PS3 Backup and Service

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by JFTS, Jun 16, 2014.

1. JFTS
    OP

JFTS GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2011
    Fiji
    It seems that my PS3 fat is one step from getting the YLOD. It's just too noisy and some games (especially the heavy ones) freeze in less than 5 minutes. I decided to get it serviced (cleaning, changing the thermal past) but I have one question. I would like to make a backup of the HDD first with all its contents. I am on Rogero 3.55. Will the system backup option copy everything on an external drive or will it copy only the "official" folders and not the ones created by the CFW? I'm most concerned about the GAMES folder where the 3.55 backups are located. If that's not possible, could I copy each game manually (letting backup manager split each large file automatically)?

Furthermore, to double-check the facts. Generally speaking, servicing the hardware has nothing to do with the firmware, right?

2. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    I wouldn't count on the official backup utility, it's a huge pile of shit that never works correctly. You're better off going into multiMAN and copying all the relevant folders.

3. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    The official backup will backup the GAMES folder and Saves pretty much. However, it will take AGES to do so. Not worth the hassle. You're better off as the first post said - to export them via multiman.

Though if you're just having it serviced (cleaned, thermal paste) why are you concerned about the hard drive. It shouldn't be touched unless you plan on upgrading the FW or just formatting it completely.

4. JFTS
    OP

JFTS GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2011
    Fiji
    I just wanted to clarify that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!