Ps4 disc icon keeps flashing

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a ps4 on 5.05 and found it needed repairing as it was over heating.

Thats now been fixed and now find my disc drive wouldn't feed discs in, practically dead.

So got the guy who fixed my ps4 to look at the disc drive, he has swapped the disc drive and all that happens when inserting a game is the disc icon keeps flashing in the top right corner and it wont boot any games.

He says he has taken the board off my disc drive to the new one so its paired to the motherboard.

I have no idea what it could be.

Has anyone had this problem or any info about it if it can be fixed.

Thanks

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
couldn't say, but whatever you do, don't try to install a firmware or reinstall what you have. chances are it won't take and you'll be in a boot loop if something is not right with the bd drive.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Re-check all the ribbons. You have spin-up so you have power, the drive responds to the eject button so you have panel functionality, but no data is being transferred. The daughterboard has 4 connectors total.

82E78C01-E98D-4B6C-9539-969AF5F4D5FD.jpeg

If memory serves, the bottom connector hooks up the board to power, the top three connectors (left to right) are mobo, drive assembly and controls. The two connectors of interest are mobo and assembly, be especially careful with the first because the ribbon has little wings that can be ripped off - press the metal tab before gently pulling. Reconnect those ribbons on the daughterboard and check the one on the mobo before proceeding. The PS4 is kinda dumb - it doesn’t really care if the drive is connected or not, it will always show up as an icon.

Reactions: godreborn

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy claims the disc drive didn't have a daughter board.

He has taken mine out which wouldnt feed the disc in (but last i used it, it worked).

He has put a new drive in, it will take the disc, eject fine, but the disc icon will sit there flashing.

He had a drive with a daughterboard and said it wouldn't fit in the ps4.

So ive no idea.

I was planning on using this to play my old games with cheats and mods, but looks like ill have to go down the route of getting a hdd and figure out how to download games and install them to a hdd.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you are missing your original daughterboard and you have a model where the drive is paired to the motherboard, you’re effectively boned. You need your board back, the guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. Without the original board you are risking a brick in the event you ever update your firmware.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said the drive didn't have a board on it, he sent pics of the drive.

Do all disc drives have daughter boards

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some have one built-in, what model is this, exactly? Have you tried reinstalling the firmware, in the event that the disc drive firmware is mismatched with the console firmware? You can use a USB stick with the same version you’re running and do an offline install, that way you won’t lose your exploitable firmware.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are the images he sent me.

Attachments

• received_1208058843011064.jpeg
    received_1208058843011064.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 95
  • received_1232726253872586.jpeg
    received_1232726253872586.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 86
  • received_183009840679076.jpeg
    received_183009840679076.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 83
  • received_556931562061124.jpeg
    received_556931562061124.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 81
  • received_343867687510967.jpeg
    received_343867687510967.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 80
  • received_3030770657204871.jpeg
    received_3030770657204871.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 90

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, 5.05 Full is very easily googlable, Wololo even has a guide on how to perform the procedure.
I think ive had to recover fw before by safe mode, so will give it a try.

Will it wipe my browser bookmarks that i have for the exploits.

Or does it just redo the fw.

Thanks for the advice anyway, does the attached drive images look right as ive never seen what the inside of a ps4 looks like.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think ive had to recover fw before by safe mode, so will give it a try.

Will it wipe my browser bookmarks that i have for the exploits.

Or does it just redo the fw.

Thanks for the advice anyway, does the attached drive images look right as ive never seen what the inside of a ps4 looks like.
I’m actually not entirely sure, I normally initialise the console before performing a full install. Anything that does cause loss of data will inform you about it beforehand.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m actually not entirely sure, I normally initialise the console before performing a full install. Anything that does cause loss of data will inform you about it beforehand.
Do the above pics look normal for a ps4 drive as it doesnt show a daughterboard.

So if there are models without one, i wonder what would prevent rhe drive from working.

I hope the guy didnt throw mine and it had one then replace it with one without.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do the above pics look normal for a ps4 drive as it doesnt show a daughterboard.

So if there are models without one, i wonder what would prevent rhe drive from working.

I hope the guy didnt throw mine and it had one then replace it with one without.
The only models that require a daughterboard swap are the early CUH-100x consoles, later models had the daughterboard hardware incorporated, that’s why I asked which model you own. It’s hard to tell whether one belongs there or not because they haven’t changed the mold for the plastic shell, so you have a spot where the daughterboard would have been, but there’s no board in sight. You will notice that the CUH-1200A disc drive does not feature a daughterboard:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+CUH-1200+Entire+Console+Disassembly/52475

Whereas the CUH-1001A does:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

Just on first glance yours doesn’t feature one, so you should be good. It’s missing the sticker that’s supposed to hold all the ribbons in place, but that could’ve been removed. Judging by the ribbon length this is the new drive, but those can be swapped too. The model number of the system will give you a definitive answer, or better yet, a glance at the motherboard. You don’t even need to remove the heat shields, the connectors should be plainly visible under the power supply.

Either way, I’d start with software solutions if you’re confident the system is assembled correctly and all the ribbon latches are locked correctly.

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some have one built-in, what model is this, exactly? Have you tried reinstalling the firmware, in the event that the disc drive firmware is mismatched with the console firmware? You can use a USB stick with the same version you’re running and do an offline install, that way you won’t lose your exploitable firmware.
Not yet, but will look at doing that some point today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over