Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Issues with 1.2 and 2.2 on fat PS3 models
Posted on 3rd October 2010

We have received reports from users that the newly-released v1.2 and v2.2 firmware updates are not working properly on fat PS3 models. The update seems to be fine on slim models, though.

We are investigating the cause of this and another firmware update is our top priority.

If you are using a fat PS3 model, we advise against installing this update.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

a bit too late for me, I dont know why they just put up the old 2.0 firmware back up

edit:
someone put the dl link for v2.1
http://www.icascot.com/ps3key21.zip

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure your on 2.2?

everyone on other forums cant get it working with 1.2 or 2.2 on a fat ps3
seems a little odd that yours is only working

anyway I reflased 2.1 and works fine again
i'll wait for 2.3

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we really have no idea that they can
there have been just rumors but no actions from them such as bans

anyway it doesnt matter since you need 3.50 to sign on

fastphil

Trophies
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
are you sure your on 2.2?

everyone on other forums cant get it working with 1.2 or 2.2 on a fat ps3
seems a little odd that yours is only working

anyway I reflased 2.1 and works fine again
i'll wait for 2.3

yep i am definetly on 2.2 i updated when it was first realesed i even contacted the ps3key team regarding it,when i first tryed it would not update tryed a second time & it worked dont no how but did,got all my games working including F1 2010

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.3 and 1.3 are released

QUOTE said:
---------------------
New features in v2.3:
---------------------

1. Fixes a bug present in v2.2 which prevented the update from working on fat PS3 models.

---------------------
New features in v1.3:
---------------------

1. Fixes a bug present in v1.2 which prevented the update from working on fat PS3 models.

they are working on another update for hermes payload v3

morgoth123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I Updated my PS3key one time to 2.2 version and it worked fine..now i wanted to update to 2.3 but no go it seems..after inserting the led starts off with red and then remains blue (and not blue and red together) and the "Update now" button in PS3KeyUpdater remains greyed out no matter how often I remove and insert. I tried two different pcs. This update procedure is rather crappy if you ask me. Anyone else got this problem and maybe know how to solve it if it's possible at all?

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3Key v3 released

QUOTE said:
---------------------
New features in v3.0:
---------------------

1. A general update based on the Hermes v3 payload to add the associated features.

but also more important news is they will go open source, allowing anyone to release custom firmware for the device

QUOTE said:
In the past few weeks we have received several requests from distributors and end users who wish to be able to flash their PS3Keys with the very latest firmwares that are not yet available from ps3key.com.

As customer satisfaction is our number one priority, we have decided to release material and source code necessary to make this possible in the very near future.

The PS3Key update system was designed to protect end users from bricking chips with bad updates. A word of caution is therefore necessary here. If you experiment with custom updates your WARRANTY WILL BE VOID, and it is possible to BRICK the Atmel version of so that an external AVR programmer is necessary to restore any functionality. Generic AVR-based dongles and SiliconLabs-based PS3Keys are safer for experimenting with custom updates.

If you wish to use the product as advertised we strongly suggest you do not experiment with custom firmware unless you have some AVR experience and an AVR programmer on hand just in case.

We are now working on modularising the code and will release an update incorporating the "Hermes v4" features soon. We will also make source code and material for generating custom updates available soon. While compiling custom updates might add bleeding-edge features not yet available in the official PS3Key, it is not something we recommend for inexperienced users. Preferably, please be patient and trust us to deliver a safe update solution for you. It might take a little longer than the other versions available on the web, but you'll have the piece of mind that you're covered by our warranty in the unlikely event that something does go wrong.

and also PS3Key v2 hardware is in the wild now
this version does not need the program to flash it, its simple drag and drop the file just like a flash drive
is uses a different file (firmware.bin) and the actual device is using a Silabs chipset instead of the Atmel chipset

------------------------------------
PS3KEY UPDATE v3.0 - FOR SILABS ONLY
------------------------------------

-------------
Instructions:
-------------

2. Insert your PS3Key into your Windows PC and be patient. Windows will go through a series
of checks before finally recognizing your PS3Key.

3. Once your PC has recognized PS3Key, it will show as a USB Flash drive in Windows.

4. You can click on index.htm in the flash drive to see which version you are currently running.

5. Drag-and-drop the firmware.bin file onto the flash drive to update the dongle

6. That's it! It is now safe to remove PS3Key from your PC and continue to enjoy using it with
the new features!

zootoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a couple of questions about this.

Does it make actual changes to your firmware or does it just run from the USB?

What are future problems that could arise?

If my PS3 was to stop functioning for any reason would I be able to get it fixed under my warranty?

How close are we to a +3.41 version?

Thanks

PS. If I wanted to start backing up my games in advance from my laptop to a ExHD - would that be possible?

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zootoxin said:
I have a couple of questions about this.

1) Does it make actual changes to your firmware or does it just run from the USB?

2) What are future problems that could arise?

3) If my PS3 was to stop functioning for any reason would I be able to get it fixed under my warranty?

4) How close are we to a +3.41 version?

Thanks

5) PS. If I wanted to start backing up my games in advance from my laptop to a ExHD - would that be possible?
1) no, it doesnt make any changes to the firmware, just runs from the USB

2) future problems are games not running because they require higher firmware (which is already a problem) but people are bypassing it
other things like PSN bans, but it is speculation at this point

3) as far as I can tell yes, just make sure to install homebrew installed on the system and any "folders" which are part of it

4) not very close as far as I can tell, people are working on cfw right now

5) this is not possible as you need to use backup manager to decrypt the game files, just plopping game files on the hdd from the disc wont work

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and with that PS3Key v4.0 released

QUOTE said:
---------------------
New features in v4.0:
---------------------

1. A general update based on the Hermes v4 payload to add the associated features.

updates for atmel, silabs, and hex file

zootoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GUYS!!!

It would appear that my PS3 is at version 3.50. with updates switched off all along.

Can I just ask again in a different way.

If I use this key and download the back up manager and put games on a ExHD, when I remove the ps3key and reboot.
Is the PS3 then stock?

With my PS3 being at 3.50 - what next?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!