PS3 Firmware 3.21 Coming April 1st, Disables OtherOS Feature!

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 3,953
  • Replies 37

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*Looks at April 1st date*

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
I just love how the big guys @ sony was all "MUHAHAHAHAHA YOU CANT DO SHIT WITH YOUR HYPERVISOR HAX!, We got tha keys u dont! We are unhackable kthxbai".. Maybe its less secure than they thought and have gotten scared lol..

Way to go sony just nerf your console more... the loss of backwards compatibility was allready a huge nerf.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we all know why sony is doing this. Honestly, I use my PS3 mainly for blu-ray playback, so I will accept the upgrade. Also I look forward to the update that provides 3D blu ray support.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh, could be an April fools but they way they've worded it it might not be. Hmmm... Plus 3.20 was supposed to have 3D, yet this won't have 3D and it's over 3.20.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
usually updates for stable consoles should never be done unless the update specifics are important to u...
this is however strange considering security cuz we havent heard cases of hacking (against the user) or possibly they feel the OS can cause piracy which ppl have not discovered

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Destructobot said:
Sony's good at getting class action lawsuits filed against them. Having a major feature as a main selling point and then taking that feature away is pretty much guaranteed to get them another one. Sure, they'll say the update is optional, but as the source stated, it really isn't.

Edit: Not that the lawsuit would change anything; they'll just do it anyway and give everyone $6.84 in PSN points (or whatever they call their fake online money).
I don't know any one of my friends that uses this feature. A lot of people on this forum probably don't even know of it / use it either.

It's a feature, but hardly major.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Sony's good at getting class action lawsuits filed against them. Having a major feature as a main selling point and then taking that feature away is pretty much guaranteed to get them another one. Sure, they'll say the update is optional, but as the source stated, it really isn't.

Edit: Not that the lawsuit would change anything; they'll just do it anyway and give everyone $6.84 in PSN points (or whatever they call their fake online money).
it was never a major selling point, not even advertised really at all
they removed it with the slim and people made a slight fuss but really didnt care

now all of sudden this hack was released and now everybody is complaining even though they probably will and never use this feature other then to steal games (if anything worthwhile even comes out of this hack that is)

and fyi, they dont call their fake online money anything
its in whatever currency the country is

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too many people are making this a big deal. How many people actually utilized this feature besides the Linux developers themselves? Like a few hundred (or a couple thousand at best)? Linux, although really cool, isn't even necessary for a gaming console.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't be too worried about OtherOS going away.

If you've ever used it for day-to-day uses, you'd know that it sucks. The PS3 doesn't have enough RAM, even when using the special YDL build. It's too slow and doesn't have full access to the graphics chip. You can't watch movies on it. A *netbook* kicks the PS3's ass.

The only thing OtherOS will do for you is let you play around with the exploited hypervisor. Rest assured, the people who need to have OtherOS option have it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony is fucking stupid. how dare you take away products from the consumer. i am officially done with sony.

i've had 4 psps, two of which i still do and are broken but fixable. I've owned 1 umd. so they can beat it. i also robbed the mall of sony discmans when I was a kid too.

the only products i will buy from now on is nintendo and possibly some microsoft stuff for 360.

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@VashTS- If you are done with Sony because they remove OtherOS from there next update of the system, can I help do you a favor take all of your Sony products? I hate seeing anyone suffer

Kamina84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
April fools !!
biggrin.gif
I don't use it either; however, if they do actually get rid of it thou it will suck. At least we still have BC.
biggrin.gif

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'va a slim one so... I don't really care. But seriously, it wasn't a really useful feature, and I totally understand that Sony don't want the PS3 to be hacked... But on the other side, removing a feature isn't very respetful for the ps3 fat owners. I was shocked when they decided to remove the retrocompatibility feature for the new models...

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case there are those that didn't know, you can continue using 3.15 and get on PSN (as in buy and play games online, etc). It requires you run a proxy program on your pc or laptop, and configure as such your ps3. There are a bunch of guides on this crap site on how to do it. Just find one that works and you're good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too