• Total voters

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey people, I'm a longtime member that hasn't posted anything in years, and just found out that I won't be coming back to work soon, so I have some free time and some things that I want to get comments on...

I bought a first gen PS4 Pro on OFW 5.56 last year, and I was planning on keeping it at that FW until a new CFW comes out, but now I'm not so sure...

I had a special edition Star Wars Battlefront II PS4 Pro before that one and it was on the latest firmware at the time, i bought it used and the previous owner left his games on there, about 10 great games like The Witcher 3, Until Dawn and some others, and I loved it but had to sell it due to money issues last year.
I really liked watching Blu-rays and Netflix with my PS Platinum Wireless Headset!

And I can't do that on the new one because obviously by being on a lower firmware I can't go online to watch Netflix, or even download the Blu-ray player (which I just found out is because Sony didn't want to pay $0.20 for each PS4's licence).

I've only played a few hours of Uncharted trilogy on disc on this one, but now that the game was free along with Journey (I added both to my account with the PS app on my phone), and given that Uncharted 4 is currently free on PS+, and that I signed up for the trial last year when they were giving out The Last of Us, I don't think I have a reason to keep waiting for a CFW, since those are basically all the games I actually want to play...

So, should I update it today and stop waiting for a CFW that might not come soon? Or just update it, download my free games and sing up for a year of PS+ today, before they removed Uncharted 4. I don't like this month's free games, so I hope the remaining 11 months are good.

And for the record, I also have an Xbox One X with gamepass until July and a CFW Switch so I basically want the PS4 for the exclusives. And prices on God of War, Spider-man and Horizon Zero Dawn are REALLY low, so I might as well just buy them on disc...

Anyway, this was more like a rant than an actual question, but would love to hear someone else's thoughts or recommendations on this!

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
If what you wants is free games, then keep it for several years.
If you want my honest opinion, update it.
Unlike the Switch, tge ps4 is much enjoyable online.

spyrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
I also am dealing with the dilema, I got a PS4 pro on 5.55 since I bought it over a year and a half ago. Been waiting for an exploit all this time, and now that TheFl0w confirmed that his hack is not possible anymore, I am thinking on updating it.
God of War, Last of Us 1, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete and Spiderman are all playable on FW 5.55, got them on discs, but Yesterday I got MediEvil and that requires a FW 6.7x so I am tempted to just update it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also am dealing with the dilema, I got a PS4 pro on 5.55 since I bought it over a year and a half ago. Been waiting for an exploit all this time, and now that TheFl0w confirmed that his hack is not possible anymore, I am thinking on updating it.
God of War, Last of Us 1, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete and Spiderman are all playable on FW 5.55, got them on discs, but Yesterday I got MediEvil and that requires a FW 6.7x so I am tempted to just update it.

actually, theflow quit the ps4 scene due to how he was treated by people who call themselves sceners. it doesn't look good at this point. it looks like the inner circle is just going to keep hacks for themselves. I can't say I blame 'em. with how certain people treat devs, it's amazing any of them bother to do anything...and for free. all of those games minus spider man are playable on an exploitable system, but there's a lot that can't be done. I don't see that changing anytime soon, so might as well update. besides, a new exploit will most likely be for the latest firmware rather than some antiquated firmware no one has.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or TC can buy another PS4 and keep this hackable PS4 PRO, the modded PRO version is so rare and you can sell at greater value than the NON-HACKABLE one.

I would just sell it maybe you can earn some extra cash for legit games+new console.

Reactions: Mo Poge

spyrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
actually, theflow quit the ps4 scene due to how he was treated by people who call themselves sceners. it doesn't look good at this point. it looks like the inner circle is just going to keep hacks for themselves. I can't say I blame 'em. with how certain people treat devs, it's amazing any of them bother to do anything...and for free. all of those games minus spider man are playable on an exploitable system, but there's a lot that can't be done. I don't see that changing anytime soon, so might as well update. besides, a new exploit will most likely be for the latest firmware rather than some antiquated firmware no one has.
Oooh well, I guess I'll just move on and update it, have some Humblebundle games on a US account so that will be an addition.
With my luck the new exploit for 5.55 will be live 3 days after update :rofl:

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Quick update: I ended buying a cheap 12 month PS+ subscription, and decided to update it and download the free games I already owned plus the ones they were giving out this month.

Haven't even played anything yet :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker