PS3 Firmware version 4.91 released (PSA)

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony has just released a new firmware update for the PlayStation 3 just around a couple hours ago. While Sony says it is to improve system performance and update Blu-ray encryption keys, please do NOT update your CFW/HFW systems until a exploit has been found for 4.91. Make sure you have webMan installed and use something like a system spoofer to bypass the update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-040826.png
    Screenshot_20240227-040826.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 39

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have no confirmation if this has actually patched anything yet. There is a good chance this may just be them updating the BD Keys.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've literally just bought a PS3 to put cfw on it, what great timing!

Is it safe to assume that I can follow a guide like normal to install up to 4.90 and then install cfw like normal?

I've seen there is a spoofing method after this so that you can still get access to PSN regardless, do this all sound about right or is it best to just wait it out until 4.91 is hacked and do nothing with my PS3?

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
I've literally just bought a PS3 to put cfw on it, what great timing!

Is it safe to assume that I can follow a guide like normal to install up to 4.90 and then install cfw like normal?

I've seen there is a spoofing method after this so that you can still get access to PSN regardless, do this all sound about right or is it best to just wait it out until 4.91 is hacked and do nothing with my PS3?
You don't really have to go on latest FW after CFW. You can install CFW on the latest supported version and stay on that.
Also, I'm not entirely familiar with this one, but I would stay away from PSN by any means if I'm on CFW to avoid any bans, especially with a main account.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't booted up my PS3 Slim for several months now so much less will I update it which I don't want either (even if there was a CFW update).

The damn thing is a bit noisy now so I reckon it's the thermal paste that needs to be replaced, I'll eventually take it to a repair store so they fix that.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BD keys is such bullshit - I've got a Sony bluray player that's a damn sight newer than my PS3, and that hasn't received any sort of update for several years... still plays disks that came out this year. Like I said, BD keys is bullshit.
That's actually why I gave up buying Blu-rays 'cause there was a time I didn't have internet and updating my PS3 just for the BD keys seemed unnecessary, especially since if you load it up on a PC you can freely access the files no problem.

Pirating is easier to watch a movie than a damn BD for me as I just open the file and watch it. 😑

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a PS3 Slim (320GB) so I'll just follow Mr. Mario's steps on installing 4.90 CFW.

It's just good to have a gaming console loaded with games at a house with no internet, at least you can be entertained for a while.

chris_j11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im currently in the last 4.90cfw Evilnat - are there any built-in tools that i can use to prevent ofw update
- i preferred if there is one instead of downloading another homebrew tools - XMB-Lock
- trying to simplify the gaming for the kids

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im currently in the last 4.90cfw Evilnat - are there any built-in tools that i can use to prevent ofw update
- i preferred if there is one instead of downloading another homebrew tools - XMB-Lock
- trying to simplify the gaming for the kids
Fair concern.

I've never had that concern personally and have my PS3 connected to the internet although it doesn't really do a whole lot, except it downloads a game patch if I run a game I've not played yet and it had one.

I mean, there's a YouTube app for PS3 and it (still) works, but it's vastly inferior to SmartTube on an Android TV box.

XFoxPrower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So sounds like it's a good idea to stick with 4.90? Sounds like we're only assuming that 4.91 has nothing more than Bluray keys. Also if one were to update, would we have to re-Hen?

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So I went to update to EvilNat 4.91 via USB but my PS3 already downloaded the OFW 4.91. Just downloaded it and it doesnt let me choose the USB to install the CFW from there. How do I update to the 4.91 CFW in the USB instead of the OFW that the PS3 downloaded?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went to update to EvilNat 4.91 via USB but my PS3 already downloaded the OFW 4.91. Just downloaded it and it doesnt let me choose the USB to install the CFW from there. How do I update to the 4.91 CFW in the USB instead of the OFW that the PS3 downloaded?
Re-run bguerville's PS3 Toolset and install CFW again.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/guide-jailbreaking-with-bgtoolset.33461/

The warning at the bottom of the first post in that thread specifically tells you NOT to update to OFW.

* Remember that after you install CFW, you should NOT install OFW or HFW! Only install CFW or Dualboot pup files.
This will cause you to lose the ability to install CFW. You would need to use bgtoolset again to rejailbreak. If you want to mess with HEN or play online with maximum safety, use duelboot pups instead - they are OFW and HFW pups that are patched to allow CFW to install on top of them without having to use bgtoolset again.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up