Ps2 won't play ps1 game

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
To confirm, the game is the same region as the console and the TV (i.e. it's a PAL game on a PAL console on a PAL TV).

Does it happen with other games (both PS1/PS2)? Is the console modded in any way? What AV connection? Have you tried a different TV?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Ninnikris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
To confirm, the game is the same region as the console and the TV (i.e. it's a PAL game on a PAL console on a PAL TV).

Does it happen with other games (both PS1/PS2)? Is the console modded in any way? What AV connection? Have you tried a different TV?
It is the same region yes.. It only happens when I try to play a ps1 game on the ps2 console, the ps2 games works just fine.. The guy at Playstation support thinks it might be the hdmi caple, I've called the place that I got the cable from and he says it only supports ps2 games, so I think I need another hdmi adaptor, but I'm not sure which one will work the best

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It is the same region yes.. It only happens when I try to play a ps1 game on the ps2 console, the ps2 games works just fine.. The guy at Playstation support thinks it might be the hdmi caple, I've called the place that I got the cable from and he says it only supports ps2 games, so I think I need another hdmi adaptor, but I'm not sure which one will work the best

Probably not the best solution, but my pressed copy of Rayman on the same screen worked fine on my OSSC with component cables, my PS2 and game are both PAL.

However, I wouldn’t describe it as ‘Plug and Play’ since the OSSC might need configuring to get the ‘best’ from it.

MottZilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say that it will help, but have you tried unplugging and plugging the hdmi adapter after starting the PS1 game? It's worth a shot since it costs nothing. It might help it regain proper sync/vertical hold.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Help, my screen scrolls when I insert a ps1 game in my ps2 fat, what to do?
I've seen this kind of thing happen before when trying to display a PAL game as NTSC or vice versa (because the TV was set incorrectly) but as far as I know, modern TVs should support both PAL and NTSC and automatically set to the appropriate setting for the input signal. But just to make sure... The game and console are from the same region as your TV?
Edit: Nevermind, I see this was already answered.
Could definitely be the HDMI adapter, it's probably doing some sort of upscaling to a guaranteed supported display mode (like 480p or 720p) and PS1 games use different display modes than PS2 games, so it's possible the adapter just doesn't support certain display mode inputs.
In any case, the upscaling the adapter is doing probably isn't any better than what your TV does natively, so if your TV takes composite or component inputs, you're better off just using the appropriate cables for that instead. But I realize some modern TVs these days no longer support composite and component inputs. The best bet is a high quality upscaler such as a Framemeister or RetroTink (the RetroTink being the affordable option)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, what do you two think?
  • light27 @ light27:
    it was like
  • light27 @ light27:
    "wake up dr frema. wake up and smell da ashes.."
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, did you reincarnate?
  • light27 @ light27:
    yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    also another thing, why do i always open gbatemp chat at the most unfortunate times
  • light27 @ light27:
    you guys need to stay away from @AncientBoi o.o
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, why is talking about my birthday something bad?
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait what? oh
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire