Hardware PS4 = Easy to Emulate?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The new systems coming out will be easier to emulate as they are all PC-based, and you won't need a supercomputer to do it, but coding a hypervisor is not easy either, and there are still parts of the system that will need to be emulated just not the CPU which is the heaviest in emulation.

The Suspect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that one of the main reasons that we still have a hard time emulating Xbox (Original) and the old Sega Saturn, is because they're operating via a different, complex CPU system, so... In that sense, it would be logical that the PS4 would be ''easy'' to emulate.
However, I am no programmer, or anything close to it...
So want to hear what the rest of the Temp thinks, especially if you're a tech geek, understand emulation and so forth... :P

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who rich of view tech USA, no he's a smart guy but what he saying is he bascially knows that since the ps4 system is x86 it's very easy to work with, so interms some one could probably be able to make an emulator but it won't be perfect or close to good if you have a 4-500 dollar computer

Reactions: Coltonamore

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Actually, it will be extremely easy to emulate... Both in terms of hardware requirements and programming of emulators...

It will take some time, but expect usable PS4 emulators far earlier than PS3 ones...

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, no. Uneducated.

I love it when people say uneducated then give no information as to why he's wrong, it's a personal thought get over yourself.
The guy did say more than once it wont be right away.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulating the CPU and GPU will not be required as PC's will be able to run all of that code native.

The problem will be the custom chips and the encryption/DRM that is sure to be loaded and checked at every stage.

Probably a special chip on the drives of these things just to make sure the data coming off the drive is encrypted and only decrypted after it hits main RAM.

At least that's how I would do it, encrypted disk, hits chip with key right on the drive encrypted data sent to RAM then decrypted by another chip on a need to know basis... Different schemes for the GPU and the CPU so that even if one is cracked the other can be used to re secure the system using some of that fancy GPU code stuff... lol

Encryption on a GPU is probably pretty effective, since using a GPU to crack encryption is one of the best ways to do it... I can only imagine the tool would be equally useful on the other end of the spectrum.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emulating the CPU and GPU will not be required as PC's will be able to run all of that code native.
Even though original Xbox uses x86, no decent emulator exists. One of the reason is that despite using x86, it also incorporates a lot of undocumented instructions, instructions that were not found in x86.

GPU is even a harder one, because you are forgetting 8 GB GDDR5 unified memory. You'll need a way to keep up the speed and the size of the memory. Like CPU, it'll also use various undocumented low level instructions.

Just because it is x86, does not mean it'll be easy. The possibility is there yes, but not a definite one.

This thread needs to be locked.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Even though original Xbox uses x86, no decent emulator exists.

Yup - not even a good interpreter exists. The CPU architecture match doesn't mean that you'll be able to run the software just fine - consoles are full of customized features and hardware which all have to be emulated.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that one of the main reasons that we still have a hard time emulating Xbox (Original) and the old Sega Saturn, is because they're operating via a different, complex CPU system, so... In that sense, it would be logical that the PS4 would be ''easy'' to emulate.
Xbox (original) isn't complicated at all. It's basically a consolized PC. PS2 has a far more complex CPU system than Xbox and it's been emulated. Only thing I can think of holding it back is no real demand for Xbox emulation. Most of the wanted games have ports on other systems (or PC).

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If these new systems are indeed x86-64 and not too modified they will be possible.
But remember they are 8 core systems(xbone too) and emulation would probably require a PC in the i7 category (or the amd 8 core equivalent) running like 4.5GHZ.
they are 8gb systems, sot he pc would likely need 16 or 24gb

i would say, the thing that would keep it hard isnt the hardware, but the operating system(fw) in the console.
first step would be to get that emulated properly; at full speed, with proper IRQ handlers.

its not like the old days were you could just emulate calls tot he hardware.

Now you need to emulate calls to a ever evolving operating system - or emulate it thoroughly.

is it possible? hell ya
is it likely? rofl no.

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Xbox (original) isn't complicated at all. It's basically a consolized PC. PS2 has a far more complex CPU system than Xbox and it's been emulated. Only thing I can think of holding it back is no real demand for Xbox emulation. Most of the wanted games have ports on other systems (or PC).

ps2 is just reaching full speed now on near top of the line systems like ivy bridge
and even that has slow downs.
i would say its emulated sure, but theres still games unplayable - its not complete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+