PS4 Fan Problem

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I purchased a ps4 over a year ago that was on 5.05 running cfw and due to health i never got round to playing on it.

I thought the other day i would have a go on it and noticed shortly after turning it on it would say the ps4 console is too hot and powers down.

I figured maybe its the fan, so i removed the case so i could see the fan and noticed when i power it up, the fan isnt spinning.

So i had someone who fixes ps4 consoles to take a look at it, he cleaned out the fans properly and cleaned the insides best he could without actually taking the console apart and still the fan would not work when powering it on.

So he decided to take out the fan and replace it with another one he knows is working.

He now messaged me saying he isnt sure if its the fan, after replacing it with one he knows is working, the console is still the same, powers on but the fan still isnt going.

He has checked all connections and says they seem fine, nothing broken or not inserted properly, but he isnt sure why the new fan isnt working.

I was wondering if anyone else has witnessed anything similar where their fan stops working and even after replacing it, it still doesn't work.

Im desperate to try find the cause of the problem and get this ps4 working again, the only reason i bought it was because it was on 5.05 and running cfw.

During the very brief time i did use it when i first got it, it worked fine, since then a year an half later not been touched all of a sudden the fan wont work even after replacing it.

Thanks.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it's a jailbroken console from a previous owner, maybe the threshold for the fan to work is set at a higher temperature, this may have been done to keep the console silent

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it's a jailbroken console from a previous owner, maybe the threshold for the fan to work is set at a higher temperature, this may have been done to keep the console silent
The guy did mention somethint about altering the fan settings but the console wont stay on long enough.

Aparently he knows a way to alter the fan (I don't, never got round to looking due to cancer) and he tried to fit his fan and see, but after a minute or so it over heats and turns off.

Would buying external fans that connect to the back of the ps4 be good enough so he can try alter this fan setting he is talking about.

I am also gutted as i had a new full tube of thermal paste un opened that ive never used (when i used to be into pc gaming) and when he came and took it apart i was going to suggest if he applied fresh paste.

But he found he couldnt get it to work so took it home with him and said he will strip it down and try see whats wrong, couldnt see anything obvious with my fan so he put his inside and said it would boot fine, as soon as he tries to connect to his internet it would shut down.

So, like for me, after a minute or so, its getting too hot and powers down, he confrimed his fan wasnt working in mine so is it hardware related or software, i cant see cfw causing this problem.

And to be fair, during the very brief moment i had got to use it (just testing it worked after buying it) it worked and i dont recall hearing the fan, as i can on my pro when im sat no where near it.

So, could this person i bought the ps4 off, altered the fan so its not working and needs altering or set so its overloaded the fan and broke it.

Gutted as i was hoping if it was just the fan thats broke, i could buy a new one, but he has ruled that one out by using his.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thermal part would explain the part about shortly after turning it on it would say the ps4 console is too hot and powers down. As for the fan if it doesn't work either the fan or the connector on the board is no good.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thermal part would explain the part about shortly after turning it on it would say the ps4 console is too hot and powers down. As for the fan if it doesn't work either the fan or the connector on the board is no good.
Yea thats the message i had, but due to it shutting down it now says it didnt shut down properly and to connect a controller.

When i took the case off i did notice a little board that was loosely screwed to the console opposite to the fan, it was loose and i thought i cant see sony having circuit boards that you can move/wobble.

Ill try dig out my thermal paste and apply it, im wondering if i buy external fans that attach to the back of the ps4, if it can blow enough air in to then see if i can see this so called setting for the fan and alter it.

I cant see a fan working in one, then not work in mine, the guy has said since posting this that he cant see any damage or like burning out.

He has suggested maybe previous owner altered fan settings so the console is quiet.

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When the power cable is removed from the PS4 any settings that were made by the fan threshold payload are removed and the PS4 fan threshold will be set back to the stock default 79 degrees C setting.
Meaning that the fans should start spinning faster when the temperature reaches 79 degrees to try and keep the PS4 temp below 79C.

Of course this is under normal PS4 usage. I dont know if the fan is meant to spin up at boot or not but I imagine it should, at least a little.

The guy who fixes PS4s should know the normal fan behavior and wether the fan should spin at boot or not.

If the fan is ment to spin up at boot time and yours is not there is probably something wrong with either a sensor that detects the temp or power is not getting to the fan for some reason.

Reactions: ZeroT21 and susi91

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the power cable is removed from the PS4 any settings that were made by the fan threshold payload are removed and the PS4 fan threshold will be set back to the stock default 79 degrees C setting.
Meaning that the fans should start spinning faster when the temperature reaches 79 degrees to try and keep the PS4 temp below 79C.

Of course this is under normal PS4 usage. I dont know if the fan is meant to spin up at boot or not but I imagine it should, at least a little.

The guy who fixes PS4s should know the normal fan behavior and wether the fan should spin at boot or not.

If the fan is ment to spin up at boot time and yours is not there is probably something wrong with either a sensor that detects the temp or power is not getting to the fan for some reason.
I thought fans ran all the time like a pc fan would?

If they're not meant to then maybe it just needs fresh thermal paste?

Reactions: Leeful

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought fans ran all the time like a pc fan would?

If they're not meant to then maybe it just needs fresh thermal paste?
I would think so too. But I'm not 100% sure on the PS4 but imagine they probably do.
My previous post was mainly regarding the fan threshold payload and how it works.

New thermal paste would be the first thing I would do in your situation.

EDIT: Yes the PS4 fan should spin up at boot time. Check this video at 20:21

Last edited by Leeful,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1