Hacking PSA: IronFall is the ONLY GAME to force updates on 10.4

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing about it is, even if you remove the check for Ironfall, it's still not that useful, because you'd need to run homebrew/code to do it in the first place, and if you can do that, then why bother fixing Ironfall? I mean yeah, it'd be a cool proof of concept, but still not that great. And since it's in the firmware itself, that'd require modifying it, which breaks signatures, and there's no realistically easy to use boot-time exploit that we have in our possession like the PSP had, where we boot right into permanent CFW (and again, if you had that, you wouldn't need Ironfall in the first place).

Well, yes and no. Technically anyone with Ironfall can use BrowserHax as well, but people opt to use Ironhax because it's more stable... BrowserHax only works like 1/4 of the times I try it. (Plus you don't need an Internet connection but that's minor - you do need one to set it up the first time so it's a moot point I suppose)

Anyway - I have emuNAND set up so my main system is still on 9.2 but my emuNAND is fully updated. Sometimes I need -hax to access certain things, like dumping extdata without needing SaveDataFiler. When you load emuNAND you're already patching stuff every time you load it up, so if you're able to fix the update blacklist with kernel access, it might stay that way.

I'm also thinking of the "Flash cart timewarp" thing that cearp made a while back, same idea.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Well, yes and no. Technically anyone with Ironfall can use BrowserHax as well, but people opt to use Ironhax because it's more stable... BrowserHax only works like 1/4 of the times I try it. (Plus you don't need an Internet connection but that's minor - you do need one to set it up the first time so it's a moot point I suppose)

Anyway - I have emuNAND set up so my main system is still on 9.2 but my emuNAND is fully updated. Sometimes I need -hax to access certain things, like dumping extdata without needing SaveDataFiler. When you load emuNAND you're already patching stuff every time you load it up, so if you're able to fix the update blacklist with kernel access, it might stay that way.

I'm also thinking of the "Flash cart timewarp" thing that cearp made a while back, same idea.
Well, if you have emuNAND you can install hbloader.cia (or whatever it's called), it's really stable and usable without an Internet connexion.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So sick and tired of scrolling through 20 pages of people going "but I spent my money on this game, how crappy!" and talking about phoning Nintendo to complain.

The million-dollar post is from ihaveamac in a different thread with this information
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/APT:IsTitleAllowed

That's IT. No paid games whatsoever, and not even other free ones! I used the "old version downloader" through NinjHax to test this, got a copy of Pokémon Rumble World and it acts the same as always, asks if I want to update or launch anyway.

I was going to make a video where I test various retail game carts that have updates on a non-modded 10.4 system to answer once and for all, but I don't even have to, someone's already done the research!

The real question is, can userland exploits (as in, -hax) modify that Is Title Allowed list? If so, it would probably be possible to unblock Ironfall Invasion simply by removing it from that list - you could use any other entrypoint (Cubic Ninja, the browser or what have you) to run a tool to do that.
If not, it would probably need kernel access e.g. Gateway or another CFW.

Now can we please stop getting people whining about "my hard earned cash" because Ironfall is a free download and no other title has been affected by this update.

I haven't seen a single person mention anything about money. ( Although, I.F.I did have DLC. )

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I was just sitting here laughing, thinking, the hell are Nintendo's priorities? Why would you just patch out Ironfall? Don't you realize there's bigger shit to deal with, like the new browserhax and menuhax and the new kexploit path?

and thats when it hit me that they did patch mch2 and it is quite seriously the end of the world.

thank god i hit the cfw button before it was too late

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
At first I was just sitting here laughing, thinking, the hell are Nintendo's priorities? Why would you just patch out Ironfall? Don't you realize there's bigger shit to deal with, like the new browserhax and menuhax and the new kexploit path?

and thats when it hit me that they did patch mch2 and it is quite seriously the end of the world.

They kinda just shit this update out. They didn't really throw in the effort to patch much.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I wouldn't quite say the sky is falling, but you do only get one real chance at downgrading now, without a hard mod + backup.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im wondering if 10.3 is the better FW then?

What you wouldn't want is an update system nag to appear every time you try to launch a title that has an update available. I'm not so much concerned about games that are already out but what about the games that have yet to come? I guess what I would like to understand better, did 10.4 add a fore update blacklist that can be edited remotely at anytime for game titles? Or did it merely just add a line of code to force update ironfallhax and to add other game titles, Nintendo would have to roll out with another system update.

10.3 and 10.4; seems 10.3 is safer

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im wondering if 10.3 is the better FW then?

What you wouldn't want is an update system nag to appear every time you try to launch a title that has an update available. I'm not so much concerned about games that are already out but what about the games that have yet to come? I guess what I would like to understand better, did 10.4 add a fore update blacklist that can be edited remotely at anytime for game titles? Or did it merely just add a line of code to force update ironfallhax and to add other game titles, Nintendo would have to roll out with another system update.

10.3 and 10.4; seems 10.3 is safer

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

IronFall is an optional update even if you update everything else, menu and browser are forced to get into eShop, and cart updates cannot be forced for other reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +2
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    Beer isnt my thing but a root beer once in a while is good
    it gotta be MUG brand tho
    man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    man, rootbeer is so good
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think I prefer Barq's to MUG though. But, it's been a while, maybe I need a side by side to refresh my memory lol
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Think I prefer Barq's to MUG though. But, it's been a while, maybe I need a side by side to...