PS3 E3 Flasher woes

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by metroid maniac, Sep 6, 2015.

1. metroid maniac
    OP

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    I have a PS3 slim (the CECH-20xxA variety) and an E3 Flasher.
    I've been following this guide to try to install a CFW on my system.
    I installed the E3 flasher and briefly tried powering the system on to ensure everything was working smoothly.
    The system seemed to be fine initially. However within a few seconds the fan gradually started accelerating until the point that it was louder than I'd ever seen it.
    I disconnected power quickly to avoid damaging the system. What happened?

2. hawks-soad

hawks-soad Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2014
    Did you replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, it could be getting really hot and the fan is going crazy trying to cool it down.

3. obs123194

obs123194 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    ^that's probably it plus you need to make sure the heat clamps are attached to the gpu and cpu chips with a piece of toliet paper to protect the mobo

4. metroid maniac
    OP

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, I gave the CPU and GPU a fresh covering of thermal paste. Do I need a lot or just enough to cover the whole surface?

I had the clamps attached on the back, with card preventing them from touching the mobo outright. Maybe the problem is that the clamps weren't fixed tight enough? I was wary against having them touch in case of shorting or something.

5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    tighten those screws all the way next time