Hardware PS3 loud when playing ps2 games

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to play some ps2 games on my ps3 slim and, it sounds like a jet engine taking off which made me alarmed I exited out of said ps2 game and it started to wind down on the xmb. I booted up MGS4 and read dead and it got noisy but not as bad as playing a ps2 game did. Does playing ps2 games make the ps3 go into a fit with the fans?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In PS2 mode there is no software fan control (since the PS3 OS isn't really running), so at least Webman sets them to a fixed, medium-high speed while a PS2 game is mounted

Reactions: Panzer_Baboon

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
In PS2 mode there is no software fan control (since the PS3 OS isn't really running), so at least Webman sets them to a fixed, medium-high speed while a PS2 game is mounted
i had this issue as well, and i thought it was my fat ps3 the cause because i had ylod on it a few times , so i went ahead and brought a slim ps3 from my friends shop home to test it, and it had the same problem, would go so loud made ps2 games unplayable due to the noise and ofc. i worry the ps3 getting very hot, is there a fix for this now? because if there is I'll consider buying a ps3slim.

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The lack of most PS3 OS functions is probably a big reason, but it's also worth noting that PS2 emulation - depending on game - is probably pushing your PS3 to the limits anyway, since PS2 emulation on a PS3 is barely possible. I didn't notice any serious jet engine noises when playing via Cobra but that's probably because I had other boxes running at the time which could have made it appear not as loud.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Go into webman and set the PS2 emulation fan speed to be lower. Your console will run hotter though. Make sure it never passes 80C. I think by default webman sets PS2 emulation fan to 35%. You may have that higher somehow. Check if its higher than 35%, if it is then lower it to like 40% or back down to 35%. Keep your eye on temps.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots