Hacking PS3 CFW Backups from disc?

Josh192

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With a CFW installed on the PS3, can you run backups via disc? If so, anything special needed to burn? Also, with the keys release isnt backups via disc on the ofw possible?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RockmanForte said:
YES! According to PSX SCENE CHESH as moderator statement:

QUOTE said:
Once c4eva finishes what he's doing on the x360 scene, he has stated he was going to take a shot at BD firmware hacks for the PS3.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f187/will-ther...-backups-79346/
mthrnitesmiley.gif
If this indeed happens, I intend to step out onto the driveway, get on my knees, and shout to the heavens that there is a god! a warm, loving god who wishes for our happiness!
rofl2.gif

I will happily, and eagerly, be looking forward to this.
evil.gif

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Josh192 said:
With a CFW installed on the PS3, can you run backups via disc? If so, anything special needed to burn? Also, with the keys release isnt backups via disc on the ofw possible?

Running signed backup discs from OFW (if that's what you were counting on) doesn't really seem likely at this point, since with 3.56 Sony plugged the hole. Doesn't mean it might not still be hacked, but chances of just burning a disc and running it on any unhacked PS3 are slim to none.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg said:
Josh192 said:

Running signed backup discs from OFW (if that's what you were counting on) doesn't really seem likely at this point, since with 3.56 Sony plugged the hole. Doesn't mean it might not still be hacked, but chances of just burning a disc and running it on any unhacked PS3 are slim to none.
As they were with most other consoles too.

Last I recall, only the 3DO actually had no protections at all... which is kind of a fair trade, considering that the 3DO launched for a ridiculously high price to begin with.

The Dreamcast was the latest system that didn't really need a specific modchip, but it did require preparing the data accordingly, and in some cases where games did use the extra space of a GD-ROM vs. a standard CD-R, compression techniques were used. In much the same way, 360 games still need to be verified and data organized the right way to avoid an obvious ban.

Some PS1's could be tricked into playing backup games w/o a modchip by simply prepping the regular game via CloneCD and burning the copy onto a black-bottomed CD-R. But they were also quite failure prone.
closedeyes.gif
PS2 required a modchip, or a very risky swapdisc method that only assured trashing its already weak drive optics faster. The flip-top nature of the PStwo's might help for the swap-disc method sure, but it also was still a weak laser/drive anyway. My 'chipped PS2 had additional wiring done to play DVD±RW's but it was also reinforced and capacitors replaced to compensate... which is probably why it's lasted far longer than any of my playstations before it, or since... even from before modification was even considered.
mellow.gif

Still, I look forward to a drive firmware mod for the PS3... especially if it'll at least allow me to play my backup PS1/2 games; hell, for me that alone would be enough to make me happy.
nayps3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: if only it had as much capability/power as i do omw to your mom's place