge about that kind of stuff.
Unlikely, Ninjhax 2.0 can't access arm9, so it can't run roms
Ok, so I just read through this entire 25 page thread of FUD, flaming and trolling and I feel a bit exhausted. I just bought a N3DS and the first thing I did was put in Xenoblade and upgrade my firmware to 9.5 so that I could actually play something on my new system. I sure appreciate being treated like an idiot because gateway owners feel like waving their pricks at the Sky3ds owners.

So I see that Sky3ds is the only option for me now, and not even a very attractive one given its current situation. I guess waiting is the name of the game, either for a new sky card, or a price drop on the blue button cards.

What does anyone think about the possibility of a gateway update to support newer fw? I see 9.2fw was released on oct 29 of last year, and gw put out an update on dec 18. That's a pretty good turnaround until you realize it's been 9 months since the last update for new fw support.

Gateway does look like the better option than having to cycle through dozens of roms one at a time with the blue button. But hey, I should have thought about that before I started to play my new game like a chump.
Yoi could try trading it in (or returning it to the retail store), and get a new console. Otherwise I wouldn't bet on waiting for Gateway to find a new exploit. The previous firmware it worked on was 4.5 which was in like 2013 (someone correct me if that is wrong).So there's chances it might not work until firmware 14.0 and/or 2 years down the track (for example).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol