PSA: Brickers Abound

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Lorderpy

Lorderpy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    Israel
    Israel
    About time!
    All he had there is poor random forks and crappy modifications to the source of other software. The URL he included in his modified "RiiConnect24 Patcher" was removed from the host by request, although he was not aware.
    We have copies of all of their "bricking" crap- it's good that it's no longer out there in the public, in GitHub.
    The script kiddie also had private information about another user in the wii scene, including a full body photo of them- in a repository dedicated to sharing it.
    Additionaly, after violating all of these rules- they abused the edit feature in GitHub to make a pull request- a joke.
    (They also created several "nudes" repositories but eneded up deleting them shortly after)

Last edited by Lorderpy, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Persona 4 Golden? That's it!? Console gaming on the go done first!!?? As if the latter ever mattered in something being done better, let alone right!

I have a recommendation: keep your opinions to yourself. Then you won't get destroyed by people older and more experienced than you!

3. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Will the bricking ever stop?

Petraplexity and mironicurse like this.
  4. Lunar_Magika

Lunar_Magika Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2019
    United States
    Well, as if it was a pain in the ass to unbrick my 3DS already (installed Luma CFW w/ A9LH like an idiot) now I have to be cautious of hardbrickng retards, nice.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So Console brickers ain't gettin' no pussy? (or dick, who am I to judge) LOL

5. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm glad to hear there's a backup. I did see the code for some of these apps during my little investigation and he didn't even remove comments with credits for the original creators, hence some initial confusion regarding innocents being involved in this nonsense. It was very, very sloppy indeed - typical copy-paste job with no flair or flourish to it.

Lorderpy likes this.
  6. DANOMINATOR

DANOMINATOR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Nintendo ninjas are getting to the site! There's no way that Tempers would be this terrible!

...right? :angry:

7. jamezfat

jamezfat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Mom's basement
    ahh takes me back to when DS brickers were a common threat lol

8. Larsenv

Larsenv Dr. Wii, Ph.D

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    DFW
    I wonder why the guy decided to target a "classic" console instead of something like the Switch... The Wii though? Pfft

9. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    The NES can run homebrew too

10. ElTacoDestroyer

ElTacoDestroyer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2019
    United States
    That's cool. I'm definitely going on a YT worm hole dive.

11. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    There is a homebrew app that simulates a Windows 98 on the NES, ive used it one time and it was pretty cool.
    There isnt much of homebrew apps for the NES (more so bootlegs), which is understandable and sad at the same time.

ElTacoDestroyer likes this.
  12. Raindropz

Raindropz Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2019
    United States
    Whoever bricks Wiis is dumb and stupid.

13. PikachuR77

PikachuR77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2018
    United States
    What happened to all the information on the front page?

14. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The information originally quoted from the source has been redacted to prevent it from spreading and giving the guy publicity, the message remains the same though - exercise care and don't install binaries from unsavoury sources.

15. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    Germany
    Hidden Nintendo agents uploading those stuff

16. mironicurse

mironicurse GBAtemp Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Russia
    Wii antivirus when?

17. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    I think all homebrew loaders/package installers should have a built-in anti-malware feature. One that checks if the homebrew writes important parts of the NAND, which could leave you with a bricked console, and warns the user before installing, like Vitashell when you install a .vpk file only more advanced. And maybe check the hashes against a database of known brickers.
    E0427F3A-920E-4222-9B2B-B4FEF509F8A5.
    What we could do in the meantime is create a separate installation of dolphin, just for testing homebrew, and if nothing happens make a NAND backup before installing/using the homebrew/WAD.

Last edited by Alex4nder001, Sep 4, 2019
  18. gaberilde

gaberilde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016

you would also need to rename sd.raw as some of the bricker has a "anti dolphin check" all it does is check if that file is on the nand renaming it bypasses the check on dolphin so if you cant get it to work on there thats why

19. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    Does that mean we can protect our Wiis by simply placing a file called “sd.raw” on the actual NAND?

Last edited by Alex4nder001, Sep 4, 2019
  20. gaberilde

gaberilde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    if that bricker has that cheap anti dolphin code then yeah, you can trick a real wii into a dolphin wii lol it wont work with all brickers only wii bricker 9000/pong so far works