PS3 Manufacturing Costs Down 70%

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rock Raiyu, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009
  1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    News Source: Kotaku

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Great, so Sony can finally drop the PS3 price to something reasonable, right?

....Right?

3. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    It's a possibility. I think I remember them saying the parts were the reason the price was so high. So if manufacturing costs for these products went down 70%, it'd probably be the same price as a Wii. Maybe lol

4. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    If it actually does see a reasonable price drop, I might consider one.

Though, I haven't been following along the PS3 scene at all, so this might be a dumb question... has anybody gotten pirated games and emulators to work on a PS3?

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Makes you wonder how much the cost of making the Wii is now... I mean it has yet to have any major price cut.

6. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    I think there is a NES emulator but I'm not sure of that.

7. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    IIRC, it was made using an exploit in BD-J, and was quickly fixed ages ago. I'm not too sure on this one, but I remember it running like crap.

8. feds4u

Banned feds4u Banned

United States
    I love my PS3 and I'm glad I bought it on day one. I've never regretted the purchase.

However price is not the issue with PS3 sales. Its public opinion.

The Xbox 360 elite is the same price as the PS3. And even the cheap arcade model is expensive once you factor in all the needed extras. (HDD, 1 Year Live, possibly a Wifi adapter, etc)

9. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Well, you can run some distros of Linux on the PS3...but you have no access to the graphics hardware, which sucks.

..but I hope this means a price cut's coming soon. I think the PS3's way too expensive right now.

10. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    This is quite a shame, I bought a PS3 mid June. They better cut the price of the PS3 soon.

11. cyr0x

Member cyr0x GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    You know what? I am glad that the PS3 is so expensiv. You wanna know why? Because I can enjoy a mature community without all those kids that can all buy a Xbox360 now.

12. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Just because the manufacturing cost goes down doesn't mean the price is going to go down. Though it is likely because Activision is really riding on Sony's ass.

13. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Unwanted mental image ;_;

14. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That is absolutely absurd, bordering on flat out wrong. Those kids are more likely to own a PS3 because it's bought with their _parents_ money. The person who won't buy a PS3 is the one that has to earn their own, and find a way to justify paying $600 for a video game system when they must be concerned over rent and food.

I'm confused at the article's statements. Is it down to 70% manufacturing cost, or has it actually been reduced by 70% as it seems to be claiming? Let's say it previously cost $100 to produce a PS3: this is the difference of it now costing $70 or $30 per unit today. If it's the latter, it would truly be unconscionable of Sony not to pass that on to the consumers.

Where the Wii is concerned, the sales _have_ declined but mostly because everybody that wants one already owns one. If Nintendo ever wants to truly appeal to the diverse audience that they claim, dropping the price would be the way to accomplish it. When it can compete closer with the PS2 price point, then I would even consider owning one.

15. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I call bullshit on a 70% reduction of manufacturing cost, that would make it ~$180. They would have surely cut the price to boost sales if that was the case.

16. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    its most likely down to 70% not reduced by 70%

17. Spiridow

Newcomer Spiridow Member

Switzerland
    Actually they did plan this. On a recent news on jeuxvideo.com, one of their trusted sources confirmed a price drop for the PS3 and launch of the PS3 slim.

This should be officially announced on August 18th at the Gamescon conference, they say.

Source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/0003600...se-confirme.htm

18. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    So if it is getting a price cut, they will most definitely get sales now. I don't mind paying $250 for it since its the price of the Wii and a bit cheaper then the 360 and for the PS3's hardware that's a good price. Let's hope its true.

19. kboxer

Newcomer kboxer Member

United Kingdom
    I own a Ps3 and have done since day 1 and can say the system includeing network play is easy 50% better than when it started. I know it played catch up with the xbox but it sure has now. Also the stuff you can do with it includeing internet streaming Blu Ray discs as well as playing Blu Ray discs by default, plus new stuff like trophies,vidzone etc if the price does come down it will be a major contender to the 360 much more than it is now.

20. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    my bro is importing a ps3 for us for 300$ which is actually 80gb... some offer i guess
    interesting to see how low it can get once sony is ready to do it so