PS3 vs. XBOX 360

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ryan, Dec 14, 2008.

?

Which system should I get?

1. PS3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. XBOX 360

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Dec 14, 2008

PS3 vs. XBOX 360 by ryan at 5:19 AM (8,061 Views / 0 Likes) 95 replies

1. ryan
    OP

Member ryan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This Christmas my dad is thinking about finally upgrading our 27" CRT television to an LCD HDTV of some sort. If we end up getting some huge TV, I definitely want to get a new gaming system. I already have a Wii, so I was considering getting a PS3 or an XBOX 360.

I can't decide which would be better though. XBOX has some sweet games out there, but PS3 has it's benefits... Here's a little list I made to help sway my decision one way or the other. Please feel free to add points for or against either system. I'm literally on the fence.
    (Also, I am a fan of RPG, racing, and shooting games for the most part... if that affects system choice at all.)

PS3 Good:
    - Plays Blu-Ray discs
    - High definition resolution up to 1080p
    PS3 Bad:
    - New PS3s won't play PS2 games? (I think I read that somewhere...)
    - More expensive... "Playstation 3 80GB - $399.99 CAD"

XBOX Good:
    - Better games (for me): Fable 2, Gears of War, et cetera...
    - Easier to "hack" and play around with than PS3?
    - Better price... "Xbox 360 Pro Console 60GB - $279.99 CAD"
    XBOX Bad:
    - No Blu-Ray support

Other than that, I really haven't got too much information on either... I'm sure many of you have strong opinions on this matter, so I hope to get a lot of feedback!
    Thanks!

2. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I say you should get the 360 it has alot of good games like Gears of War and Halo3.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  4. ryan
    OP

Member ryan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    HAHA!!! By "exact same" you weren't kidding. wow!

Posts merged

About the PS3 for media purposes... How does one load the content onto the console? I didn't think it had a built-in card reader or USB ports...

5. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    You forgot to mentaion that the 360 dies quite a bit. I personally think you should get a PS3 simply for Warhawk. That is one of the best games I have played in ages and I cannot wait until Massive Action Game comes out. 256 players oline at one. (drools)

6. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I'd go for the 360, since theres more games that suit my interest.

Also, I hate Sony's cocky attitude.

7. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    I'd go for a PS3, I don't like the 360's library, Xbox360's name should be changed to FPSBox360.

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure it has. Also you can probably connect the ps3 to your network so you can transfer things straight from your pc to the ps3. The 360 has this function as well.

The ps3 has the slight advantage of allowing you to use any size SATA hard drive whereas microsoft forces you to use their crappy HDD's...

The 360 also has the ability to output in 1080p and produces the same quality image as the ps3. I find the controller for the 360 much more comfortable and the online service is so much more developed ([​IMG] party chat) and a lot more popular. It has a much larger library of mustplay exclusives (although most of them are action shooters) yet the ps3 has a promising future ahead. The ps2's library wasn't exactly impressive till about 4 years into its life.

9. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I'd say to get an Xbox.

Why?

a) PS3 may support Blu-ray, but really it's useless without a 100" TV because even DVD's look wonderful even on a 50".
    b) Games on the PS3 are very rushed and buggy. It's easier for developers to code for the 360 and have a good final product -- take the Orange Box for example -- wonderful for Xbox, shitty for PS3.
    c) PS3 doesn't have as many games -- who cares if the PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4 and Little Big Planet. 2 games do not sell a system. I can think of at least 20 great 360 games off the top of my head.
    d) Almost all PS3 games require an install to the hard drive. It's optional on the Xbox. Want a collection of 10 games for the PS3? Forget it, get a bigger hard drive.
    e) Home for PS3 is useless. It's basically a graphically better ActiveWorlds (some of you may know what I'm talking about [​IMG] ) and adds no additional value to the PS3. Xbox has NXE with Avatars, but at least the avatars are used in games to make the experience more personal (Who cares if they look like Mii's, Mii's are ugly bastards)

I could go on, but you get my drift [​IMG] I'm not a fanboy, I've owned both at one point and I got rid of the PS3 as it's enjoyment level was just not as much as the Xbox 360's.

10. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Blu-Ray is a "con" in my opinion. I do not believe for one second that the human eye can tell the difference between a blu-ray and a DVD playing on a typical home LCD/Plasma set. Maybe the sound is better if you put it through a "towards-the-top-of-the-range" audio system, but again for the majority of people Blu-Ray is simply an unnecessary and unwanted "half-step" forward in the format evolution. You want to go and start trying to replace all your favourite DVDs with their Blu-Ray equivalents ? Are you rich ? For most of us, the answer is going to be "no".

So Blu-Ray really is out of the equation when looking for your new console.

Go for a 360 - Sure they may die of RROD, but you get a 3 year warranty against this now so that's not a major issue any longer.

Xbox live is not free, like PSN, but it IS better, faster, more populated.

Xbox360 is NOT only for FPS freaks.... there are other games out there in their hundreds. Just unfortunately no POS like "littleBigPlanet" (Most eagerly anticipated game ? WTF ? It's just a graphically flash 2D platformer (with 3D effects) that the lazy bastard programmers didn't even finish - "I've got a good idea.... rather than finish the game lets just spin it that the customer ends up designing the levels for us! Kerching !"

11. Joey R.

Banned Joey R. Banned

Spain
    I'd have to say 360 too. I've never been a fan of Sony's PlayStation line, but, fanboyism aside, the 360 library is much more appealing to me than the PS3's. As for its media capabilities, I sincerely don't give a damn about the ultra-super-high quality Blu Ray. I can't understand why some people are personally offended if they only can watch their films in 720p instead of 1080p *sigh*

12. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    *sighs*

Get the console which has the most games which you are intrested in. Also besure to check out future games.

That way you will pick the correct console

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    let me tell you the "good" and "bad" of each console.

PS3 GOOD
    blu ray player
    2 USB ports (current models)
    in built wifi
    can install linux
    a console that will last and WILL NOT sound like a jet aeroplane.
    wireless controller/s included (depending on what model you choose to buy or bundle)
    FREE online gaming
    HOME
    upscales DVDs
    you can upgrade the hard drive yourself up to 500GB (sata 2.5")
    overall good value for money because of what you get included
    a blu ray disc can hold more data 25gb
    better controller design
    1080p HD gaming.
    HDMI

PS3 BAD ( i will be honest)
    no ps2 backwards compatibility (removed from current models)
    no exclusive DLC sometimes it always goes to the xbox 360 ¬_¬
    developers sometimes don't port games to ps3
    no in game music for all games
    no proper ipod support
    ps3 europe delays for games
    cannot mod the console YET
    some games required hard drive install, but it does mean game load faster.
    currently limited rpgs

XBOX 360 GOOD
    can mod the console
    premium online service
    headset included with the console
    exclusive DLC the ps3 doesn't have
    wider exclusive games than the ps3
    extended 3 year warranty (because of RRD problem)
    direct ipod support
    install full games to hard drive (current firmware)
    in game music for ALL games
    3 usb ports
    more rpgs, it seems all the rpgs have favored the 360 this generation [​IMG]
    1080p HD gaming.
    HDMI

XBOX 360 BAD
    RRD
    power brick is huge
    discs can get scratched if you move the console
    overall quality of console is cheap looking
    have to pay for online service to play online on your games
    have to buy the wireless pads separately.
    DVD9 discs are limited compared to blu ray.
    to get wifi on the console you have to pay up to £50 for the adapter which adds up
    limited backwards compatibility with older xbox titles.
    pay for battery packs for the wireless controllers.
    controller is poorly designed compared to the ps3 controller. (this is down to personal taste of each gamer i guess)
    hard drive is limited to 120gb space.

i will leave it for you to decide what is best now.

14. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    Since you like the games on the 360 then get it... duh?

15. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The one difference that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is simply that:

PS3 online is FREE and has wireless built-in.

X360 costs £40.00 a year online and a further £50.00 to avoid having an Ethernet cable trailing up the stairs.

However, you can buy XL for £30 for a yrs subscription from eBay (I didn't know till recently) and you can use your laptop as a wireless bridge so you can go online with out the long Ethernet cables. The money you spend on an XL subscription in 3yrs could actually buy you a PS3...

16. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    wow don't listen to jalaneme. Everyone knows she is a sony fanboy.

oh and Jalaneme fyi the 360 has 3 usb ports.

17. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I ended up going 360, but the most important factor for a game console is which one has the exclusives you like. Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Resistance. Stuff like that, then you want the PS3. Gears of War, Halo, Fable then you go 360.

The one thing I've kept in mind and noticed lately though, PS3 exclusives have been jumping ship to multiplatform. Tekken and Final Fantasy are the big two that come to mind when that comes up. Not trying to start a war here, but I really wouldn't doubt any more jumping. Especially Metal Gear. That's pretty much Sony's last major exclusive, and if that jumps to 360 then...yeah.

Oh and jalaneme, the newer 360s aren't as loud as a jet aeroplane and the three year warranty only affects the RROD. If its any other problem then it doesn't apply. [​IMG]

She brought up valid points for both systems. As much as I prefer the 360 I'm not going to deny that some of her cons are dead on, like the 360 scratching discs thing. I don't mind Live not being free though, considering how rarely it ever goes down. And when it is they usually make up for it like last year's Christmas disaster. As opposed to say Home's screwing up for nearly everybody trying to do it.

18. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    Here's a point most of you forgot.
    Friends, sometimes it's better to choose the system most your friends have. I'm not trying to tell you to conform. But most of the current games have an online multiplayer, and with that in mind, it would be a lot more fun to play with your friends.

19. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Exactly why I got Left 4 Dead for 360 over PC. I can't believe I left this point out.

20. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    And the whole reason I got a 360. I don't know anyone with a ps3.  And I can't mention how many hours I've wasted playing multiplayer @__@.

I play more multiplayer than single player games lol.