PS3 bad .pkg install

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by SickPuppy, Dec 7, 2012.

Dec 7, 2012

PS3 bad .pkg install by SickPuppy at 2:25 AM (630 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. SickPuppy
    OP

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    I've had a bad .pkg install to my PS3, and now there is an unknown folder displayed in the games section of my xmb. I tried using the triangle but there is no option to delete it. Does anybody know where I can look on the internal hdd to find it so I can remove it manually?

2. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Unfortunately, what you see on the xmb is built into a single file (they are like shortcuts to the actual information). What happened is that you have a entry in this XMB file that does not refer to a correct physical location on the harddrive.

You should be able to go into recovery mode and rebuild the database which should fix it.

3. SickPuppy
    OP

United States
    That sound over my head, I've never rebuilt anything PS3 wise. Is it complicated?

4. SickPuppy
    OP

United States
    nvm, I googled it and it seems simple. Just one question though, will rebuilding the database remove cfw? That wasn't mentioned in the post I read.

edit - everything went ok, cfw still intact and the offending unknown folder has been removed, thanks for the help.

5. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Glad I can help, I didn't want to make it seem that you had to actually do any work. It just rebuilds a couple of things including the xmb file

6. SickPuppy
    OP

United States
    I spoke too soon, the rebuild moved the corrupted data folder inside another folder on the xmb, I really don't know where that folder came from, it was there after I installed a spoofer. Regardless, I'm updating my cfw kmeaw 3.55 to something more current, maybe that will take care of it.