PS3's USA vs EUR game copies

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any significant differences or are they mostly identical?

The thing with EUR prints is that they could have multiple languages while USA is English only (the only language I care about, personally).

I read EUR copies may have British English than American English although most of the time they keep it in US-EN than bother changing to UK-EN. I'd rather avoid that, tbh. Don't like reading "colour," "centre," "labour," "tyre," "grey," etc.

There's also the fact there may be regional exclusives, e.g. Saint Seiya - Soldiers' Soul received a physical release in EUR/JPN, but not USA.

Oh, South Park - The Stick of Truth in EUR region (Australia included) was censored while the USA was uncut.

That's more or less what I'm aware of. Anyone know more to help out?

I'm just trying to build a curated library with the best PS3 releases.

Thanks.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sidenote southpark wasnt censored in austria
austrian games are always uncut so most times its the superior EUR release but other than that in gen 7 its more of a game to game case

• Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sidenote southpark wasnt censored in austria
austrian games are always uncut so most times its the superior EUR release but other than that in gen 7 its more of a game to game case
Whoa, that feels like an oddity.

I've never seen anyone mention this, so it's certainly a cool fact to know.

Reactions: rantex92

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am less familiar with the PS3 for this but could do it for the 360 (though that has some region locking going on a game by game/release by release basis). PAL vs NTSC video and speeds was a thing of the past by this point, don't think there were any "only NA got high res versions/multi screen" and such shenanigans.
I will leave it to you to figure out if the PS3 version is suitable for your purposes -- leaving aside controller preference it often saw the lesser version of such things compared to 360 and PC or at least was not the lead platform. Other than PC then differences by legal agreement would tend to be small enough to not really compare to the stuff seen in generations prior. Slim exceptions maybe for things remade exclusively to the PS3 or later ports (see Eternal Sonata, Ninja Gaiden, whatever went on with the Nier series, and Deadly Premonition for some of the examples people usually look at).

You are more likely to encounter UK English in such scenarios, be it from NA devs converting over or Europeans doing their own translation from Japanese (usually skews less localisation heavy but that is more for older games). Text though rather than dubs, though there are a few (including others for Australia). I will also note it is more than minor spelling differences and there can be some quite different phrasing.
It was marginally less prevalent to see multi5 games as well (UK English would generally be its own thing and then various combos of European languages for others), and censorship was mostly a German thing (which probably also meant the Austrians and Swiss suffered as well as you would not so often get separate versions there unless there was otherwise a separate version made for Germany) where everybody else got their own stuff going on.
I don't think anything was uncensored in Europe that was censored in NA or Japan either on the PS3, as that can be a thing on other systems. If there was then probably not anything like dealbreaker levels of change positive or negative, give or take some gambling stuff probably being removed somewhere in it all because EU laws.
For my money boxart if any differences arose I would usually favour the European versions of -- US markets seem to be both a bit censor happy and favour ridiculously saturated efforts.

Gold versions of PS3 games more often included DLC on the disc rather than as an extra download that was the case for most things outside Japan on the 360 (though things change there and this was also the generation that saw the second hand pass thing attempted).

I don't know if the PS3 got any lesser versions in PAL countries -- some 360 stuff got their first version of a game when the NA region was getting the gold version with a bunch of updates and DLC, and I don't think ever saw the eventual gold/goty/whatever version.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is nitpicking, but the game titles per region really throw me off, here's an example:

1st Example

[USA] Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault
[EUR] Ratchet and Clank: QForce

2nd Example

[USA] Ratchet - Deadlocked
[EUR] Ratchet - Gladiator

So unless the customer/player does some research then he (or she) may think it's a different game when it's actually the same game with a different title.

Reactions: rantex92

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday