Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the thought, of just buying a PS3 is bothering me .
a few exclusives that interest me , but i am not even sure if they will get localized to NA . [FF Agito XIII, Next Tales of game , Tales of Vesperia Remake]. other than that, there are also the more popular exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted and Little Big Planet .

is the PS3 worth the money ? don't tell me, oh don't get it just get a PC . the main reason is for communication . i doubt i could get all my friends into PC Gaming but all of them are just console gamers . so i am just thinking about buying a PS3 for the exclusives and to talk to them .

i own a XBOX 360 and computer used for gaming . the cheapest PS3 is $300 and i was REALLY interested in trying out PS2 games too but it's not backwards compatible like the phat >_<

i will not buy a used Phat, mainly cause my parents would say no . i might even have to buy a seperate PS2 just to play PS2 games because of the PS3 just not being backwards compatible .

so opinions, should i get it or wait for next-gen console ?

EDIT: Quick read this .
is the HDD changeable, and how important does the size of the HDD play with the PS3.

ACDCGAMER

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're planning on downloading a lot of stuff such as add-on content and PSN games, that 20 gig drive is gonna fill up fast. While you CAN change out the hard drive for a bigger one, I think you're really just better off getting a new Slim. I have one and it's awesome; it's unfortunate that you can't play PS2 games on it due to the removal of the Emotion Engine processor but I love my PS3 to death. Lots of great exclusive games, free online service is awesome, built-in Wi-Fi and a 120 gig hard drive as well as a ton of other features for $300? Plus it's a Blu-ray player that will also upscale your DVDs to HD resolution when you play them.

Plus, you never know how long a refurbished system will last you. That's why I almost always buy new, even if it's more expensive. Just get a Slim now, and save up some money to buy a PS2 later, unless the Slims get backwards compatibility support through software emulation by that time.

Oh, and you can use Netflix on it too.
smile.gif

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually really enjoy most of the PS3 exclusives and use my PS3 a lot more than 360. Final Fantasy Agito XIII is for PSP though not PS3, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is for PS3 they both will be getting a US release because they're big franchise name games from Square Enix, but i wouldn't hold my breath on the Tales of Vesperia getting localized to the US just get it on 360.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh fail . my bad .
okay , i will start saving up now ;D .
i haven't been much into PC Gaming since well ... no friends to play with .

i've been using my PC all the time for everything, but the most it's been used for is playing CoD4 and a little video + photo editing .

i got the same though about refurbished consoles, they aren't new so that's another bother. how much are PS2s again ? i am pretty sure i could probably just buy one off of my friends, but if i buy it refurbished anywhere, what's the range of price for them?

$300 for slim ... i will put start saving up for this . hopefully by Christmas being the earliest.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend would say sure get one, but he has the doodad that makes all the games free games.

Thing is, do you like enough PS3 games to give a damn free or otherwise eh.

He told me the doodad is 10 bucks, I told him so what, convince my son to get it otherwise I have no use for one.

Seems my son is interested, but it's his 10 bucks eh.

Myself, I own one only PS3 game. I bought the PS3 for the non game using reasons mainly.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I suggest saving up 350 dollars to get a bundle with a game. Sony sells bundles with some of their best games (Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain etc.) for 350 dollars, and it includes a hard drive that's twice as large as the normal model.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well i am aiming to get the exclusives as the priority . ones that are already localized: Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, maybe God of War, Time Crisis, Infamous, Kill Zone, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden Sigma... Yep that's all . it's easy listing them , but having to search for them might be a pain .

i already told you some of the games i want to be localized ... i don't want to get a PS3 then find out they won't be localizing those games since that's what i want the most out of all the games listed.

i plan on using it for online gameplay since i might even end up getting CoD if it gets cheaper ...
if this doodad interferes with me trying to play online, then it's not an option
ohnoes.png

i appreciate the fact that they don't charge for online gameplay, which was a plus for me . i will pay for the XBOX's yearly live membership, but if both were to require a membership for online, it's XBOX for me .

i will look out for those bundles at Christmas . hopefully, they'll be bundled with one of those listed games ;D.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Since you already own an Xbox 360, you should heavily consider whether the PS3 has enough exclusives to interest you. Many major titles on the market are available on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, and with you already owning one of the HD consoles of this generation, it's tough to recommend getting the other one since most games that people want do end up on both. However, while the Xbox 360 namely boasts Halo, Gears of War, Fable and such as exclusives, the PS3 has an array of its own. You've got Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, and a bunch of others as well.

Seeing that you're in North America, it's safe to assume most of your friends probably own an Xbox 360, and not as many own a PS3. To really get true value out of titles nowadays, you'll want to be able to play with your friends online, and if you only have a couple of friends that have a PS3, there isn't a real need to get it unless you really want to play those exclusives, or if you're sick of the Xbox 360.

Other factors is that the PS3 is well capable of being a home theater machine, being able to run Blu-ray, DVD, and other forms of media straight off the console. And that Xbox Live does cost you $60 a year, whereas the PSN is free (unless you pay for PlayStation Plus).

And yes, the HDD is interchangeable with most 2.5" laptop hard drives you can buy separately. Just open up a flap on the side of the console, and swap away. The PS3 does have a habit of installing games to the hard drive by default, so you'll want to get in maybe at least a 100GB if you plan to get a bunch of content onto the hard drive. I'm on a 80GB, and it's fared me well so far, but that's because I haven't purchased many games.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
question , when i choose to change the HDD on the PS3, can i use any 2.5" HDD ?
or are there special HDD made for the PS3? like for example, on the XBOX, you would have to buy those officially licensed HDD by Microsoft instead of just changing the HDD in the case with any other HDD.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh i see i see .
and i know this might be a stupid question to ask but , will the PS3 be able to downgrade firmwares ?
i don't wanna buy a Slim, then find it having 3.42 firmware .

if that's gonna happen, then i might just spend some more money on games then i usually would've .

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no it cannot be downgraded.

as of now that is.

there has been a development called PS downgrade, we'll have to wait it out and see how it goes - but its real.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're anything like me, you'd have to own it just to be able to talk shit about it.

The PS3 has no games.

Okay, now that's out of the way, I feel disappointed in a lot the PS3 has to offer, but the only way I have free reign of opinion is to own all three. Sure I love Heavy Rain, and Uncharted 2 was great, but unless you're looking forward to sparse blockbusters, PS3 is really only great for Move iteration and having a Blu-ray player.

Like Carbon said, if you own a 360, like I do, you really already played half the library. Aside from the few great exclusives, I normally get multi-consoled games on the 360. Most look better on it imo.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SubliminalSegue said:
If you're anything like me, you'd have to own it just to be able to talk shit about it.

The PS3 has no games.

Okay, now that's out of the way, I feel disappointed in a lot the PS3 has to offer, but the only way I have free reign of opinion is to own all three. Sure I love Heavy Rain, and Uncharted 2 was great, but unless you're looking forward to sparse blockbusters, PS3 is really only great for Move iteration and having a Blu-ray player.

Like Carbon said, if you own a 360, like I do, you really already played half the library. Aside from the few great exclusives, I normally get multi-consoled games on the 360. Most look better on it imo.
WTH PS3 does have more games than the 360
XD

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
XXLANCEXX said:
SubliminalSegue said:

The PS3 has no games.

WTH PS3 does have more games than the 360
XD

It's a joke, numbnuts. It's like saying Obama is a good President or Canada is a country.

example:
nogames.jpg

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
oh fail . my bad .
okay , i will start saving up now ;D .
i haven't been much into PC Gaming since well ... no friends to play with .

i've been using my PC all the time for everything, but the most it's been used for is playing CoD4 and a little video + photo editing .

i got the same though about refurbished consoles, they aren't new so that's another bother. how much are PS2s again ? i am pretty sure i could probably just buy one off of my friends, but if i buy it refurbished anywhere, what's the range of price for them?

$300 for slim ... i will put start saving up for this . hopefully by Christmas being the earliest.

if the slim ps3 was built like the slim ps2 DONT buy it it will burn out fast the ps2 slim ad no fan so it had no source of cooling off so ur screwed if ur a hardcore gamer like me. just research and cheack if it has a fan just some healthy advice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)