Hardware PS5 M.2 support arrives

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is speed.

The PS5’s USB 3.1 Gen 2 USB ports can deliver up to 10 Gbps, which is 1250 MB/S. A suitable internal M.2 SSD can deliver around 5500-7000MB/S (seq read).

Sony would likely have opted for something like MS’s solution if it was external, which long term may be worse for consumers as prices inevitably come down on off the shelf M.2 SSDs.

Yeah but if you think about it.... you can still put PS4 games on the external and just leave PS5 on the internal and it's a win.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but if you think about it.... you can still put PS4 games on the external and just leave PS5 on the internal and it's a win.

Until you have enough PS5 games that it doesn't work, COD alone is apparently over 200GB alone and the PS5 only has 667GB usable.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until you have enough PS5 games that it doesn't work, COD alone is apparently over 200GB alone and the PS5 only has 667GB usable.

Gotcha well it's Sony fault they should make it 2TB at minimum for space. I hope they make a bigger model in the future considering it is hard to even get a PS5 now.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like they didn't hand out many beta codes. Seems like another shortsighted move to not get as many users as possible to test for issues.

Reactions: Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
That's stupid, there's no reason M2 drives shouldn't have worked from day one. Beta firmware be damned.

The PS5's firmware was probably rushed, would explain some of the bugs I've seen/heard about e.g. semi-bricks.

The M.2 shutdown is likely just a CYA move, since it would likely still be powering the M.2 slot and the OS likely wouldn't be monitoring things like temps on the SSD.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldn't be in beta for long, assuming no major issues are reported. Can't be that hard to optimize for such a short list of approved drives.

Is there an official list? So far all I can find is ‘the best….’ Lists on gaming sites.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is there an official list? So far all I can find is ‘the best….’ Lists on gaming sites.
I'm not sure Sony has compiled their own list yet, and I think only one or two brands have declared their drives officially supported. Basically it's just what's in the OP though, as very few drives currently meet the speed requirements.

Reactions: tech3475

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't be in beta for long, assuming no major issues are reported. Can't be that hard to optimize for such a short list of approved drives.
Looks like I spoke too soon as I just received an email with a beta code. Hopefully, I'll be able to install the firmware tonight and report back on the M.2 performance.

Reactions: wartutor and Xzi

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll ever understand the need for more more storage on anything other than Nintendo consoles. I've never run out of space on a PS3, P45, PS5, 360, or Series X.Why ya'll need 50 games installed at the same time? Just play some of that shit ya got horded on there for months on end & then delete it. :P

What ticks me off is that both the PS5 and Series X have a 4K blu-ray player, but neither have Dolby Vision support for 4K discs. Sony's tv's are advertised as "BEST FOR PS5!!!!!" and have Dolby Vision support, but not the PS5 itself. Series X has Dolby Vision for gaming, but not for UHD blu-ray discs. After spending Over $1K on 2 consoles, shouldn't have to dish out another $300 for a stand alone player that supports DV.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS5's firmware was probably rushed, would explain some of the bugs I've seen/heard about e.g. semi-bricks.

The M.2 shutdown is likely just a CYA move, since it would likely still be powering the M.2 slot and the OS likely wouldn't be monitoring things like temps on the SSD.

Yeah, I still don't trust beta firmware either, I'll wait.

Reactions: tech3475

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone able to confirm the Rocket 4 Plus? I'm looking to go full 4TB so I won't have to do this twice, and that's the only 4TB model not "out of stock" everywhere.

Also looking for heatsink recs with that model.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just picked me up a
2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
For a steal at $305 now just need a heatsink for it

Edit shit this may end up in my laptop it's a 520 not a 530 oh well lmao

Last edited by wartutor,

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I only got to play for an hour but I couldn't perceive any difference in that time. I wish there was a way to monitor the temperature of the SSD though as I'm betting it gets super hot in that little compartment. It also bothers me that there doesn't seem to be any over-provisioning being done to prolong the life.

The good news is that the beta firmware was just as stable as the normal one. I just hope Sony adds some more options for managing the SSD.. but it feels unlikely.

I would also recommend buying a SSD based on the new Phison E18 controller. The Samsung 980 Pro is the best of the non-E18 class but it barely makes the minimum required read speed (5500MB/s). Mine was clocked at 5560MB/s by the PS5 so not great.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was a way to monitor the temperature of the SSD though as I'm betting it gets super hot in that little compartment.
Does air from the fan not circulate throughout that chamber? I know there are at least a couple holes on the inside of it, and it is positioned right near the front of the fan.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I only got to play for an hour but I couldn't perceive any difference in that time. I wish there was a way to monitor the temperature of the SSD though as I'm betting it gets super hot in that little compartment. It also bothers me that there doesn't seem to be any over-provisioning being done to prolong the life.

The good news is that the beta firmware was just as stable as the normal one. I just hope Sony adds some more options for managing the SSD.. but it feels unlikely.

I would also recommend buying a SSD based on the new Phison E18 controller. The Samsung 980 Pro is the best of the non-E18 class but it barely makes the minimum required read speed (5500MB/s). Mine was clocked at 5560MB/s by the PS5 so not great.

Huh? My 980 Pro in an x570 (PCIE Gen4) was getting near 7K on crystaldisk.

Apparently though, there are reports of slower drives working fine, such as the 5000MB/S Rocket 4 (non-plus).

Last edited by tech3475,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm