DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what are some of the external hard drives people are using with their ps3s? i thought for sure my 750gb internal would be enough for me, i guess im wrong, i need at least another tb :| are there any good external drives that dont need external power supply, that get enough juice just from ps3? as said, at least 1tb

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya as of right now i want an internal drive, and gonna buy an aftermarket enclosure, question is, can usb power those drives? im looking for something w/o a separate power supply

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Generally if you want an enclosure that doesn't need power from the wall, it'll have to be a 2.5" (i.e. laptop/PS3 sized) HDD enclosure (which usually take power from 1 or 2 USB ports). EDIT: AFAIK, all 3.5" HDD enclosures need power from the wall.

2.5" HDDs are usually around $100 for 1TB, and another $10-20 for the enclosure.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microcenter sells them fairly cheap as well as Amazon and ebay. Stores like bestbuy, walmart and target have rip off prices on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-HDS721010CLA...e/dp/B003XP0JLY
A fairly cheap drive I don't really trust Hitachi but as long as it works who cares.

This Hitachi Hard Drive offers a combination of capacity factor and energy saving for your commercial desktop computers. This 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 hard drive probes media change rate performance by up to 13 rather than its precursors. Transferring the eighth-generation power management and conservation, HIVERT invention rank top among the 2.5-inch series of laptop hard drive. This brand-new desktop drive includes at most 18 vacant power savings, occupying the first power management and discharge.

It say 2.5 but for some reason I think it looks like a 3.5 inch.

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so even the wd caviar green series requires external power? this one is rated at 5v 0.6A while the 2.5 you linked to is rated at 5v 0.85A and you say it can be powered by usb alone, so the caviar green one should be able to get enough power from usb as well, right?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As far as power goes, what matters most is the enclosure. I've yet to see a 3.5" enclosure that can run off USB alone, and there are very few 2.5" enclosures that use external power - most are powered by one or two USB ports (the second to give it 1A of power).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up